On the topic of music, what did you listen to while playing UO?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mystic, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

For some of us, some of the most memorable moments of UO was the music which helped augment the gameplay.

So apart from the UO soundtrack itself, what are some of the albums and songs you use to listen to while playing UO?

Salix likes this.
  2. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

GWAR & PVP usually go together well.

3. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

4. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

most of the music vids you gotta watch on youtube - so post them like Deathblow did...

5. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

I don't generally play my own soundtrack when playing games (with a few minor exceptions like Forza). I like to listen to what the developers crafted to go along with their game. In UO I listened to the music from the game, I loved it [and still do]. I always hoped there would be more tracks than the ones included. Hopefully this game will provide more.

6. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

Erth and postulio like this.
  7. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

@Deathblow
    Love stones. Forest theme was great too,

These sound redone though, I have the original MIDI files at home and they sound a bit different.

Love Ocllo and Cove too, as well as the new Minoc theme.

8. Salix

Salix Avatar

Same here. I never listen to music, besides the game's original soundtrack, while playing - or while doing anything else, for that matter (even though I am a modest musician myself, having played the drums and guitar for years, so I DO love music). The reason I don't do it is simply because I find it distracting. Like right now: I could have the TV on and have some music in the background while skimming the SotA forums, but, for the most part, it is very distracting to me, so I prefer to focus on one thing at a time. Not wanting to drag this useless bit of personal inuendo on, but I see a lot of my younger college buddies listening to music while studying or reading, and I just can't do that. Maybe it's how I was brought up, or maybe my older OS isn't very good at multitasking :p

On the subject matter, I was playing Half-Life 2 this weekend and noticed how scant the soundtrack is in that game - and how suitable and great it feels. On the other hand, I've resorted to listening to music while playing more "repetitive" games, like MMOs and the such.

One recent soundtrack I found extremely good was for the game Sang-Froid. Here is the main theme for it:

9. Salix

Salix Avatar

Who could forget the "Marketplace theme" from Ultima VII?

Ultima VIII had a freaking good soundtrack as well (I loved that game's setting and overall atmosphere):

10. stile

stile Avatar

For me the answer is usually the TV. I typically have sound muted in a game. Don't get me wrong, I like to listen to it a couple of times, and when I'm grouping ill often turn it on as that's where my focus is (the game), but overall I prefer to have the TV going when I'm not heavily involved with a group. Additionally my gaming set up is based on a recliner in the living room. Lot of reasons for this:
    1- Im not hiding myself away in some room in the house from the wife, dogs, and daughter.
    2- A recliner is a lot more comfortable then any other set-up, although I do use a gaming trackball rather then a mouse. It does get a bit crowded when i have all 3 dogs and keyboard on my lap at same time (like now).
    3- Well, and the Tv is nice when doing simple stuff like crafting and I can listen to or watch it based on what im doing to different levels.

The Franklin Neumann project though is very fantasy feeling music. Heck would be a great soundtrack for a MMO, especially the Symphony of Men pieces. A friend in the UO days introduced me to them. http://www.fnpmusic.com/

I remember in kinship Village on Catskills once, someone was "singing" (typing the words), to Jethro Tull's Broadsword and the Beast. A very fitting fantasy themed song.

11. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

When I play, I usually don't have music on. I turn the game sound effects up, and music off.
    Maybe it's because I'm partially deaf, and can't separate music from voices and other sounds. It all just comes across as an unintelligible rumble.
    For me, it's either music or game. Not both.

12. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Same here.

13. Père Fouettard

Père Fouettard Avatar

Rage Against the Machine's self titled album & Battle of Los Angeles and Silverchair's Frogstomp & Freakshow
    Oh how the time's they do a'change...

Jacques-le-Nimble likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.