Non partied kills

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jace3, Dec 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

Every once in a while I come across a player fighting mobs. Sometimes they are higher than me and other times not. I always wonder if I should jump in or not to help them out. I wouldn't want to take away anyone's experience points or loot. So how does it go? Would we be welcomed jumping in to help or would we be looked at as interfering? I want to make friends not enemies.

Ice Queen and Kvow Triumvir like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

you can always throw them a party invite.

3. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

It's hard to even heal others not in your party right now. Exp splitting only works in parties.

If I see a stranger losing a fight I'll help but otherwise the game is not designed well currently for friendly stranger interactions.

4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Please explain how this game is NOT friendly for stranger interactions, for the scenario mentioned NO of course not, what should a player do Stop stand there get eaten while you try and find out who they are? When players are in a fight I am almost positive that they do NOT care who is talking to them. Like stated if they look like they are losing I am sure they wouldn't mind a helping hand, if they are just cruising thru the battle of course they don't need / want you help - but I FAIL to see how this is a bad mechanic for stranger interactions. You can interact with ANYONE anywhere it IS however courteous to see the fight for a second or two and if someone looks like they are about to get mangled I am sure NO on would complain about a little help. If they cruise thru the battle and are there for a sec or two then some interaction might be warranted, if they jut run off they obviously do not want to talk.

5. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Seriously, chill out.

6. RevJerk

RevJerk Avatar

I'm a healer... and I can't heal someone I run into if they are dying.... that makes Tunare sad :(

7. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

With the current XP system where XP goes to the final blow (both non party in this example), it is a very good question. If XP went to % of the kill, it would be an easier choice.
    Since dying just means going to an ankh, it is harder to tell if someone wants help since they could be letting their hits drop before healing and then finishing the mob.
    And no one can stop to give consent (typing) while fighting.

Elwyn, 4EverLost and Kvow Triumvir like this.
  8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Being this is a consensual game I think healing should be just like attacking some one. It is consensual and you need to ask my consent if you want to heal me.

4EverLost and Kvow Triumvir like this.
  9. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

While I'm aware that you are a unique underground flower, many a new Avatar must question, "why can I not heal that poor sod being eaten by a lich?"

10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    indeed consent is a double edged sword, maybe I would allow them to heal me with death magic!! maybe! :)

11. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Personally, if I was fighting a serious mob and someone came to help, I would be grateful. I did this once - happened on someone who was battling a troll; between the two of us we brought him down. And he was also grateful.
    I like @Weins201 philosophy - if they're winning, leave well enough alone. If they're losing, then by all means help - and check afterwards to make sure they were happy:) Because in the middle of a battle there's usually no time to talk...

KuBaTRiZeS and Acred like this.
  12. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

I agree in theory, but being the judge of winning vs. losing with no communication help is difficult.
    'You took that troll down 95%, but I thought you might lose so I helped with the last 5%. Want to share the loot? Too bad I can't share the XP.'
    'I was just about to cast the sunbeam quadruple combo and you stole my kill!'
    'Sorry, could not tell, I thought you looked like you were losing'

Just a generic scenario, but it will happen. If player A got 95% of the XP, then it would be no problem. (Not a fan of XP, but in the current system this is what I suggest).

Ravicus Domdred and Elwyn like this.
  13. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

This is my view on it, especially if they're in noob scenes. The game doesn't allow you to throw unsolicited heals (which I am used to doing in other games) but it does allow you to unsolicited help them kill stuff (which I am used to not being able to do in other games).

About the only thing that I have a problem with is that there aren't really good ways to pull aggro off of other players, so that you can tank it a bit while they recover. As things are now, unless they've changed a lot, a monster will happily keep chewing on the first guy it saw while someone else is bashing its head in.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  14. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

By the time you get back from an ankh, the monster has usually speed healed back to full while not being attacked. The main exception is when you are fighting by an ankh.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  15. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I used to like being able to heal non-party members because you could help without the danger of "stealing" exp. Now I watch battles for a few minutes, and if the avatar seems in control of the situation, I move on. If not I will help, but I try to restrict the help to rooting one or more mobs so as not to get the exp for them. No one has complained yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.