PVP only mode

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by reesian, Mar 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Actually I just remembered something, If I remember correctly that when your in a guild and you declare war on another guild that accepts the war that you become PVP Enabled when you encounter another member of the other guild..
    So for Users like PVP or PVE you just choose the type of Guild that best suits you preference.. If you like to PVP then just choose a guild that like to PVP and if not then choose a guild that is more passive ..

PS: Like I mentioned I am not 100% on the "become PVP Enabled when you encounter another member of the other guild" in war time, but it would sort of make sense :)

2. Womby

Womby Avatar

My understanding is that if your guild is at war with another guild, you become flagged for PVP for the duration of the war. Period. Not just against members of the other guild.

Logain and Katrina Bekers like this.
  3. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Then I retract that statement and add the following. Although things are Volatile and subject to change, a dev much think ahead in the event of success or at least dream big to be big. at the moment we are still a very small community compare to similar popular released games out there and is understandable as its not yet finished and there is still a lot of stuff to be put in and worked on. though how big will our player base be 6-12 months after the final wipe? we don't really know yet of course but we would have to plan for it right? As soon as a game starts getting known as a good game its not long before players start flooding in.. so plans have to be drawn up (or at least used as a foundation) to be put it place for future growth and expansion..

4. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Haha friend then you don't know me at all. I endorse PvP hense why I am one of the few who STAYS flagged. All I can say is come get a taste if you really want some pvp. I like it, I condone it and really hope there is a lot more people who want to partake in it.

Whyterose Flowers likes this.
  5. Lord Viator

Lord Viator Avatar

A reminder to all here:
    Whether currently on the road map or not, thoughts and ideas are always open for discussion.

6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Word!

7. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

I have actually been around for quite a while, and I can say for sure that there use to be a lot more people around here and a lot more optimism and excitement. Where are they?

1. Some is development fatigue, and that's hard to fight for any game.

2. Say what you will about the financial profiteering that has gone on here, but a lot of gamers see this game as nothing more than pay to win PvE. Considering that no one wants someone else to have an advantage over them, and PvE games are dime a dozen, the only thing left that SoA offers that is unique is the Ultima fanbase and fond memories of UO. Pillars of Eternity is a perfect example of a successful and great game made with donations, and nothing pay to win about them.

3. PvE. It bears repeating: a lot of games are dense in PvE that is the same or frankly a fair bit better, so why play here? Now a lot of games fill in the rest with PvP possibilities, but in its current form the PvP in SoA is kind of a joke. If you neuter a function, no one uses it. When the game goes live, just watch how many people actually bother to have the stealing skill for instance. No one will other than a few curious individuals. So was it worth the coding time to make it in the first place? No not really.

I kind of figure if there was no spine with regard to making a real MMO for the multiplayer portion of the game, then it seems a waste of coding time in the first place and might as well have all been billed as a single player adventure.

8. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

Just for information. I don't think people understand the system. If you flag or your guild goes to war you are in effect open to attack to EVERYONE in the game, it doesn't matter if they are flagged PVP or not. And just to troll the flagged PVP player a bit more they cannot instigate a fight against a player not flagged for PVP even if they are known to jump/gank flagged players.

IMO the system in its current state is a joke, and I welcome the OPs suggestions. The system needs a rebuild and this time with the PVP communities feedback.

9. helm

helm Avatar

The main problem (or the root cause of most problems) of current PvP is that there are no mechanisms in place to distinguish between PvP with even a modicum of virtue and mindless random griefer PvP. Even a few bad apples can easily spoil the whole barrel, and too many people are therefore kind of forced to keep the flag off.

This in turn leads to band-aid implementations like you described (even PvE players being able to initiate attacks against PvP flagged players, so that they may "try out" PvP). I believe there wouldn't need to be discussion of "PvP only modes" if this issue was properly addressed.

(I'm putting this inside a spoiler as it's slightly OT)
    As an example of such a mechanism, it probably wouldn't be that difficult to implement a "griefer flag" to the Oracle interface. You can set it against a player after a fight if you didn't initiate it, regardless of the end result. To prevent abuse of the flag, you could only set three such flags against a single griefer, and the flags would count against putting that player in the same instance again (not necessarily totally prevent it, just factor in the calculations). Some large number of flags (say, 200 set by 100 different players) would mark the griefer PK player for permadeath, and PPKs would then be able to take care of the rest.

The flags would expire after an appropriate amount of time, maybe 3-6 weeks or so.

I'm not claiming that this would be the best way to implement such a mechanism. It's just an example, intended only to show that in principle it could be done, if there was a will to do it. There does not appear to be any serious desire to deal with the problem, so PvP will likely stay as it currently is.

Womby, Katrina Bekers and GraveDncer like this.
  10. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

It is true that when you provide freedom, the double edged sword can bite you too in the form of griefing as you say. As it turns out I think this is where SoA is really strong: the folks who play this game are clearly not griefer material, and assuming some make it through, I would be happy to rely on the hard working moderators here as GMs in game to police such things. In game police to fight griefer actions is totally legitimate.

11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

All of this has happened before, and it will happen again.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  12. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

Current population is small and fairly personal, once launch hits I expect a shift. But for me I prefer a bit of grit in my gaming.

Favonius Cornelius likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.