1st impressions 2 days in

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eshmunen Trismegistus, Sep 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eshmunen Trismegistus

Eshmunen Trismegistus Avatar

Great game so far and having a great, loading screen, time. So much to do and explore. Definitely have to, loading screen, rewire my brain again for this one lol. Game development has come a long way since i last, loading screen, checked it out and is starting look a lot more, loading screen, polished and perty to be sure.

Love the player city's and town concept as well and really looking forward to seeing them become more, loading screen, active. So much freedom in regard to character development so early in the game is a breath of, loading screen, fresh air instead of the same old stale, loading screen, formulas dished out over the last decade.

I think the future is looking bright for, loading screen, SoTA and look forward to seeing you all in, loading screen, game. Happy, loading screen, hunting all. :)

Peace <3

Gix, Mata, Manerd and 12 others like this.
  2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Load times are not optimized currently.

An SSD makes a huge difference though.

3. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I think --> not ;)

Alexander, Jatvardur, Epona and 3 others like this.
  4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Load times are a mix of hard drive performance and network requests. I have really fast internet, which may make a difference. Switching to a SSD greatly improved load times for me.

5. smack

smack Avatar

I notice almost no appreciable difference between my HDD and SSD and I've done specific timings on both too. I do have a fast connection (300mbps) and low latency to the game servers, so I'm sure there are other factors at play with my setup. Sure if you have a crappy HDD to begin with, especially cheapo laptop ones that spin at 3600rpm, then yeah an SSD could help. But for a desktop where most are already fast at 7200rpm and have large caches, your mileage may vary depending on what else is going on with your system.

In any case, I think the OP is spot on. Loading times will be optimized, but it, loading screen, can only do so much to, loading screen, improve the overall impression and, loading screen, perception of the game. I still think @Chris needs to implement my suggestion: if you have gobs of system memory (say, 16gb+), the Overworld should never be unloaded from memory so no loading screen needed when coming out of scenes. It would cut the number of times you'd see it in half.

Reducing the load times and the number of times you actually see it will greatly improve the experience.

Jatvardur, Heradite, Epona and 2 others like this.
  6. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Keeping the overworld (or most of it) loaded in volatile memory sounds like a great idea. Hopefully they can figure out a way to do that for systems with less than 16 gigs of memory though; some older chipsets don't even support that much RAM :( Maybe this would be possible if they were to optimize critical code in assembly language?

Sir Cabirus and smack like this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

We know these devs are insane, but probably not that insane to optimize certain parts in assembly (portability issues aside). :)

Logain and Sir Cabirus like this.
  8. Eshmunen Trismegistus

Yeah, i was being a lil cheeky maybe :p BUT i really do love the game so far and having a blast. 12 hours of play time yesterday just melted away into what felt like a 3 or 4 hour session and when that starts happening you know the devs must be onto something special imho. Will flip it over to my SSD and give it a whirl thanks for the heads up folks.
    Also thanks to the above posters for creating an informative conversation on the topic, much appreciated. Happy hunting all :)
    Peace<3

Epona, Sara Dreygon and enderandrew like this.
  9. Manerd

Manerd Avatar

After switching over to SSD could you come back and tell us if you think it is much faster. I switched and I can tell that loading screens are shorter.

Epona likes this.
  10. Eshmunen Trismegistus

So i made the switch to the SSD and it kinda felt a little faster and i went about my day. Then i read your reply and decided to do a small test sample using a stop watch and both Normal HD v's SSD. Here are the results...

I took 6 samples from each drive over 2 zones (Desolis and East Reach Gap). I am also gimped by the fact i play from Australia.
    @Desolis, normal HD. zone in time average 13 seconds, zone out 20 seconds
    SSD, zone in = 13 sec, zone out = 20 sec

@East Reach Gap
    Normal HD, zone in = 11 sec, zone out = 13 sec
    SSD, zone in = 11, zone out = 13 sec

Well i guess the SSD (for me) being faster was just in my imagination lulz.
    Specs.
    OS, win 7
    CPU, intel i7-4790 3.6ghz
    Gpu, GTX 750ti
    Ram, 16g Ripsaw gaming.
    HD, Pioneer BD-Rom BDC-207D SCSI
    SSD, SanDisk SDSSDHP 128g SCSI
    Rig approx 12 months old

Peace :)

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  11. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Thank you for your measurements. It seems you are the first one after me who did this :)

12. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Pre-Alpha. Not Optimized. Enough said :)

13. Eshmunen Trismegistus

My pleasure, i would never dare claim to be a statistician :p but i was mighty curious once the question was asked hehe. Also, as Arradin pointed out, it is indeed Alpha and i have no doubt the devs can whip out there +4 Cobalt Iron of smiting and smooth out this wrinkle out post haste :)

Peace <3

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  14. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome breach3174!

(Ich schwöre, Portalarium hat positiv an der Performance geschraubt. :) )

breach3174 and Sir Cabirus like this.
  15. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

It's pre alpha in fact ;) And as DarkStarr already mentioned there is hope
    This is scheduled for release 24.

Epona, breach3174 and Mata like this.
  16. Eshmunen Trismegistus

That is good to hear Sir Cabrius and thank you for the heads up good sir :) <3

Sir Cabirus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.