Random Encounter: The Tavern

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Womby, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Womby

Womby Avatar

You are making your way across the overland map when suddenly - oh no! - random encounter *sigh*. You prepare yourself mentally for wolves, skellies, broken down wagon or whatever, but on emerging into the new scene you see something entirely different.

You find yourself standing outside a tavern. It seems normal enough, although the skull and crossbones that someone recently applied in fresh blood to the faded sign seems a little unusual. You step inside.

There you find a mixture of NPCs and other players who have been drawn to the same instance via random encounters throughout Novia. People are drinking, conversing, ignoring a body on the floor and generally having a good time. One of the NPCs is boasting that he is the greatest, and challenges anyone to take him on. Behind the bar are some shelves on which a number of body parts have been neatly arranged.

Suddenly the room darkens and takes on an eerie red hue. The proprietor laughs maniacally, shouting "Fight or flee gentlemen, fight or flee!"

A pop up window appears in front of the player, giving him 15 seconds to leave the tavern before it becomes a PVP zone. Some stand and draw their weapons, while others race for the exit.

The timer reaches zero, and a mighty free for all breaks out.

2. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I love the idea but fear exploitation. Why would anyone stay? If no one stays but one person what fun is there in winning if everyone runs. If you create a reward what is to prevent a PVP group or person from always focusing on these random encounters and figuring out the methodology to create new ones repeatedly to exploit the reward?

Really a shame, the idea is incredible, but would be abused and exploited by the community.

Womby likes this.
  3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

This is why we can't have nice things :(

But I love the idea!

4. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

Hey Womby, that is an awesome idea! :)

and Greyfox --exploits? so negative! ;p
    Hey, news! peeps are going to exploit. does that mean i sit in my chair and do nothing at all in case it gets exploited? NOOOOO!!!
    this sounds like it could be a lot of fun, and i refuse to let the thought of nasty exploiters stop me from having fun!
    LOL

I say go for it! maybe special rules can apply since its a seperate kind of encounter?

Acred, Womby, Doctor and 1 other person like this.
  5. Murphy

Murphy Avatar

I love this. Once a day random next 10-15 people that hit random encounter go here instead. But instead of fight or flee its fight or bet. All participants free for all last man standing gets loot rights to all. Standard loot rules.
    everyone that bets gets to stay and watch.
    no bet you leave.

Acred, Sophi and Womby like this.
  6. Manuel Marino

Manuel Marino Avatar

hey, you got the idea from a movie!!! :D

7. Doctor

Doctor Avatar

Just adding ideas to this.

But instead of running there is another option. "Fight or bet" You can use the NPC to play bets on contestants who are taking part. 5 PvP'ers are in a royal rumble. Only one can remain. Winner takes all and those who accepted the challenge must accept their loses. But they'll always have a chance to win at a later point.

Those who decline, instead of running out of the instance, can just be a bystander and watch the fight or bet in the fight. This way there are more interactions and less boredom.

Roleplayers such as myself would love scenarios like this as I do not PvP, I can still be a local drunk informer giving visitors advice on whether the person they are challenging is tough or not and give them tips on tackling them or avoiding a fight. Hey, if I'm drunk enough, I might stupidly end up in a fight and if that means I end up losing an item or gold... so be it? Because if that happened in real life, that would most likely happen. *he chuckles*

Win or lose... who cares! This sounds awesome.

8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Interesting idea as a random PVP zone generator!

Acred, Sophi and Womby like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.