Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Macroing

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agra

agra Avatar

Totally Agree, Chris. Thanks for the post.

cartodude, Bambino and Ice Queen like this.
  2. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I think we should be careful here. It looks like you are building a grindfest extrodinare. Advancement is not a crime. It is necessary for enjoyment and necessary for advancement through higher and higher levels of the game. If everyone is left to the basic low level areas trying to get 10,000 kills for every combat skill they need to fill up their deck, then the game is over IMO. Personally I think 2X experience would be about right. Worrying about how someone spends their experience (legally gained) and trying to appease the wrong group has game killing risk. I do not like to see excessive macroing either, but the Chris post is very scary and for the first time I am feeling I may have made a huge mistake here.

3. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Don't read into what I said please, I did not say macro-ers are anything... I will answer with what Chris said...

Macroing something like mouse skills? Who knows, doesn't affect your character stats/gold so doesn't seem a problem.

What would be best for us who want to play the game as you say is to still have some way to know who is using macros. That way the players who play the game as intended can adjust their behavior or not as they wish. Last thing I would want to do is buy some macro'd good. I'm with you. I want to support the players who play the game, not game the system. So give me a tool to do so.

helm likes this.
  4. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

All exploits and issues are so big in SPO man !!!

Log In / Log Out Log In / Log Out Log In / Log Out Log In / Log Out Log In / Log Out Log In / Log Out Log In / Log Out Log In / Log Out Log In / Log Out Log In / Log Out Log In / Log Out Log In / Log Out Log In / Log Out Log In / Log Out Log In / Log Out Log In / Log Out Log In / Log Out Log In / Log Out Log In /

Easy Macro

5. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Btw, the tl;dr version of my post is that The numbers are such in the current game that it encourages people to play the games system instead of the game. I'll be increasing how many exps get applied per skill use to make this much less necessary.

6. Womby

Womby Avatar

Yay! My nearly 3 million adventuring XP will finally be spent, and I won't have to visit Digit in Ardoris!

Lord Baldrith and Chris like this.
  7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Thank you for reaching out in this thread and setting a course for improvement. :)

Mordakai likes this.
  8. Mysticvermin

Mysticvermin Avatar

To clarify, my interpretation of your usage of the term 'macros' is people using scripts, or basically bots. Chris' detail of changes to skill XP will preclude the massive banking of XP that leads to skill spamming. My understanding of the coming changes to the crafting system are that you will be able to queue up actions in the crafting table interface. This should alleviate the need for the regular player base to use macros for crafting. As far as scipters go, flagging them is pointless. The best security system is one that no one on the outside can see working or see the effects of. If they have been identified as running scripts the consequence will most likely be banning and you won't see them in game.

Womby likes this.
  9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Less Necessary does not mean will not get abused more. It just means that the players who want to play the game can but those who want to Game the play have it even easier.

I am sorry but again the solution making some skills that are essentially harder to train gain more exp. each use just makes it even easier for those who abuse a broken system.

Again the SIMPLE solution is cut of skills gains on inanimate objects after certain levels. If it really is not that big a deal why not try it?

I bet my simple solution prevents macroing much more efficiently, since no matter what you do with exp or training at some point using Gust Balls, No Valid Targets, . . . . don't work anymore. Easy Peasy.

Fister Magee and Vyrin like this.
  10. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Yes. We can call it "automated instruction set" to include everything, which is really not the point. The point is the result of the changes will still offer opportunities for such. The outcome of the changes needs to be tested and proven before anyone can say it won't be an issue.

I'm with Weins, I do not see what the point is in having skill gains on inanimate objects after an initial training period.

11. helm

helm Avatar

Easier, yes, but...what would be the point of doing it if it isn't actually necessary? ;)

12. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Vyrin, you realize Chris mentioned without the Gustball this would still occur. A Gustball is not the root cause nor will the removal or revision impact the issue.

Lord Baldrith and Fister Magee like this.
  13. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

Agreed, this isn't a big issue, I earned my XP let me burn it however I see fit.

My only fear is that the game continues to get altered to fit the vocal minority, and some of these people admit publicly they cant be bothered to grind or level their characters.

14. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

@Greyfox : Just to clarify, I dislike the cheating mentality that seems to be embraced closely by younger players, but I was trying to get a point across. My recent involvement with another game in early access has almost eliminated all faith in these types of issues being completely addressed.

I agree! As of yet, I have not seen any sophisticated macros, but I also haven't been able to play as much lately. Obviously many SotA players were once UO players. These players were tortured by bots before, they see something that resembles a bot in SotA then those feelings re-surge all over again.

Moonshadow likes this.
  15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Below is why it IS necessary, and since they have not proven at all how to prevent this . . . . . .
    That above is the EXACT reason why it is necessary, player are going to gather exp in the easiest / fastest way possible and then just train mindlessly on gust balls (or the like).

If you are PLAYING while you are grinding then you are NOT on a gust ball, I have no concerns over ANYONE who is playing the game. My concern is ONLY for Gust Balls (and the like) training. It is simple, the solution to "balance" training by making harder skills "easier" just supports this methodology even more.

Again I have given a very simple , VERY viable solution. For training on Gust Balls (and the like) stop allowing gains at level 20. If it is not a big deal then this should not affect anyone, so why not implement it and see how many complain. Every complaint is validation that the solution works.

16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Come on, a simple key stroke that can be generated by any multitude of tools (keyboards, mice, notromos,...) can easily do this and can hit # 1 - 10 once or any combination over and OVER and that is macro training. If the target dies, or can fight back it wont work, but with a Gust Ball, Dummie, or non viable target (a wolf shot from a rock), SIMPLE macros are pathetically easy. This whole thing s not about BOTs or the 3rd world hire who is paid to click buttons for hours. This is about the guy who sits here watching NASCAR and their Avatar stands there casting any number of skills / spells without any interaction. (not unattended, BUT) As Chris says Play the game not Game the System, and they are setting this game up to be Gamed in the easiest sense.

17. helm

helm Avatar

As I said in that other thread, such a limit would mean that one could train about 0.3% of total level 80 requirements using inanimate training objects, or 15% of even "basic proficiency" (level 40) totals. Consequently, having them implemented at all would be totally pointless.

18. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

The greatest threats to macro related leveling are Single Player and Friends Online modes. The Gust Ball is nothing but a distraction.

Removal of those two modes of play would do more to prevent macro activity than anything else. Because the greatest threat to unattended play progression is another gamer monitoring for such activities. Automated logging and analysis can assist.

So anyone gaining GM in Single Player or Friend Online mode should get a different title?

Moonshadow and Fister Magee like this.
  19. smack

smack Avatar

Sure, while we're at it, let's have different characters per mode that can't cross between them, much like offline vs. online.

20. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I think this topic has run its course. Just two things I want to point out.

Hence macro's are a form of cheating.

And reporting people doing this AFK is good (after the final wipe) because it raises the issue over and over again until its gets fixed. Nobody is going to get a free pass from me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.