The players story "vs." the story of the game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oceania Crest, Aug 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oceania Crest

Oceania Crest Avatar

Hi everyone!

As some of you, I played many MMOs. The Story was always the same. You had thousands (or more) gamers and everyone was the hero who was supposed to save the world.
    And if one or oa group of "heroes" did the job and slayed the final boss, well the "thread" was still there to give aaall other gamers the opportunity to slay the "world boss" over and over again.

I guess it sucks to be a mob. To stand or walk the same area, and to get slayed a 1000 of times/day. ;)

But back to what I want to ask: How will YOUR story and the worlds story it be in SotA?

- Is the "destiny" of the gamers char already written? Means as more he/she proceeds it closer it get's to the "world boss"?
    - What happens if the "world boss" is killed? Does everything remain as it is, or does the story of the game changes?

I personaly hope that it will be like in a TV serie/show. Means if one evil villain is gone/killed, there will be sooner or later a new one. Maybe a more powerfull and evil one. :D

I know SotA will be more dynamic in "questing" and you need to explore the world with your eyes and ears (and brain... ;)) and not just run to the next "?" or "!" to proceed.

That's a major point why I am more interested in SotA then in TESO. Because TESO still has the idea of: "YOU (means everyone who palys it) are the Hero who saves the world from the evil thread."
    Means no matter how dynamic they will do the questing, the destiny ofyour char is already written in stone.
    That's o.k. ok for a single player/stand alone fanatsy game, but too casual for a MMO, if you ask me.
    But neough "flaming" against TESO. ;)

But I hope that als Counts for the "world boss". Because it is not special if you killed the "world boss" if you know hundrets before you and/or after you had done/did the same.
    So any infos on that? :)

2. hanskrsg

hanskrsg Avatar

I have no info, but I do have an idea. However neat it would be of having a continously changing world, where your actions mean something, I don't think we'll see this in any MMORPG, as you would have to create new content every day to keep up. There is always a few people that "finishes" the game in a matter of days after launch, and then they would have to change out every boss and add to the story right away, then the new bosses they created would be killed probably very swiftly after that, and they had to create even more content. The frequency they would have to do big changes in the game would make it impossible for them to keep up, and make it economically viable. I do hope that in the single player version, that when you kill a "boss" that this boss stays dead. They could even make that work in an MMO setting as well, with heavy use of instancing (if you hate it or like it, is another discussion), but then, even if you kill a boss, someone else could kill that boss after you, so that all content didn't need to be changed all the time.

3. Oceania Crest

Oceania Crest Avatar

Well, I am tlaking about significant impacts, like killing the "world boss". Even in WoW (sorry to mention that game here! ;)) it didn't happen the 1st day, not even the first week or the first month.
    I don't expect to makes big or anychanges for every "dungeonboss" who get's defeated.
    But the truth is: If you want to make an impact, make the players actions mean something. everything else will make no difference to any existing MMORPG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.