Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Novia Map - northern and nortwestern areas....

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Raven Swiftbow, Aug 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

First off, I *do* love all of the changes that have been taking place on the Novia overland map. I can tell that all the wonderful artists have been working hard to improve it - and I'm sure it took a lot of work to just get the entire Novia map in for R20.

From what I have been able to see, I presume that they are still working on it and that some of the areas that are now just 'green carpet' will eventually be filled with trees and whatnot.

But here is my request....

Can we *please* have more snow - particularly in the northernmost and northwestern areas of the map? I, for one, expected Norgard to be a snowy place. I expected the area of Noreach and even perhaps as far south as the Paladis shardfall to be areas which tend to have snow.

Surely
    global warming has not already come to Novia! But instead I saw palm trees on the map. Oh no, lol! [I am presuming that they were just placeholders...]

So that is my request/hope - that there will be regions of Novia that have snow more often than not. Among other things, I think it will help the world feel even larger, as we traverse across it.

Thank you for any consideration you can give this request! :)

2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

The problem here is that Novia is simply *one* continent in a greater world map, and appears to be right on the equator.

In the grander concept, there are actually continents above and below the map we currently have available which are closer to the poles : https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/benefactor-cloak-symbol.5858/

3. Raven Swiftbow

:( But we could still have some snow! I mean, a place named Norgard and Noreach? And no snow?

4. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Reviewing Birko's map, there are a couple of areas with mostly snow, one centered around Vertas. And others around high altitude terrain.

Just no vast tundra plains though. Perhaps the names you refer to are due to the Northern inhabitants who settled there, and not because of the actual climate of the region ?

smack likes this.
  5. Raven Swiftbow

I will wait and hope that the Devs are not going to deny us any snowy regions except for snowy mountain PoTs and control points.....

FrostII and Lockeydragon like this.
  6. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

I'm sorry, but I am with Raven on this. There are areas that need to be treated as colder climates. Which means Different plant life (sorry no palm trees) With snow in the mountains, on the trees, bushes, etc. and yes, snow falling at least part if not most of the year. To have all of it be desert, temperate, tropical is illogical for a continent that will be this large.

7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I've read that thread and - while interesting - it is mostly conjecture and speculation on what is where and what is yet to be.

However - looking at some of the already named places: "Oso" (Oslo), Valhold ( Valhalla ) and Norgard ( Norway ) - having hopes for a bit more snow in the mountains and forests seems reasonable, IMO.

I agree with Raven.... ;)

Lockeydragon and Budner like this.
  8. smack

smack Avatar

Precisely. Perhaps they need to increase the vertical scale on the overworld to clearly show you're travelling at higher altitudes. Also, until they fix / reveal the true latitude/longitude values on the Novia map, we'll never really know where it sits within the larger world of New Britannia.

KuBaTRiZeS and Duke Raas like this.
  9. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I dunno what to think about the snow. I liked Duke Raas' comments. Assuming this planet works like the earth, snow makes sense in the north ..... if .... Novia is the one of the northernmost maps of the total game world. If there are other islands north of Novia, to be revealed later, perhaps snow in Novia only makes sense on the highest peaks as we see it now. In general though, I agree that more snow would be aesthetically appealing.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  10. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Remember that not everywhere north = colder.

If we're in the equivalent of the austral hemisphere, then north = warmer. Speculation: Brightbone Pass, indeed a snowy/frosty area, is on the southern part of Novia.

FrostII and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  11. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

You also can get snow the higher in elevation you go. That's how you get snow in Hawaii. :)

We can and do get snow all year round in the high country of Colorado. So it will be hot as the dickens down on the plains, but can be having a snow storm up at the high mountain passes. :cool:

FrostII likes this.
  12. chunderbun

chunderbun Avatar

There will be seasons for the world in the full release, so you'll get your snow in more places than just the North.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.