Crafting needs to be more realistic

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by blaquerogue, Mar 31, 2016.

?

Should crafting be more realistic?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

It has bothered me since day one on how much crafting is ridiculous! heres an example.

Epic plate helm
    4 sheets of metal
    2 metal bindings
    3 chunk of coal
    edged chisle

I have am 18gauge steel metal helm for real, at most it would take one sheet cut in half! and binded together. and one strap

Wooden Lute

6 wooden boards
    15 lute strings! (really????)
    1 wax
    1 carpentry hammer

Why the hell would you need 15 lute strings for a at most 4 string instrument??

Bench
    7 wooden boards (what?!!!)
    1 carpentry hammer

seven wooden boards really?

Supple leather
    4 leather (why??)
    4 curing salt
    1 suet
    1 tanning knife

Realy 4 leather to one supple? Supple leather is made from one piece of animal hide, scraped and cured!

So just look at the ingredients on crafting stuff and ask yourself which is true and which is a rip off! :)

Gramps, Morkul, ThurisazSheol and 4 others like this.
  2. Rabum Alal

Rabum Alal Avatar

3. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

uhh...I wouldnt call that a helmet. more...a pot...and if you wear it in front of your mirror, fine. I wouldnt count on you standing after taking a macehit to the temper. More a good old permanent grin while you hear the bells sing ;)

Thing that made me go nuts, while using your helmet example. Where is the needed leather? No one ever put a simple metal helmet on without wearing a leather cap, a coif or something "warm" between the head and the metal. Makes no sense, who ever wore a simple metal helmet in winter for longer then a few hours knows why. Armor is made to protect...badly made armor or not well fitting armor is very very dangerous to the wearer itself, specially if worn daily.

But no...In SotA...you combine A with B and get C and who the F gives a crap about C being realistic? Like asking a computer nerd that never had a girlfriend to make a digital woman. The result will be Lara Croft. Like...wtf?!? ;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  4. Latnem

Latnem Avatar

Also making the Helmet wouldn't be in seconds or minutes could you imagine it taking weeks to make a set of armor and siting your guy in front of the blacksmith table logged in for that long? Some things just can't be realistic. I mean hell if you are an archer how are you wearing your armor and carrying 17 wolves heads 1000 arrows another whole set of cloths and armor along with a bag of reagents with your clockwork cat following you!

5. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

4 layers forged together & light as a feather

strings are woven together, 5,4,3,3 to form the different thicknesses.

3 for the seat, 2 for the legs, 2 on edge under top for support unseen

4 layers of leather with suet in between the layers that partially dissolves the leather for a time producing the softest yet tough leather in all the realm

:)

6. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Can't resist. Unless you are using dove -tails to put that bench together, your missing the nails and glue (hide the horses). As for the helmet, better have a bucket of oil or water handy for the quenching. And if you are going to use the Damascus steel technique, good luck. :eek::eek:

7. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Magic

Leelu likes this.
  8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Na it is fine just need people deal with the fact it is a game that needs to require in depth resources to make it a lasting game if you could craft armor with one ingot there would be no need to even bother with an economy and any attempt to make a viable lasting system would be pointless.

Complex resource intensive crafting is the only thing that will give any crafters in this game ANY kind of success and longevity.

Any more get it easy get it now stuff just kills that concept.

blaquerogue likes this.
  9. agra

agra Avatar

Just wait until the next expansion, when (like every other game that uses the pyramid-o-pain for resource numbers) they increase all of these quantities by 2, 4, or 10 times. ;)

That's when the real grind party starts.

blaquerogue and Leelu like this.
  10. Latnem

Latnem Avatar

We need to make inventory more realistic I am currently carrying 3 pianos 3 horses a llama owl cat dog 4 houses 2 grim reaper statues as well as my 2 servants but yet I don't have a backpack to wear >.<

Sorry also couldn't help it

blaquerogue, Mitch [MGT] and Leelu like this.
  11. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

The llamas are actually carrying all those and you're just carrying llama whistles.

