Game Needs to Come First

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quindorrian, Mar 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quindorrian

Quindorrian Avatar

I really want to be the type of player that hangs out on the website, gets involved in the community, and just has a jolly ole time like some of you. But, in my old age, I've come to realize that I just don't have this sort of time and patience. For me, the game comes first then the community and not the other way around. What I mean is that I need a great game as a foundation before I'll get involved in a community. Right now, it feels that the game is endlessly being developed and is in a perpetual pre-Alpha state. The performance is still horrible on Mac OS X. This game was supposed to be released a year ago and here we are still in "pre-Alpha". New releases are fine, but can you please finish the actual game? It is getting very, very frustrating.

2. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Tell us what you REALLY think!

The game technically has been 'released' in a playable form since 2014. Final wipe scheduled for July. Every game runs poorly in OS X, upgrade to a Windows 10.

Without a community there would be no game, this is a community funded game.

I'm old too, now get off my forums you young whipper snapper!

3. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

/looks though his chest for the magic "finish game" wand... why cant I find it... I know it was around here somewhere?

4. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

See, I knew Leostorm was the reason I can't play single player offline! And you all said it was the PRTs!

Leelu, Leostorm and Alley Oop like this.
  5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I favor "perpetual pre-Alpha" over the fate of Everquest Next. Also disagree with community premise. While there are plenty of times it could be argued either way, sometimes it is having a community that pushes the game through the trials.

6. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

O that's right I lent it out to EQN, but I think someone casted juxtapose on them before they used it....

edit: dang you @Tahru crushing my joke...

Sophi, Miracle Dragon, Krohon and 2 others like this.
  7. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

I have a MacBook Pro and I got tired of the substandard performance. To get ready for VR I built a PC and the game runs beautifully when run from an SSD. Like Palmer Lucky said, the Oculus can't run satisfactorily on a Mac because they use the integrated Intel graphics from Intel. No upgrades without some real effort.

I love my Apple products but it's up to them to build a machine that does gaming well. The people will buy it.

8. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

They apparently have external gpu's for mac you can use :)

Leelu likes this.
  9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Or AMD Gpus on the higher priced computers

Krohon and Leelu like this.
  10. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I understand your frustration. They are moving toward the Final Wipe in July that will make the world permanent, and are adding optimization in the upcoming releases. It has been some time, but there does seem to be some good movement towards getting to actually play the game with our permanent characters soon :D

11. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

1: Its not the devs its Us and funders that asked for This and That and the devs agreed due to increase funding and community backing..
    2: Most good games can take upto 5-6 years or more to develope.
    3: A final wipe has been announced for July so this will mean you will be able keep all your efforts :)
    4: This is not your typical development scheme, this game will be ongoing just like "Star Citizen" so there will not be a " Conventional" release like passed games, this is crowd funded so we are in new founded waters and we are making the waves as we go..
    5: Also every month after the final wipe the devs will be adding stuff.

12. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

It's a kickstarter game so this is technically impossible. Community made the game possible.

The best medicine is reading the daily "Standup Corner" that explains what each dev is doing. When you can see what they are grinding away on 5 to 6+ days a week you get the sense of it being a small team that is working hard.

13. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

As much as I wanted to play this on the Mac, I swapped to the PC where SOTA plays just great.

While the game does still need to be optimized (per release notes), sometimes performance is about our own choices too, alas.

14. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

My MBP has a discrete NVIDIA GPU. The issue is the OS, the drivers, and the hardware.

OP look me up in game we can putter around talking about the good old days until July.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Same here. I gave up on the Mac version two years ago and only have a windows system for playing Games. All other work is on the Mac.

Nietzsche, Rhudaur and Miracle Dragon like this.
  16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

The Mac version will catch up because the Linux version will be required for any kind of staying power because SteamOS is Linux. OSX is almost Linux. It is FreeBSD which is Linux without the crappy GPL license attached. The main problem is that Apple is very slow on adapting to anything outside their vertical market and I am sure they view Steam a major competitor so will be slow to pull in anything that benefits Valve. Remember that Apple went out of their way not to include Google applications which are clearly better than theirs.

17. deRoque

deRoque Avatar

I play the game on my Mac Pro and my MacBook Pro, and have no complaints. I certainly wouldn't call the game performance "horrible" on my computers.

By the way, the MacBookPro can be set up to only use the graphics chip and not the integrated Intel graphics.

I also have a Windows computer and use Windows 10. I use it to play games that won't run on my Mac, and am currently enjoying the Rise of the Tomb Raider. For various reasons I prefer to play games on my Macs when I can.

