Where Will You Not PvP?

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Myth2, Sep 3, 2013.

?

Where Will You Not PvP?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2013.
  1. I will primarily stay in the non-PvP end of the slider.

26.0%
  2. I will primarily stay in the open-PvP end of the slider.

26.0%
  3. I haven't committed myself to either end of the slider.

30.0%
  4. I'm a PvPer

18.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterThief

MasterThief Avatar

I won't PvP in my home. Anywhere else you better check your pockets, unless your on my good list.

God likes this.
  2. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

yeah... if your going to run around PKing... then the equivilent to that in the middle ages would be a murderer. If you want to be a PKer in an Role Play game like SotA... then prepare to play that role.

I have nothing against people that want to be a PK'er... I do have something against them just being a griefer. Unforutnatly, most people that like to PK, aren't role playing at all. They are just there to know they are causing grief for someone. This would filter out the role players, and get rid of the griefers. It would position the game as a TRUE RPG. Not a B.S. WoW version where kids these days dont know what RP really is.

Game like WoW really just feed nerotic kids. No focus. No imagination. Just do what ever tickles your fancy in that moment. If your helping a starving family in one quest, then while completeing the quest decide you want to kill a starving player... meh, just do it... hate that. In part the class system of modern games is to blame. "I'm RP'ing a Warrior" ...no, when you RP, your RPing a character, not a class of fighter. A character with a history. Before the adventure finds your character he was something.... a farmer, a scholar, a merchant. He has a history and gains skills as he goes about his journey and becomes a class all his own.

So upset and disapointed with modern RPGs. So happy RG got his team back and they are getting it back together. Maybe it will teach kids what it REALLY means to RP.

3. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

A lot of your points resonate with me Tim. The idea that I can go save the NPC Shopkeeper's daughter from a dragon and then murder someone outside the shop for no reason and suffer no consequences impacts the immersion for everyone involved, especially the victim, whose quest choices suddenly will feel much less important. The only thing I don't agree with is forced RP. To me, forcing RP is no different than forcing PvP. They are both niche activities that bring with them severe limitations (IE not speaking out of character, getting ganked), and to force players into either of them is to condemn a potential part of the playerbase.

Sir_Tim, BillRoy and Archaaz like this.
  4. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I took this to be a kind of a speculative question, I think as far as most people are concerned most things are mostly speculative still. It's good to get a feeling for what people like and want though. And I think it helps you "feel out" the community to see who you might have more and less in common with. I'm gonna make a thread to see how people feel about a Perma-Death option soon. :rolleyes:

If you want somone to test the PvP waters with look me up, if worst comes to worst atleast we won't die alone. And maybe you can get a story to exaggerate into an epic tale in the process.;)

5. Owain

Owain Avatar

I'm not sure what is the purpose of this poll. If you don't flag for PvP, you will not PvP pretty much in the entire area of the game. There has been talk of PvP areas, but I don't see the need for specific PvP regions. If you flag for PvP, the entire world is a PvP region. If you don't flag for PvP, you could traverse the entire world and never take part in it.

The best innovation of SotA, I think, is the player matching mechanism. The devs should concentrate on that, and leave the idea of PvP areas behind.

SmokerKGB and skinned like this.
  6. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

The purpose of this poll is to determine whether or not any non-PvPers will flag for PvP.

7. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

I dont want them to be forced to RP a murderer... But if they are going to go around murdering, the game should RP back at them to help their immersion experience. It should set a bounty on them, highly deadly rangers start hunting them in forests, if they go into a town they are attacked by the guards.

I too am not in favor of the whole "Thou must speaketh like this." But there is a point that you are in the RPG to play a role. So I think there should be a mechanism for the PK’ers, unlike most other games ‘these days’.(old man talk) :)

Goblin King likes this.
  8. Seneschal

Seneschal Avatar

You've got "I haven't commited to either end", but you don't have "I have commited to the middle".

I want to be set to always be open to PvP with friends/guildmates/people I'm guild-warred to, and never to PvP with people outside that list. I would think a lot of people would want things this way, be it for RP-PvP, guild/faction wars without outside interference, having "open" PvP without griefers (by being in huge guilds), etc.

Baene Thorrstad and Mordecai like this.
  9. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

You've got a great point Seneschal. Unfortunately, its too late for me to go back and change the polling options. :/

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I won't PvP in the Bear Tavern! I think we should all agree on that one. Let that be an unritten rule of the Bear Tavern. Let all be merry, friend and foe a like.

11. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

My intial thoughts were to stay away from PvP. Over the last 20 years, I've played plenty of games and dropped my fair share of people. Enough. Like the old gunslinger...I wanted to hang up the guns...or in this case, the war mace. Just kick back, meet some cool people and RP my way down Avatar Boulevard. But a funny thing happened...

Just today, I found out the game plan for SotA is to only allow around 20% of the players to have a house (thanks to Mordecai for confirming that). That...didn't sit well with me. All these threads and posts on housing and really only 1 out of 5 players, by the game's design, will have one. Something has to be done about that.