#LlamasAreMagic

blaquerogue, CharlieChaos and Leelu like this.
  12. Latnem

Latnem Avatar

Off topic but I love llamas and it's killing me inside but I use to build Llama bombs :( I had to get that off my chest #llamalivesmatter

enderandrew likes this.
  13. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

@blaquerogue

I suspect there is an attempt towards realism, but somewhere things need to balance out for gathering/refining/crafting.

If you make a helm cost only one sheet metal then to balance out that change you need to
    A) Cause it to take a lot more refined materials to make that one sheet of metal.
    B) Cause it to take a lot more base materials to get the refined materials.
    C) Cause it to take a lot longer/lower success rate for the original materials.

This may be the one thing that really speaks to you, but there are many elements of the game that will require you to suspend your disbelief to enjoy the game. I don't doubt that recipes will change from what we have now - but developers have to balance the changes across gathering/refining/crafting.

blaquerogue and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  14. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I'd like to see it take longer, and make resources more valuable than require that I kill 50 animals to make one leather helm.

blaquerogue likes this.
  15. Latnem

Latnem Avatar

Part of the "value" of a resource includes A LOT of different items.

I look at it this way you have the time to raise your skill and the xp items give vs what you need to raise.

So kill X amount of wolves which have X chance to drop X amount of leather which lets you make X amount of Leather Caps to gain X amount of XP.

Leather caps are not your end goal it is Leather Cap of Bill Murray which takes 140 skill to attempt to make with X success rate and X crit chance and leather that only Droos from a certain mob which is really difficult to kill and doesn't always drop the leather.

Also through all of this you don't have 4x skill gain so that grind up to 140 is difficult. Some items will be as simple as go kill x amount others will be more tricky.

Now I would love to see more cross crafting items needed like UO had and I use Kegs as an example but you need blacksmith and Carpentry

16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Really? It is done - -

Make a bow take Milling and Weaving, and Tailoring And Carpentry

Make a Leather Armor Chest Piece - One take Leather work, tailoring, Weaving, Smelting, and Blacksmithy the other a few less.

Complexity in using different skills to make an end items is VERY well represented.

17. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Though if resources take longer to gather you still have to kill 50 animals to make one leather helm, instead of 50 leathers to make that helm, it may require 5 but of the 50 animals you killed only 1 in 10 of them could be skinned. So then people say, why can't I skin this animal I killed? Or why did that tree I chopped down not have any wood in it?

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

While I somewhat agree with the material requirements being wacky.. as was said earlier.. you can't be that realistic. It's a game. You really DON'T want that much realism. And to use the word 'realism' is misleading. The word you really want here is believability. But you must suspend disbelief on some level.

I once built myself a chain shirt. I forget how many 10s of thousands of rings it has. I do remember it took 40+ hours of doing nothing but sitting there with a pair pliers opening and closing rings.

So I think people should ask themselves what they really mean when they say "more realism"..

I would like to see material requirements make more sense but in order to do that the crafting system needs another way to determine exactly what it is you're tying to build. Such as with Patterns & Blueprints. :)

blaquerogue likes this.
  19. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

yeah i have a padded peice between my helm and head, and the helm is also padded inside, Maces and blunt weapons were killer to anyone in armor anyhow, most of the deaths that have been documented have had a spike through the head from a morning star type weapon, flanged mace, hammer pick etc.... no doubt those type weapons did damage not only from the hit but the impact (concussion of said weapons)

20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

i can make a bench with one 6 foot board, take a second board and cut in half for legs, scraps for braces for those legs. (ive done it and it works just fine. You can try and justify all the ingredients if you want but until you actually make it you really dont know, what materials are needed. Lute possibly, its a fantasy game so i guess they can do whatever they want (hence for me being a crafter is lame too much gathering and too much items to have for simple crap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.