After a complete wipe or on game launch how to claim a lot?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CatherineRose, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Partly.
    The pot owner still can demand a rent from you.

2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Correct from a game mechanics perspective.

However some POT owners will use the kick from property function to charge rent or fees on top of the ones demanded by the game.
    The most obvious one being some guild POT which charge a guild fee on top where if you don't pay the guild fee they boot you from the POT as well.
    Others are built around the premise of pay gold rent or get out. Like Drocis' Rats' Nest. Where there are no other criteria than gold (and not killing Drocis).

While the vast majority of POTs won't charge a thing. (Including mine).

However since there are less deeds than there will be lots, it is really the customers market.
    So most POTs which will charge something extra will also have to provide something extra for their citizens, and if they don't then there are plenty of opportunities to move on to.

cartodude and Kara Brae like this.
  3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

POT owners can lock/unlock lots, even though the home owner also needs to pay rent on their lot deed. Because a POT owner can lock a lot, they can in theory demand their own separate rent. But most towns aren't doing that because they want people to live in their towns and their are some many POTs to choose from.

Aldo likes this.
  4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Lot deeds that come with a pledge are not taxed by the game and are called interchangeably tax-free or rent free lot deeds. These deeds can be placed in POTs or NPC towns.

Independently of that, POT owners have full control over who lives in their POTs. Some POT owners may charge rent to players for the privilege of living in their POT. (There is no game mechanic in place for such transactions.) I don't think many POT owners will do that, and those that do will have something very special to offer their populace, otherwise no one would choose to live in a town whose owner charges rent.

Aldo likes this.
  5. Palinor Tyne

Palinor Tyne Avatar

There are two types of rent [This is similar to Crowfall and more information about their system can be found at https://crowfall.com/#/faq/eternal-kingdoms.]
    1) Recurring Maintenance Cost (automatic)
    2) Property Tax (defined by POT owners or NPC town government)

Unlike Crowfall in which maintenance is reflected in the state of your property (IE the longer you go without paying then more of your property will degrade over time until nothing is left), SOTA is currently planned to have an all or nothing maintenance rent. Rent Free properties are basically maintained by an army of royal maintenance men (that are invisible in SOTA and planned to be visible in Crowfall). Depending on how detailed the future water effects get, SOTA may eventually have the rental decay changed to be more spread out and payments to have an incremental option. Since the rental system is only recently being tested and nobody knows how the housing economy will evolve, we can't simply assume that the system will be permanently the same system Portalarium defined in the Kickstarter.

The second rent of property tax can be defined by town owners and governments (Kingdom owners in Crowfall). This tax can be considered as a feudal trade for privileges. Your liege lord/town council can require either money or services. Instead of paying a tax you may have to help the lord/guild/government with quests or crafted items. Portalarium has not really mentioned any details about how guild and player controlled towns will work, so we can only guess about possible democratic and feudal systems. In the feudal system of Crowfall kingdom maps can be divided into regional subsections and other players granted lesser control of them. In turn, those regions can be subdivided into smaller provinces by the region holder and granted to other players. In Crowfall both titles and subtitles can vary depending on how much land you control. For example you might have a starting primary title of Count which could then be improved to baron by becoming a Knight(secondary title) for one or more other kingdoms. In SOTA we will probably not have our highest primary title be able to improve since our titles are actually one of the few things that is actually bound to account. We might however, have many local secondary titles for guild or town reputation.

If the (maintenance) rent free status was disconnected from the deeds and bound to our accounts as a new Royal Maintenance Boon a new feudal system could be made in addition to the town control system. The Royal Boon would basically act as a renewable trust account automatically paying your maintenance "taxes" from highest possible cost to lowest. A lord could reduce their own ability to autopay this "tax" and grant enough maintenance "tax" money to an Explorer so that they could become a {temporary}Citizen. A liege could promote a vassal for services in controlling a section of a town. If the vassal then leaves the game or becomes lax in their duty they may then have their grant decreased and be demoted.

6. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

This doesn't sound like SotA at all. Are you sure you are not interpreting certain things to fit into the Crowfall model?

mikeaw1101 and enderandrew like this.
  7. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

SotA has no system for tax going to a POT owner. If a POT owner wants to try and charge taxes, they have to handle it manually. And it seems most aren't charging taxes.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  8. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

There will be several wipes before launch, I can imagine... With the final wipe somewhere at the end of Beta or at Beta, it's not decided yet... There is a scheduled claiming method posted in the Community link based on when you pledged and how high you pledged, so there're windows for claiming for each group and they have said there will be plenty of space in game towns to accommodate everyone who pledged and beyond...

