Magic: Why is it fun?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Beaumaris, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Questions on magic for the grand master mages out there:

- Are you finding magic to be highly engaging and fun? Is so, why?

- What stands out as the best aspects of magic that 'must not change' in future releases?

- What is the one aspect that 'must change' to make magic more fun?

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  2. Nubelite

Nubelite Avatar

The wide versatility of spells plus cloth armor is why i think mages are awesome. Yes cloth armor because it is a distinctive look that mages have.

What would need to be changed is their DPS. Mages should hit hard and be hit hard. I think a tank pet early off would be the best for balancing a mage. Would increase their PVE survival without giving them an advantage in PVP.

3. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

I personally find magic to be fun because I enjoy what it thematically represents. I like playing smart characters that solve problems with their brains, and magic lets me do that in games where most of the problems are monsters trying to kill you.

The thing I like most about magic in SotA is the large number of magic schools that form a complete spectrum of how the universe can be manipulated, rather than the seemingly arbitrary, often overly specific magic classes in other games.

What I think would make the magic game more fun would be more meaningful specialization, since it seems to easy to just cherry pick all the best spells.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  4. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

yes
    the deck system
    its really hard to choose one aspect, because so many factors that will make magic more fun aren't in game yet. I would say balance.

5. padreadamo

padreadamo Avatar

- Are you finding magic to be highly engaging and fun? Is so, why?

Magic itself, not auto attack, is rather engaging and fun. The spells in the game are interesting. However, there is a good bit of repetition in the trees. I suppose that's for balance purposes. I would really like to see a far more immersion casting animation though.

- What stands out as the best aspects of magic that 'must not change' in future releases?

Spell weaving is a really cool concept. I like it.

- What is the one aspect that 'must change' to make magic more fun?

I believe we need more utility trees. We need illusionists, debuffers, enchanters, etc. Like melee, there is a need for more diversity and more immersion through said diversity with additional trees or adding more to what we have.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.