Headed to London!

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by crossbowsoda, Mar 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

I'm going to be visiting London in a few days for a bit more than a week. I've got a couple of destinations in mind, but I'm curious as to whether any of you all have some spots that I ought to go see! I've been once before in a real touristy fashion, hitting most of the main spots (the Shard, Big Ben, so on), but I'd like to get a taste of the weirder stuff: classic occult spots, art installations/graffiti, street events, freakish museums/curios, abandoned estates, cursed or haunted places, so on. Leaving the city should be no problem. Post your oddities, please!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  2. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    Buy a nectar card at the tube station and top it up, with that you can just hop on London's tube and buses . Cheap place to eat and drink is at Weather Spoons pub. You find them all over the UK in every corner so to say. Also visit Camden Market, a bit of a hippy market .

Ice Queen, kenvic1, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  3. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Yeah, I went through Camden once or twice during my last trip. A guy tried to buy a particular illicit substance off of me! I guess I have the look. ;) Pretty cool place.

4. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

5. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

I've been looking around myself!! Hard to see through all of this smoke, though. :D

6. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

The Natural History, Victoria & Albert, Science Museum and many more are all located very close to each other and are free to get in, they are certainly worth a days visit, but maybe not as peculiar as you want. Camden market as Cassandra said is worth a visit. Seems you might not be here in time for Stonehenge's spring equinox but still worth a visit maybe. There's lots interesting sites in UK, but many are away from the smoke, a car and a month is needed to get a good feel for the country i think. Have fun!

7. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Hey, thank you! I'm hoping to get back over to Bath and Bristol... enjoyed both of those places very much, especially The Raven in Bath. Somewhere in Bath I found myself drinking a glass of highlighter-orange Scrumpy. 17 (maybe 18?) at the time, that was pretty harsh for an inexperienced palate such as mine! I think I'll try the stuff again this time. We'll see what happens lol.

My brother's mentioned those museums as well as a few others. I'd like to see the Hunterian, and the Grant as well.

8. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

oh you are going as far as Bristol and Bath , well maybe you fancy a trip across the bridge into the land of the Celtic Dragon. Wales is very beautiful especially in spring if you do go check out http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/stfagans/ it all really depends what you are interested in. what I love is the houses which they rebuild there and are as far back as the stone age It gives you a real feel of welsh live trough the ages

9. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Well, possibly! I think that I'll mostly be in London, but my brother may want to take me around again. I'll keep Wales in mind. He attended university there.

10. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

If you do make it to Wales, be sure to stop by Cardiff o_O Lots to see and really excellent food :D

11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

12. kenvic1

kenvic1 Avatar

There is a tour of the spots were jack the ripper killed his victims, mitre square is were he killed his first lady of the night, i was listening to the tour guide while i was working near the spot, very interesting.

Time Lord and Cassandra Corax like this.
  13. kenvic1

kenvic1 Avatar

Also the london dungeon is supposed to be good.

Time Lord and Cassandra Corax like this.
  14. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

indeed the darker side of London's history.Also not sure if they still do it but the only light source where candles which made the place quite eerie

Ice Queen and Time Lord like this.
  15. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

If you have already seen the main spots, St Bartholomew Church might be something worth checking out. It is one of the oldest surviving churches in London, and supposedly haunted.

16. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops: It's a scratch and sniff image ;)
    [​IMG]
    :cool: This is the place I'd most want to check out, as from here, there's no telling where it's inhabitance would lead me to :D
    The Minories is a very atmospheric venue, set beneath railway arches on the eastern edge of the
    City of London (click the postcode above for a map).
    ~Time Lord~:p

Cassandra Corax and crossbowsoda like this.
  18. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

19. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

There is a Duke that rents the houses in his estate. You can live true royalty and the rooms are not that expensive at all.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/26/luxury/vacation-like-royalty/

I am so peanut butter jelly that you are going to London. Its on my bucket list. Have fun and take some pics for us PLEASE!

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I'm guessing you've been and gone by now, but in case you're still looking, or anyone else is interested, here are some of my favourite smaller London museums:
    • The Wellcome Collection - basically the collection of an eccentric billionaire, tend to have some fairly eccentric exhibitions as a result, also handy for the British Library
    • Sir John Soane's Museum - another personal collection, this time an architect who travelled all over Europe and then brought chunks of it home with him
    • Charles Dickens Museum - a house where Dickens lived with his family for many years, furnished and decorated in period style with lots of memorabilia
    • The Foundling Museum - London's first home for abandoned children, a great receiver of donated art and location for many Handel premières
    • The Sherlock Holmes Museum - we all know he didn't really live there, but if you're even remotely a fan you can't really not check it out
    Also if you go to any of the big museums in South Kensington I recommend you get lunch in the V&A, they have a dining room with stained glass windows and art-deco tiling which is just lovely.

If you want to venture out of central London check out Highgate Cemetery where it is 100% certain at least three people you've heard of have been buried and Kenwood House which you've probably seen in a movie.

Note: Oyster Card, Nectar card is the Sainsbury's thing, also these days you can only buy them at major tube stations because Boris.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.