I can't just stand around and let the rich get richer. This is an injustice and 80% of the player base might agree with me. What does this have to do with PvP? Plenty. What does a player get for winning an individual fight? A piece of their gear? What they are carrying? Gold? How does thievery work? Can one break into a house? Can we get into locked chests? Can we steal from vendors? Can we steal items from the house after we break in? Can we invoke attacks on the entire towns and cities? Can we get NPC races to occupy towns and cities so people can't access their precious houses? Can we reign down destruction in any other way? Someone must organize and defy this tyranny. Only 1 out of 5 of us is good enough for a house? No. That's not right. Swords, lockpicks and treachery will be the voice of the oppressed. May the streets run with blood and freedom!

So for me...PvP may be back on the table. 80% of the population will be homeless and no one cares. Are you truly a hero of the people living in your Viking homes and mini-castles while the rest of us are sleeping in the dirt? For shame. My advice? Better be sharpening your swords in your crystal palaces because a very angry mob might be right outside your door...

Arcano likes this.
  12. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I am "undecided" because I do NOT PvP, and the Devs haven't released enough info to tell me "where" I will be playing. The only info that I have ATM is there will be a "public" online area of this game, and the game will "monitor" my actions, and group me with like minded players (most likely based on my real location). So this tells me:
    Players in Japan will not be grouped with me.
    Players from Germany will not be grouped with me.
    Players from France will not be grouped with me.
    Players from Calif. USA will most likely be grouped with me (and I don't know how many there will be, it could be the entire USA).

Since there is NO shards, and the game will be monitoring my actions, I have no idea of what this means, as this is "new" to my game playing experience. I can only imagine:
    If I "pre-emptively" attack another player, the game will know.
    If I kill another player, the game will know.
    If I "defend" myself against an attacking player, the game will know.
    If I stand there and do nothing at all, the game will know.

Once the game has monitored me for a sufficient amount of game play, the game will group me with like minded players, this also tells me that:
    On the overland map, hexes marked as "PvP", I should not be allowed to enter.
    On the overland map, hexes containing Cities, Towns and Villages marked as "PvP" controlled, I should not be allowed to enter.
    On the overland map, Players will be "marked" somehow, to tell other players their "aglinment", I would think that "red, blue and white" would be effective.

I can only imagine how game play will be, but this all makes sences to me. Which means this Poll is pointless until more is known about the game. Most responders here seem to think that "Public online" means "open sandbox" for PvP style game play, I must disagree with that accesment.

13. vjek

vjek Avatar

I suspect, to start, the rules will be far simpler than that, given the nature of selective multiplayer.

As in,
    1) when flagged, you'll only see those other players that are likewise flagged, when in non-civilization (wilderness) hexes.
    2) there is no direct player conflict in civlization hexes (villages, towns, cities)

If direct player conflict has no strategic value (and there's been no indication there is any larger pvp mechanic, so that's a guess) then that's all you need. Why?

Because without a strategic reason to remove another player from your hex, in the wilderness, SotA PvP will be just as pointless as all the other games that have the same meaningless PvP.

Whether the game "knows" or not is unrelated, given the confirmed mechanic of being able to place items on the ground for other players to pick up. As long as that single mechanic is in the game, players can kill other players without any serious inconvenience.
    Two months to go! It'll be interesting to see if Portalarium gives us anything concrete to dissect/discuss/debate on this subject, before alpha.

14. Baene Thorrstad

Baene Thorrstad Avatar

Yup, same for me. This is exactly the option I would like.

15. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I put "I will primarily stay in the non-PvP end of the slider", because in open play I will do exactly that. However, as has been pointed out by others, I will consider partial or full PvP (depending on how the system ends up working) while playing in a limited-online mode (guild or friends only type of deal). Although even then, I will usually not actually partake in PvP... I tend to prefer support roles to combat roles, I'm just not good enough at combat to make it worthwhile or enjoyable.

16. Owain

Owain Avatar

I think you misunderstand how the matching system will work. It is not that you can't go into a hex flagged for PvP so much as unless they have specific PvP regions (and I see no reason whatsover to have PvP specific regions), when you go into a hex, the server spawns an instance of that hex on your machine. You host that hex. People that match your playing style may then join your instance, and you will see them. If you aren't the first one in a hex, then you may join an instance hosted on someone elses system, assuming you match their player style.

Everything is instanced, and is instanced on some individual's computer, so there is no need for the complexity you cite.

(There has been talk of headless instances, or hexes not instanced on a player's machine, but rather on a SotA machine, perhaps for special large scale events. I haven't see a lot of info on that as of yet, however).

17. G Din

G Din Avatar

I will not PvP in my kitchen.

Umbrae likes this.
  18. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

*stabs Gunga in his kitchen*

Gunga Din [Pax] likes this.
  19. G Din

G Din Avatar

"OoOoooooOOOOo"

Spirit Speak Translation = You rat bastard !!

daneelthesane and Umbrae like this.
  20. Owain

Owain Avatar

"Where will I not PvP".

What? No one has penned some faux Dr Seuss verse to answer this question yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.