Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Bleeding experience

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by Barugon, Mar 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

After updating to 388 last night, I fought red spiders for about a half hour. I burned through more than half of my experience pool (down to ~140000 from more than 320000) and that's with the 4x boost! I don't know if the increased allocation to skills is intended or not. I sure hope that there's an equilibrium so that I can maintain a death buffer, especially when the 4x boost goes away.

2. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

the x4 xp gain and x4 xp spent will go away back to 1:1 if im correct.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

It's an interesting way of tackling whether we should have 4x bonus by next wipe or not.

4. agra

agra Avatar

This was changed to prevent gustball exploits and gaining millions of XP trivially, apparently.
    Sounds like there may have been some unintended negative side effects, eh? ;)

The short version is: only have one innate turned on at a time. If you adventure with that, you'll probably find things less... awful.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Well, I know the amount that goes toward skills is directly related to the size of the pool. I'm hoping that I'll be able to maintain at least enough in the pool to cover a three day decay if I die. BTW, my character is level 64 and I only have one GM skill.

Moonshadow and Fister Magee like this.
  6. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Now i understand whats happened, i fought yesterday some low Skeletons in Ruined keep and my exp pool burned dramatically. I thought i were to high for them and i had a negative balance beetween skill consumption and earned ep. Was thinking i need to slay higher lvl mobs and thought about to find quests in order to refill my exp pool.

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Large red spiders are pretty high level mobs.

8. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

This was actually supposed to already be in, since we were given the 4x xp gain. The ability to acquire a large pool was never inteneded. The gustball argument only really brought the spotlight to the issue that we were gaining faster then using. This is a good way to know what you are in for when the 4x goes away. Im sure they will tweak it some between now and then, but the real problem (as some see it) is the system itself. You have to learn how to level your skills up with it. When Chris said sometime back that if you just turned on skills and went to town you would find yourself out of exp and wonder why.

Anyone can look me up in game and I will gladly either of the following
    Take you out hunting to help you build up some xp.
    Show you some tips on managing your xp pool.
    Or just shoot the *&** while we beat up on trolls..

Fister Magee and Moonshadow like this.
  9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

That is only true for a skill that is at least in the high eighty's. It is not true for any that are less than that.
    Once a skill does get to at least the high eighty's, then it takes a percentage of the pool and applies it as a gain for each time you use it. Before that, the size of your pool means nothing. It simply must have enough in it for whatever is drawing from it.

10. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Source please?

11. Noric

Noric Avatar

I still find this to be false. I think the numbers happened to coalescence around there traditionally but that it was not a hard coded mechanic. If you looked at the crafting skills after the accelerated spending change(R26 not this), it definitely didn't occur at 80.

12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

To my knowledge, Chris (or any dev) has never specifically said that this is how it works.
    However, I have been tracking skill gains for over a year and a half.
    I have extensive spreadsheets, thousands of screenshots, etc....
    Just so you know that I'm not entirely new to the subject of skill training, I'll add the pic below:

[​IMG]

I don't expect you to take my word for it - so track them for yourself.
    Tracking how skills gain is trivial, and I'm surprised that you've not done it.
    If necessary, I'll make a special movie on the subject.

But first, you should just try it yourself...........

Fister Magee likes this.
  13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I am referring only to Adventuring xp's, not Crafting....

14. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I just think the 80's as you found seems a bit high.. I'm sure I've seen this effect in action with lower level skills. For example, normal training with 4x bonus (let's pretend before this patch hit us, and let's pretend we have 4x bonus) was visibly taking a lot more than when I had lost the bonus, and this was on skills that were under 80 for sure.. This is hard to substantiate, as we are no longer in a normal xp environment with this patch.. plus I have not tracked my xp numbers exactly, so there is that too.

15. Mysticvermin

Mysticvermin Avatar

Just before the 25 minute mark Chris starts the explanation of XP to skill spending. According to his explanation I understand pooled XP and skill level effect the min/max amounts of XP that can be applied by any skill usage. Similar to the Resist/Absorption interplay, the lowest value is applied. Both parts of the equation are just now 4x greater.

16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Um you do know that every skill has a set number of points that it takes to go from one level to the next and that number get larger for each level.

AND

Each use of that skill uses a set number of exp points for every level below 80 (or the point at which it starts using a % of your pool) and it is still a fixed number to go from one level to the next the difference is with a larger pool it takes less "uses" to go from one level to another.

There is no variable other than the size of the pool.

The number of points needed is SET, and the number of points for each use below 80 is also SET.

No Min / Max or lowest value at all.

And this has been PROVEN over and over on many skills at many levels by more than a few of us in our guild who test this stuff out.

Adam Crow, Fister Magee and FrostII like this.
  17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yup, what he said ^^^^^^.

Adam Crow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.