Need some help with skills

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BoristheImpaler, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoristheImpaler

BoristheImpaler Avatar

I have some questions about skills that I can't find the answer to anywhere else.

1: "If you want to focus on a skill to raise, turn off skilling on other skills to make it skill up faster." Does this include all skills (combat, magic and strategy)? Or are the skills that matter only in the same category (all combat skills, etc.)? Or are the skills that matter in the sub-category (all death magic skills)?

2: Does using a glyph in a combo skill up both skills? I have 2 glyphs I use for a combo, one is at level 7 and the other is at level 3.

3: I came across a thread talking about a limit to how many skill points you have to spend and there is no way to respec. This info is not on the wiki or anywhere else I looked. What is the limit?

4: Why are reagents so expensive? I got a summon skeleton spell that I can't afford to use. When I watched someone on youtube, they used summon skeleton constantly. Do they know of a place to find cheaper reagents? How can they afford to use glyph so often?

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Yes ALL skills that are possibly releated could use some points - now if oyu have LAOT in yout pool not a big deal but for example in Taming when one of the innates goes up 3 points are posted to the inates (all of them) soo if all 4 are turned up 2 get a point and 2 get 1/2 now if only one is turend up it gets all 3

This seems to work in skill Innates get a pool and skills get direct bumps Take Archery - Aimed shot if used get a raise and all the innates get a raiseif they are ALL turned up but if only one the same # of points goes to the innates set to raise - now the question is how does dex, str, weapon preservation, etc get points??? Are they from the same pool , but I am under the impression since they are a separate tree that they get their own points?

Soo I would focus and worry about skill trees and spread out withing themselves.

A lot of players had a huge pool pf ponts that was setup in R22 - in R23 everyone will start out as a new player and specific training and thought will be required, and yes once you train a skill you cannot just turn it "down" and move the points elsewhere, You will have to train the other skill up and the one you don't need / want will eventually (over a LONG LONG time) decay.

You do not need any reagents for any spells, (I think this is pathetic) but you just have a longer cool down and more focus used :-(

3. BoristheImpaler

BoristheImpaler Avatar

I'm sorry, I'm really confused by your answer. Could you be more specific?

"Yes ALL skills that are possibly releated could use some points" - ALL skills (combat, magic, strategy) or ALL skills (only in combat) or ALL skills (only in death)

"You do not need any reagents for any spells, (I think this is pathetic) but you just have a longer cool down and more focus used" - If I have no reagents for summon skeleton, the fizzle chance goes to 99%.

4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok related skill say you are swinging a sword - all related skills are STR, DEX, Weapon Preservation, in the focus tree there are some focus skills if they are turned up, in the sword tree there is the skill chosen and the innates, If you have the earth tree and Attunment with Earth it can also gain. that's is not all of them but you can get the idea - Any associated skills can gain.

5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

If oyu find me in Game "grumpie Weinine" ill help ya understand more

Yeah but try and cast it you will still succeded more than the 99% :)

6. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

1. Weins201 answered this one already pretty clearly in his second post. If you use a certain skill over and over in order to train it, not only will that skill increase in level, other related skills will also increase in level. Related skills need not be in the same skill tree. Since you only have a limited amount of accumulated adventurer experience to "spend" on increasing those skills, you can level up faster in the skill you want to focus on by switching the other skills to maintenance mode (i.e. not train them). I haven't seen any charts of which skills are affected by which.

2. I would like to know this, too. I use a combo (Fire Arrow + Death Ray), but I haven't paid attention to whether either skill has levelled up through use of the combo.

3. If I understand the question correctly, I think these are two separate issues. The posts that I have seen about the inability to respec referred to the fact that once you learn a skill there is no button to unlearn it. Perhaps mastery of the skill will eventually decay after an extended period of non-usage, but in the meantime, glyphs for these unwanted skills clutter the deck-building interface and can't be removed. It is quite possible that that will change, though. Regarding the limit of skill points one has to spend - as far as I know there is no hard cap. You have to "earn" experience by adventuring, and while you are adventuring this pool of experience is spent on improving your skill level in skills you use. Your accumulated pool of experience is shown at the bottom of your screen in the form of a bar. Fighting low level mobs at Solace Bridge, I can see my own adventurer experience bar being slowly depleted as my combat skills level up. I assume that it is time to move on to more difficult mobs which will give me a higher level of experience if I manage to defeat them.

4. Reagents are indeed expensive, but as Weins201 has pointed out, they don't seem to be really necessary to cast some spells. This too might change. In the meantime, my mage spends a lot of time looking for and gathering reagents. My spells fizzle a lot. I am not sure if that is solely due to my wearing plate armor or if lack of one of the needed reagents also plays a role.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.