Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R22 Loot system

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Abydos, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

The system seems to work well and It gets better with time.

But one thing is hitting me hard.

Only two items and a trophy can be looted.

I agree that for now, we test the system, but it will necessarily revise upwards the number of items that we can take on a corps.

As many PvP players, i am for Full LooT. I understand the reasons for which we do not have it at launch, but 2 items + 1 trophy is really unacceptable from my point of view.

I am confident that we will find a solution.

In Sota, PvP is a choice and not an obligation. PvP players want something close to the Full LooT.

-Abydos

Plz, no ransom on Trophy !

mbomber, Hedbert, cariac and 10 others like this.
  2. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Yes, at the moment we can't get any trophies since the ransom cost is really low and everyone just pays it. It would be nice if a trophy is a 100% drop.

Leostemplar, smack and Abydos like this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You really need to Stop with the full loot idea, NOT going to happen - get over it.

As for ransom for trophies - agreed, they are trophies and should not be able to be claimed. It is not lost to the victim, so why give them the chance to get it back.

Xenolivar Woengus and Chris like this.
  4. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

yknow, it is funny. simply because there IS loot, i refuse to pvp in this game. 0 is my max..

trophies, yes. trophies. i don't think 100% should be the drop rate, but i do think the cost of the trophy should be relevant to the skill level and adv level of the person you killed, vs your skill level and adv level..
    lets say i'm grandmaster in four skills, and almost master in many others, and adv level 88. if i go kill a noob who just started, or a guy who only crafts....then his trophy could cost like 15 gold. but if i go kill violation or pk u, or envy...they'll be much closer to my levels so it should be like 15,000.. - but if that noob somehow gets a MASSIVE set of crits and out of sheer dumb luck and my stupidity kills me, my trophy should be closer to 45-50k gold.

note: i used arbitrary gold amounts to show the level of disparity i'd like to see. not the actual numbers used.

5. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

I just get killed in PvP.

I drop:
    • 1 Torch
    • 1 Raw Cotton (1/35 Raw Cotton)
    • 1 Abydos Skull

LoL

6. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Didn't ask for full loot, something CLOSER to full loot.

This is indeed laughable or maybe worth a tear or two...
    Nah too early for tears I'm going with laughter

7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The more you loot when you kill someone the more you drop when you are killed?

8. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

I'm taking this as a suggestion?
    If so wonderful! Then I could have my full loot... so not going to happen :(

Abydos likes this.
  9. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

We will continue to tune the drops but the first 20 or so I had were all pretty good. There is some logic in there already to make sure you get something decent.

BTW, if this turns into yet another full loot thread, it will get shut down and deleted. We get that some people want it but it is also what drove away a large audience from UO, split the world, and also just resulted in people not using gear most of the time to PVP. We want people to be able to have meaningful gear and USE IT. As we've said before, there will eventually be some zones that are full loot for those who want to try it but we're not going to force it on the entire server.

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

It seems like a viable way for people to scale looting to the amount they would like. This way the devs don't need to keep dialing it in.

Of course, for some, it's not about how much they drop. It's about how much someone else drops.

Lord Hettar Fimbultyr likes this.
  11. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

@Chris now you are just being paranoid no one is advocating full loot, we learned our lesson :p
    I am eternally grateful that you didn't shy away from loot entirely like most games!
    Also thought you had dropped full loot zones so your post made this one very happy :D

Sara Dreygon and Abydos like this.
  12. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

I'm not too worried @Chris , it is true that a UO, my valuable equipment remained in my chest :/ Some PvP players do not want that.
    That said, you should improve the system. Reagents, Potions, Resources and more could make very pleasant experience in my opinion.

13. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

First, I love the ransom system, it's well implemented as a first iteration.

I think your analysis on full loot is a good one. It can drive away players. However, I think there are two bigger problems with the loot system as it currently stands.

1. This is the easy fix. Players can get back their kill trophies by paying gold. So rich players will never lose anything. I think this is something that should be changed as soon as is feasible. If time is money, having a trophy is respect. You don't want your least favorite player building a houses out of your skull's. There shouldn't be an option to pay a ransom for a trophy.

