Decay: Worst Mechanic Ever

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Themo Lock, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stranger

Stranger Avatar

I would like to hear more about this Oracle idea that the devs have.

Yes, i see it solving our problem of having to worry about decay BUT it makes decay pointless because it will just become a habit for everyone to log on, visit the oracle, then go about their normal game play. If it is as simple as visiting the Oracle and saying "sorry I didnt play" in order to negate decay, then why have decay at all?

Ultimately, if this is how it works, the decay is only hurting new players (or stubborn/forgetful players) that do not know how the system works.

@Chris

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

We proposed this in R2, an easy skippable survey when you open the game with critical questions identified by the forum community. At some critical junctures we begged for the official survey.

The thing is... Chris doesn't want us to do that. He doesn't want players to affect the direction of this game, that would probably be bad for his reputation or something, its his game not even Lord British's game.

my brain is swimming...

Ice Queen and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Well I do not think its anything insidious like that. I do think however allowing a small group of people that have the dev's ear to make decisions for a larger group of backers without them being able to vet the process.

4. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Exactly

Moiseyev Trueden and Stranger like this.
  5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Which is why this is not posted in dev+

6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I do understand this. My point is that on the average we have from 40 to 60 people on during the day and down to 18 at night on the forums. If they sent an email out asking people to give their opinion on these matters then it might increase forum traffic and a more accurate representation of the public.

Moiseyev Trueden and Ice Queen like this.
  7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

When was the last time you felt anything you posted in dev+ really reached anyone ? I've stopped even reading those forums even if I was very exited to "participate" in what I believed would become the greatest game ever...

I don't really think its this insidious... I'm actually a fan of portalarium, really deep down I admire all they do... but do you see how were running circles ?

If I have to repeat again : Hey I do love Chris and admire his work but here's my feedback please don't hurt me... something is terribly wrong.

Dev's could have given a reason to refuse official surveys for important topics like death penalties... instead they let people make a fool of themselves with unofficial surveys which we knew full well would never have the scope or be taken seriously even in the slightest.

8. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Skill decay is a miserable idea.

Skill decay punishes someone rather than fixing a few fundamental problems. First problem is not wanting a single character to be able to maximize all skills. The second problem is to keep people playing by keeping a carrot in front of them (more skill levels.)

Skill decay is the absolute worse possible solution to these problem.

Simple solution, you only have so many skill points that can be earned. Assign those skill points as you see fit. End of story.

Alternative solution, you can earn endless skill points, but you can lock a certain number of skills so they NEVER decay. Limit the number of skills that can be locked.

Please fix this system sooner rather than later. Don't make this game into a tedious, annoying, life consuming, disaster. We have enough tedious, annoying, and life consuming disasters in the real world, why would we pay money and spend our free time experiencing another?

Come on Shroud Developers, you are better than this.

Thanks

Tyde, Acred, Womby and 10 others like this.
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thats the thing Ravicus, they're already overloaded with feedback, you can bet they never expected to work this hard.

For this all props to them ! they've done a wonderful job of making patch notes, having people know priorities and order of the "day"

Really I'm amazed by the hard work, but at the same time the community manager is too busy writing content to actually manage the community.

Everyone in the team is so busy and the employees are cycling so "it doesn't cost too much" to make the game.

But when an employee knows he's just a hired head, will he put all his passion into it ?

hmm...

10. Stranger

Stranger Avatar

Back on topic Ladies and Gentlemen. Lets not make this thread extra messy.

If you want to back and forth argue then get in a chat channel.

Logain, Tyde, Violation and 6 others like this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Hello mr Alter Ego... this is on topic, wanna know why ?

Cause its an issue with changing the whole game experience and make people feel like they've got no influence at all on game design decisions.

I have many, many questions that I'm skipping for clarity's sake but thats at the heart of the issue.

Themo is BEGGING, for Chris's sake... whats wrong with this world mr Anonymous.

12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

That is Cunning Stranger, he is not anonymous and he is probably the player closest to reaching the same levels i do.

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Bet he thinks he's very cunning stirring the PoT like this :)

Ice Queen and Stranger like this.
  14. Coolwaters

Coolwaters Avatar

Ya ... I'd love the thing you complain of.

That you think this:

"I had to choose, warrior or mage, blacksmith or carpenter, tamer or fisherman, etc"

is a bad thing blows my mind.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Aww alright I take it back... I don't really think Chris is trying to defend his reputation... deep down I really hope his strong figure remains at the core of this development. But I can't mute the doubts I have about his desire to remain in this development for years to come.

What if we push him too far and he just leaves to develop an easier game...

no hard feelings... Thanks mr. Stranger for putting the love back into my heart.

16. Coolwaters

Coolwaters Avatar

I'm done with SOTA for now. I'll be back when and if there is some semblance of logic and a lot less self-interest directing the ship.

The inmates are in charge of the asylum.

No skill cap and no meaningful decay seem to be what folks want, and I think that's sad and kind of disturbing.

Back to pre-alpha testing Crowfall.

17. Coolwaters

Coolwaters Avatar

&^%^$&^$ Yes.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  18. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I understand what your saying. You want to have separate pvp from pve. The thing is this is something that cannot happen here. It is the same as the pvp people wanting their own server. It wont work. We are all in this together, so we must find a way to balance together.

19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I am for a skill cap, I will fight for it even if you are not here friend.

20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Everyone including me that played UO would be for a skill cap... however few remain after they refused to give us cannibalism and anti-virtues...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.