My thoughts after a week playing.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kiasta, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Like the book says, that was in a time before ~Time~ o_O which means the Bold Stranger definably wasn't me :D
    Your name sounds like you came from there anyway :confused:
    So I'll take your word on it Ahuaeynjgkxs ;)!
    ~Time Lord~:p

Krohon and Tahru like this.
  2. chifanpoe

chifanpoe Avatar

I agree, my install drive for SoTA is on 2 SSD drives in a RAID 0 Stripe. No issues with loading.

Sara Dreygon and Time Lord like this.
  3. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Load times are on your end. I have a Samsung SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 that runs at 32gb/sec and reads 110K iops. I count my load time between maps at less then 5 seconds.

Sara Dreygon and Time Lord like this.
  4. Kiasta

Kiasta Avatar

Sorry guys I've been away on business and have yet to read this thread. Let me read all these posts and reply. But before I do that I just want to mention that I did a bit more research and realized that the game was meant to be a first player with a multiplayer aspect which I was unaware of probably due to my excitement of playing, I didn't quite catch that. I did see the single player option but I just assumed that was there for pre-alpha and never touched it. So maybe I was off on a few points.

I agree that it is not an Ultima 2 successor, there were some videos I've been watching on youtube right before I purchased the game that was claiming it was UO2 so I guess that just got in my head. I will of course give the game its fair chance after the final wipe. The whole aspect of pvp in ultima was why I played so I have to disagree with you. When you join a guild and have guild wars that was the best thing in my opinion. I know it wasn't for everyone and they eventually did create a facet for non-pvp players. For mining/gathering/whatever, etc.

Well I think you missed my point, the point wasn't loot scaling for the sake of getting better loot per say. But to prevent higher level players from farming low level mobs for items and gold, which will annoy new players and actually slow their progress substantially. And I'm not saying that won't happen anyways but if I can get better loot/gold per kill per second at a higher level area than why would I waste my time in a low level area. That's all I'm saying. As it is now (or at least as it was when I first posted) you can farm low level mobs and get the same amounts of gold and items as high level mobs but at a much faster kill rate.

I agree with you, I know I came in with the mindset it's going to be UO2 and that was my mistake (though youtube videos don't help when they have UO2 in their title in parenthesis) and I will most likely enjoy this game loads. Also got a new SSD so maybe the loading won't be as intolerable :)

I understand that, and to be honest a lot of the subscription-less models out there use instancing which can make it feel rather empty. Like Guild Wars 1. I'll just have to wait for launch to really see how the game will be and I'm still excited even after all my rants, I do enjoy the game and mostly enjoy playing with everyone :)

Very good points and some outlooks that I have not considered, thank you. I know it's not UO2, though I admit that I was a little closed-minded. And yes I am not aware of the end-game skill leveling, I think I only reached level 46 before I stopped playing in waiting for release. And yeah Deck Building is not my favourite thing to do, I've not yet had the need to do so. Yes there are different varieties of liches, that lich comment is going to bite me in the ass.

Hah yeah actually I did purchase an SSD shortly after making this post.

I suppose.

You're right, I was looking at this game as an Ultima successor. I am going to give the game a fair chance as a new concept apart from UO.

Understandable, and I agree I'll just have to give it a fair chance, my expectations were UO2, though that was in part to the few youtube videos I've seen with UO2 in the title. I guess that subconsciously implanted the assumption into my mind.

Well I understand what a world map is, I just don't like it and probably won't. As for how I came to the conclusion of the game being an open world, well I just assumed that a recent title sandbox game would have an open world, unless also my idea that this game is supposed to be a sandbox is mistaken? My complaint was that it did not have one. It's something I'll have to get used to (maybe?) but I really do not enjoy the world map as it is. About PvP I was just referring to the fact I have not encountered it. But thanks for the example and that's pretty cool.

Well to be fair the lich you summon in this game looks an awful lot like a skeleton knight. That image does look like it could be a lich, not saying liches can't wear armor I was merely suggesting how they could make it appear more lich-like instead of a skeleton with some armor and an axe.

Well that would be interesting.
    Hah well yeah I suppose but it was fun years ago.

There is already a recall system and you can basically recall to anyone already... just place the same restrictions, but I see your point. Also in an open world you would first need to explore said area to mark it to begin with, so it wouldn't technically make it useless. Even in UO there were restrictions on where you could or couldn't mark.

I meant the fact that there are so many load screens to begin with, I understand they why of it, I just hate loading screens. With a fiery passion. I just purchased an SSD so I suppose we will have to see.

And to all the people who welcomed me thank you! I know that I have probably rubbed some people the wrong way but those are just my opinions. I still enjoy the game and still intend on playing it.

Sara Dreygon, Mata and Time Lord like this.
  5. Lord Blackthorne

Lord Blackthorne Avatar

So excited for roaming mobs and random encounters. I admit I was really pleased when I was traveling and got pulled into a scene with wild horses. Really cool.

Not a big fan of the lady covering her chest as a loading screen, though. Not necessary, IMO.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Welcome Kiasta!

Good points and you'll be amazed at how much the game changes from month to month. I can barely wait to see what the game will be like in a year, two, three! I don't know that other games can evolve as much as SoTA can.

Mata, Time Lord and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  7. Kiasta

Kiasta Avatar

That's pretty cool I'll have to check out the World Map again, once I get a chance.

Thanks! And you're right. I just installed the game again today and I can tell there's already a few differences. I see there were a few changes made to combat. And the Skill tree for one.

Mata and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.