2. This is the hard part. Levels matter way too much. People don't even try to pvp until they're high enough level. I grinded as much as I possibly could this release and I was still 40+ levels lower than platemail wearing 500 hit point guy. When my friend and I tried to attack this guy, he just stood there laughing at us because nothing we could do would even scratch him.

It's infuriating and it drives people away from pvp every bit as much as full looting would. Yet we don't seem to take this as seriously as we should. Chris, I believe that many players are stuck in an EQ, WOW mindset that says "If I'm level 70 and you're level 30, OF COURSE YOU CAN'T BEAT ME."

We'll I say that's our biggest problem with combat and pvp. That mindset.

Because if we're asking people to level for weeks or months or years just so they can compete in pvp, I don't believe that's a winning strategy. I believe that discourages pvp more than it encourages it. Sure, there will always be people that will grind it out and stand on the top of the hill victoriously. But those aren't the people you should be listening to. Those aren't the people that you need to engage. They do that in every game!

The people you need to reach are the people that just want a fair fight.

It stands to reason, that if I walk up behind someone and perform a stealthed sneak attack as they stand flat footed in non-combat mode, that I should score a pretty big hit regardless of level. But I did that multiple times and only scored 4 to 10 points of damage. Insane.

It's not a matter of increasing damage. It's not even a matter of lowering the defense of platemail or the Earth innates. It's a matter of intuitive balance. Just as RG would tell you that players should be able to sit in a chair because it's intutive, so too should players be able to kill a guy (or at least severely wound a guy) that's not paying attention and has a sword in his back.

We need to move away from this 500 hit point, spam heal, level for success combat system.

Elwyn, Jaxtron, Tracker and 2 others like this.
  14. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Thank you! I've been trying to tell people that for years. The nay-sayers always claim that it was the world splitting that drove people away, aka the creation of Trammel. Trammel was what brought them back!

As for the full loot scenes, like Chris said, we will have full loot scenes eventually, we just need to be patient.

Now to the OP, i think the trophy should be a 100% drop, like Weins201 said, it is not lost to the victim, so why not 100% it?

Katrina Bekers and charock like this.
  15. charock

charock Avatar

What people want?

full loot vs a torch + cotton ?

We need a balance.

Lord Hettar Fimbultyr likes this.
  16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

When trophies where being discussed, several people spoke up about not wanting gruesome parts with their name on it. 100% drop on a trophy would be fine but the ransom should be there. Maybe the ransom only removes the victims name from the trophy instead of the looter not getting a trophy at all.

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm afraid you probably have me to thank for that as it was Starr's response to my argument about people who don't want their body mutilated on death. The fact that you have to ask for no ransom on the trophy in part proves my point. I understand it's not a big deal to some folks but if the loser doesn't care they wouldn't pay the ransom would they? Ransom on trophies was Starr's answer to allow people to opt out of the extra potential humiliation of having their body parts out on display somewhere.

Removing ransom on trophies will absolutely guarantee that some people will.. under no circumstances PvP. (As several people have stated in other threads when this was first being discussed). I would think you would prefer more people at least trying out PvP than not.

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It's really more of a psychological issue. Just removing the name wouldn't be enough for some people. The knowledge alone that other players are taking your body parts as trophies and there's nothing you can do about it is a feature breaker. Should people care so much? Probably not.. but they do anyway. Whether it's offensive or just an immersion issue they can't mentally get past.

Personally, I don't get the need to take trophies off EVERY kill. I'm sure over time PvPers will be able to get a good sized collection.

19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Same, unless the trophy is also a crafting material I wouldn't keep one. Pack space is more valuable.

Now if a trophy was part of the bounty system, I can see that.

Elwyn likes this.
  20. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The reason no ransom on trophies is important is that a name has value where gold may not.

If you're a big loud mouth jerk talking about how great at pvp you are, but some guy has a lawn full of your trophies, that's the kind of thing I hate to suppress by allowing people to buy their way out of being the loser.

Risk vs. Reward.

If gold means less to you than trophies, then you pay the gold. That's now how this should work. You should lose what you most appreciate. It shouldn't be a mortal blow, it shouldn't make you leave the game, but it shouldn't be a cake walk either.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.