Keep in mind you will need to create your chr before going to the bank to get your deeds and hunting for your spot... Talking to the Town Crier will make it easy to find out if plots are available and direct you to them...

Ice Queen likes this.
  9. Palinor Tyne

Palinor Tyne Avatar

The devs have not differentiated between the two types of tax, yet have mentioned both of them eventually coexisting in the game. Instead of calling them maintenance and property taxes they could also be differentiated as federal/royal taxes and state/local town taxes.
    The eventual planned implementation of a general strategic system for town management (of any type of town) is dependent upon several base systems being put in place first. It is possible that it may not be fully implemented until a later chapter or at the very least the Flexible Placement system is designed. The flexible system is currently rated as the second highest priority on the stretch goal store (which is actually a poll to help the devs see what people would like done first) so it will probably be done before mounts and functional boats. Another base system is the player theft/ransom system which could be the key part used for the tax part of the town management system, since town leaders could "steal" deed access for a ransom/tax. Don't most people consider taxes to be theft anywayo_O

10. Phiedrus Oliva

Phiedrus Oliva Avatar

I have already seen POTs charging, if I remember well, 5USD per month that you could pay outside the game.
    This makes perfect sense:
    Once more people join the game, there will be no land for everyone. At that point POT owners can decide to charge. If they pay the rent to Portalarium, it is fair that they can fund that expense somehow. From the player perspective, it's a valid approach to rent a lot in a POT for a few bucks instead of having paid lots of money to own a town, and if they can skip the tax in the process, as the landlord would pay that in this model.
    Moreover, once someone is charging you, they'd better stick to their rules and provide a good service as a landlord. You have very little to lose if things go wrong, you just abandon the land and go elsewhere, but landlords can have their image severely impacted.

From someone who used to be a "POT owner" in Second Life.

11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@serolrom

Lots are plenty. It's the deeds that are rare.

When POTs were announced there was a misconception that lots would be the rare part and thus you get the false image that people would get 'forced' into living in POTs when the ordinary lots run out.
    However that relied on there being plenty of deeds to buy from NPCs just like we do now in pre-alpha. But that is not the case come launch by all the announcements that we have got from the devs. Instead deeds will trickle out and will not be available in abundant numbers.

...unless something big changes. DLMB and all of that.

12. Phiedrus Oliva

Phiedrus Oliva Avatar

Hmmm...
    Being that the case, I was quite confused. Interesting that is the deed the rare thing.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  13. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

And how/why are people so crazy about placement in a world that is not complete? I bet harvest or resolute will have wonderful spots available for me, especially since no one has seen them yet.

Spoon and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  14. Lord Essex

Lord Essex Avatar

I'll point out the minimum you need to get a lot deed right now is actually only $145.00 USD. Buy a Adventure pledge & buy a row lot deed from the add-on store. Even a couple days ago that price was only $130.00 USD until the sale on lot deeds expired. Now it might not be a RENT FREE lot deed, but it's not like you paying rl cash each month in rent, nor are you paying a monthly subscription fee either. Heck getting a basic account & a guaranteed lot that you can place for $145.00 USD is like paying for 1 year of UO subscription. IMO I don't think that's all that bad of a deal.

15. CetusRho

CetusRho Avatar

Going back to the discussion of the land rush - wasn't the land rush supposed to be staggered?

16. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Yes, there will be a staggered land claiming process. My only question is, will we be able to download the game and have our avatars appearance complete well before our land rush window opens. If we can't, those of us who wait for three hours or more for the download will be at quite a disadvantage.

17. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

From the sound of things Lots will indeed be plenty. I missed the PM yesterday and haven't had time to catch up but I have been told that a statement was made regarding Pots to the effect that currently there is no need seen to limit the # of Pots. I haven't seen any forum discussion on this but I know *I* for one was far less than pleased to hear this. Correct me if I'm wrong but in the universe my brain travels in it seems that MY asset (the lil old pot I own) is devalued if there are more of them.

18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

There were lots of player discussion back when they announced that the overland access POT would cap at 230, but that they would continue to sell POTs without overland access.
    Several people expressed similar views as you. Others the opposite. It did get a bit crazy, I even contributed a bit to that craziness myself since I thought it made very little business sense to continue in that way, better to cap it and see how popular they are at launch and adapt pricing and availability accordingly. They would make more money and get less dissatisfaction that way.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ard-cap-on-sales-of-player-owned-towns.33853/

But all of this was a while ago, Portalarium seems intent on selling POTs even after new years given the last announcement.

So if you don't have a plan on how to fill your POT then you better get one. Getting residents is going to be in a stiff competition unless they change plans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.