You know what they say...."your mileage may vary"

Regards

18. Floors

Floors Avatar

I don't really have any performance problems on a 3 year old Macbook Pro with a mobile nvidia card and 2 GB GDDR5. The game looks just like all the screenshots being posted from windows. It's fast enough.

I could run it in Windows 10 on the mac... because you can run windows 10 natively on macs via boot camp if you want, so not sure why Macs are getting drug threw the mud here lol

19. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Actually two.

But are you in a hurry? Didn't you already pay for it?

[​IMG]
    ___
    P.S. If you don't know the guy above, you are not really as old as you claim to be (or anywhere near old as the real old farts around here!).

20. helm

helm Avatar

With all due respect, there are so many factually incorrect things especially in the colored three sentences that I feel compelled to comment. The way misinformation spreads is that no one cares to comment, possibly in fear of fanning some age-old flame war that lost its relevancy many many moons ago, if it ever had any. In any case I'm trying my best to avoid things that could be regarded mostly as matters of opinion. Also some aspects of it are slightly off topic so I'm putting it all inside a spoiler.
    That SteamOS is Linux is (loosely speaking) actually more or less correct, it is just the context that is dubious, as it would imply that also SteamOS is "almost OSX".

However, OS X is "almost Linux" roughly as much as Windows 7 is "almost Linux". OS X is made of several operating system core components, one of which is Darwin, which in turn was originally derived from various sources, one of which was the xBSD codebase. While the xBSD variants (including FreeBSD) as a whole could be regarded as "open source" at least by some interpretations, Darwin cannot even boot on its own, without the use of various binary drivers which are definitely not "open source". The actual relevance of Apple "open sourcing" the Darwin part(s) could be questioned, I see no good actual reason for it except as a marketing gimmick.

FreeBSD, in turn, is a complete operating system on its own, whereas Linux is an operating system kernel. This is a very important distinction - it would be much less confusing to talk about Linux-based systems, as the loose phrasing is a source of endless confusion. Tthe other system components can vary quite considerably depending on the use. As a few examples,

• Android, Tizen and Sailfish OS are Linux based systems for mobile devices (like smartphones, tablets, and cars)
    • GNU/Linux family of operating systems are Linux based systems mainly for desktop devices like laptops, desktops and servers, although the distinctions have (especially recently) become rather blurry. They are typically marketed as distributions like Debian (and its derivatives like Ubuntu, Elementary OS and SteamOS) and Fedora (derivatives like Red Hat Enterprise LInux and Scientific Linux). Distributions are often targeted for specific use (like SteamOS for gaming and entertainment, OpenWrt for routers and similar embedded devices), or they can be general purpose.
    • Currently 98.8% of world's fastest supercomputers use some Linux variant. For example, the current #1 supercomputer listed (Nov2015 ranking) runs Kylin Linux, the #2 runs Cray Linux Environment. The actual configuration can vary quite a lot.
    Of course, FreeBSD and Linux systems do share some similarities, which are mostly related to the levels of compliance to the POSIX and (to a lesser extent) UNIX standards, both of which originated somewhere in the 80's. Their present day relevance could be regarded as "debatable" at best (elaboration - not perhaps the absolute relevance, especially concerning POSIX, but relevance in the context of "similarity").

As to whether a license like the GPL (GNU General Public License) is "crappy" or not is, of course, a matter of individual preference, opinion and/or objective. No need to venture into that, except perhaps mention that the current quite high Linux "market shares" (like the >98% of top 500 supercomputers, or >80% of new smartphones, it's actually current #1 in just about every segment except desktops and consoles) is at least partly due to this "crappy" licensing. Even on desktop the "crappy" licensing is not the culprit, but rather the scarcity of preinstalled base (something where especially friends at Redmond have, at least historically speaking, played their contractual cards very well, even considering the rather morally and perhaps even legally dubious ways of achieving their goals). That is the root cause on desktops - most of the catch-22's (availability and/or quality of drivers and apps) that stem from that.For example, in smartphone segment it exactly the other way around, with Android having near-absolute dominance and Windows products struggling in single low digits.

As to the OP's mention of game performance, if your system is in good operating condition (other games and benchmarks work exactly as expected) and satisfies the system requirements, more performance optimization passes are expected before the final wipe in July. If that is not enough, consider upgrading the GPU. With Apple including Thunderbolt connectivity to most of its newer hardware, even the laptops can get external GPUs.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.