Damage resistance/absorption/avoidance; Dodge; Parry;Deflection;Attack skill...

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Xail, Feb 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xail

Xail Avatar

....and for sure I'm missing some other variables...

Can we have a reference point where all of this is explained black on white...?

It would be of tremendous help...

2. Xail

Xail Avatar

I know in the middle of a video there was Chris explained something about that... but black on white...with also the new dynamics...would be very helpful...

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  3. Mysticvermin

Mysticvermin Avatar

Damage Resistance: Numerical value of max mitigated damage.
    Damage Absorption: Percent value of max mitigated damage.
    - These two stats work together, or rather seem to work against each other, as the system uses the lesser of the two for any given hit.

Damage Avoidance: This causes glancing blows and from my testing appears to be a percent chance of occurrence. Having tested this in Eastreach Gap with leather armor glancing blows reduced damage to 1 or 2 for the most part, with poison damage occasionally doing more. I've been unable to determine if glancing blows are a base amount or percentage mitigated.
    Deflection: Percent value buff to Damage Absorption.
    Dodge: Percent chance to avoid all damage
    Parry: Percent chance of occurance. Once again testing in Eastreach Gap. This was while dual wielding a longsword & dagger with 54 strength. I suspect this to be a numerical value as each successful parry mitigated all incoming damage.

I don't know what you're looking for regarding Attack values, but I can tell you that there is no penalty to hit within 20 adventure levels and that the chance to miss is effected by ((Defender's Dex/2)-(Attacker's Dex/4))

4. Noric

Noric Avatar

Parry - does that show up at "BLOCKED" or is that a different mechanic?

and thank you for all of the information!

5. Mysticvermin

Mysticvermin Avatar

Here is actual combat text:
    [2/26/2016 7:13:23 AM] Corpion tried to attack Dashiro Cortez but Dashiro Cortez parries.
    Props again to @agra for sharing the secret of finding the logs.

I only tested out shields for a brief amount of time and was unable to find any specific text regarding the effects of the Deflect ability. In fairness it took me a bit to discover the parries as I was searching for the key word 'parry.' Also, who would've thought that Avoidance would cause 'glancing blows'? Blocks might be showing as something as equally unthought of.

Your welcome. I really enjoy checking out game mechanics and how things work together. There's so much to know in this game and information can be hard to come by. The better informed we all are the better we will be able to help balance combat. If the whole combat system was laid bare for all to see my head might just explode like those commercials. Mind=blown.

Jivalax Azon and agra like this.
  6. Noric

Noric Avatar

I will see if i can figure out what the log uses for blocks.

7. Xail

Xail Avatar

does attack skill weight on the hit chance? or the damage? or both? should I account for the defender too? does a mage with astaff with no bludgeon incur in any downside?

Sara Dreygon and Moonshadow like this.
  8. Noric

Noric Avatar

The weapon proficiency and weapon ability skills both impact the accuracy and damage of weapon ability skills. I'm not sure what impacts skills like bodyslam which doesn't have a proficiency or an associated.

I don't think defender proficiency is factored in but defensive abilities and dex should be .

9. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

How exactly does damage avoidance work?

Does it work apart from damage resistance?

10. Mysticvermin

Mysticvermin Avatar

Avoidance would be it's own check, but may work in conjunction with Resist/Absorb on either side of the equation, or it could be that if you mitigate with Avoidance that no other checks are performed. We would really need to know exactly how defensive stats progress through the damage applied/defense calculation.

11. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

So if I have a really high avoidance, what is it doing?

12. Mysticvermin

Mysticvermin Avatar

From my logs Avoidance appears to happen more often the higher the stat is, so it should be a percent chance of occurrence. I think of Glancing Blows as being very similar to Dodges except that a small portion of damage is still inflicted.

13. Xail

Xail Avatar

Does damage avoidance works also versus magic attacks?

14. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Please elaborate on "the secret of finding the logs". :D

15. agra

agra Avatar

Chat logs are automatically captured and stored in files (on Windows machines) at
    C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\ChatLogs
    which you can parse, in a limited fashion, to determine things like auto attack accuracy, standard deviation, normal distribution, and various other stats.
    To be clear, the log does not contain everything regarding combat. Not even close.
    It doesn't contain misses for skills, for example. It doesn't contain AE DoT damage. It doesn't contain sub-second accuracy, despite there being many skills that use sub/partial second effect durations. It doesn't record crowd-control effects either on you or on your target, nor their durations.
    However, it's better than nothing, for the moment.

16. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Excellent find! Thanks agra.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.