Concerns of a crafter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by codedragon76, Nov 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. codedragon76

codedragon76 Avatar

I try to log in and mess a little bit with the game every release, but I am starting to get a little concerned there is not enough consideration given to crafters and economy at this point.

So far this is my experience in crafting. Step one, raw materials. So nobody sells raw materials, so I must go get it. Fine. I find somewhere there are resources and am forced to keep fighting monsters as I gather. I hate fighting, but I guess I have to. Now I return to craft something and the crafting is instantaneous. No game play, just drop some stuff on a table and poof. No time to make, no skill, just blam! Here is a sword. The only part of the process that takes time is fighting monsters and walking with 300lbs on your back.

I would like to see a way to gather supplies without having to beef up on combat skills. I would also like to see crafting take a little time and skill. Maybe a mini-game. As it is right now, there will be little call for crafters since you will have to be a decent warrior for supplies, and it will be simple for warriors to just make their own items.

2. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Good point.

3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I'd like to see crafting become a lengthier and more interactive process. Instead of needing 20 trees to make one bow, you only chop down one tree, but it is interactive and takes time to chop down the tree. Refining the wood is interactive and takes time. Crafting the bow is interactive and takes time.

And the finished good needs to be worth money.

Most crafted items are worth less than the raw goods they come from, which is really odd.

4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Sorry but gathering will be a group thing if you do not want to fight you can go out with a friend who can fight while you gather. If you are a Founder or RF you can use your Mimic to andle stuff in lower tier ares to manage the spawn while you gather.

As for crafting being not needed, you have to consider that once the game launches the only items of value will be what is crafted, and some warriors do NOT want to craft so befriend them and go out with them let them fight and you can gather.

As for making stuff Interactive? it already is, what you you change to "interact" with your wood? And yeah one tree should have enough to make a bow - but it doesn't now :-( that is just fine.

The ecnomy will be player driven so worth is player driven, NPCs don't need to change anything as they will buy nothing and sell nothing unless a player has already introduced it.

If you need friends to go out with look me up ill be happy to let you tag along and as I train you canharvest, Honador Thanatoz

5. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yes... That is probably a symptom of missing work order mechanics, and a rather young economy with few high level gatherers (building up that Meticulous skill takes an age).

Everyone is simply using all the resources themselves to make higher level goods, or hoarding them for later releases on the assumption that they may be even more useful.

There is also the issue of being unable to sell portions of a stack, so finding that sweet spot of having just enough in each sale stack can be a pain.

Plenty of issues that I'm sure will be worked out in the future, but for the moment lead to a stunted market. :)

6. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Your perception is quite accurate so far. To craft you must fight.

7. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

Also sad that there is no enchanting skill tree vs. the current material ingredient based enchantment (or should I say enhancement) system for gear.

8. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

So agreed....I have been waiting for interactive crafting as well...Where is our interaction with the crafting process besides putting stuff of the table and clicking craft? It's not there. I still hope they will add a mini game aspect to the crafting like we had in Vanguard or even EQ2 would be better than nothing...

**events like burning my fingers, cutting my hand, table exploding etc etc etc...

I love interesting crafting not click and go crafting.

9. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

If you need a blue healer while you craft give me a call!

10. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

So, will being a 'crafter' and not a 'fighter' be possible in single player online mode? I wonder if this game plans to support this?

Chatele likes this.
  11. enderandrew

Single player online will still have player vendors that in theory you can buy raw goods from.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  12. Numa

Numa Avatar

I'd would really love to see a job listing board where I can offer money to other players to bring raw materials in. It should be accompanied though by a reputation system so people can see how reliable a gatherer or job-offerer you are.

13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Your Vendor will be able to have "buy" offers as far as i know.
    That's pretty close.

14. enderandrew

It has been requested but I don't know if that feature has been confirmed. And still people will need to find your buy offer.

A bulletin board in town with work orders would be best.

15. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

It's a visibility thing, maybe? More jobs in one place, more people gather to look at the jobs vs one vendor and hoping someone will visit your house to take up the job.

and I type too slow.:p

16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

There is no interwebz in Novia!
    Go and find them yourself!
    Ok, srsly, i see your point. I can even see me agree with it. But i don't see it as priority ;-)
    As soon as we are out of the constant reset phase of production this kind of posts will pop up in one of the forums anyway.

17. enderandrew

I don't want a global auction house. But a local bulletin board with local work orders seems reasonable.

18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Sounds good to me.
    Let every NPC "central" town has it's own for the region.

19. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

I agree that crafting needs to be interactive and more challenging than it currently is, but I must disagree with you on one point:

You don't HAVE to be a warrior to get resources. At least, you likely won't have to once the game gets closer to launch and more people are actively online. Right now the economy isn't anything resembling established. When the game gets closer to launch there will be a lot of people selling raw materials (or processed materials). We're not 100% sure what the economy of the game is going to look like at launch or after launch because it's not clear how many players will be playing at that time.

20. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

I agree. At launch (maybe earlier) the critical mass of players should be achieved. Then if you just want to be a crafter you can talk to someone who doesn't mind going out, slaying mobs and gathering resources. He/she can bring the resources back, sell them to you, you craft them into fabulous items and sell them at a profit to the aforementioned explorer/adventurer and anyone else. Everybody wins!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.