UO, and for those of us that had the pleasure to play it!

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by blaquerogue, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Ive been reading a lot on these forums lately, and a few things came to mind. One of the topics was talking the longevity of a game. Immediately UO came to mind.
    I played UO since before trammel ever arrived, whatever date that was, it was my first multi player game ever. I played it from that time until about a year or 2 ago, it was far more fun than WOW, Everquest, or any other game out there IN MY OPINION. There is no way that i am trying to say that everyone feels the same, so please dont argue MY OPINION.
    I would always go back to UO, every time, no matter what game came out! I think the reason for this was the customization aspect of the game, we used to make stuff to display out of anything! We made aquariums, with fish in them, we made and designed our own stuff, before it was actually in the game! Imagination was unstoppable! Creativity was also unstoppable! (Granted some things we made looked like acid trips) but we did all this with no help of GMs or the type.
    When building your own house came into effect that was awesome as well, i had an 18x18 pallet to build whatever i wanted on! Customization and creativity, kept the game going long after the time when is should have expired! People like me and others came back to UO even after the better graphic games were out there on the market. The reasons i think were because of the creativity, and customization of the game. If this game could match the same customization's as the ones there, this game would live on as long as UO did and still does. Somehow i would love to see the same effect in UO, here with this game.
    *just thought of something* I sure wish we could put any item we have on us on display in our homes, weapons, gems etc...

2. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

I agree with you on UO for sure. For me I would call it freedom. It was the freedom in UO that made it so fun, but games that followed got weak. They stripped away all the freedoms until you were left with extremely linear progression MMOs with hard set roles like tank healer mage archer etc. If PvP even existed it took the form of unfun fort taking without consequences. Without real risks and real gains there is nothing fun to strive for.

3. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I think the biggest spike in UO creativity I was most fond of was when the customization of housing came out. In particular, the PVP houses that people came up with were so hilariously awesome. The houses had traps and secret doors everywhere. You could run in, but had a hard time getting back out before dying. There were side doors that could open so archers could shoot you from the second floor, and teleporters that would let you get off a flame strike in safety. With those tools, the playing field changed all the time, keeping the game fresh.

4. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

No argue. No objection. You are right.
    +1

5. radddaaa

radddaaa Avatar

6. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

You should visit my gallery!

7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

UO forever! I have an account for over 18 years on the official EA shards. Hear hear!

Leelu and blaquerogue like this.
  8. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

In time I feel that Lord British wants this game to have that feeling. Where we are the hand of creativity. We have 6 episodes and we havent even started the first one. I imagine this a very different game around EP6 .

stratigos, Vox Aquila, Leelu and 4 others like this.
  9. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Well we certainly can do a lot with our lots now, and more options to come.

I have seen some pretty creative stuff. even making huge pixel art with books and what not. good times ahead.

10. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

Still have an account here, since 1997. Just can't let it go. Too many fond memories. Looking to make new memories in SoTA! I've had more of those "good feels" from the old UO days in SoTA than I've had playing any other MMO in the last 19 some years.

radddaaa, Vox Aquila, Leelu and 3 others like this.
  11. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I know of E1 - E5? When and where did E6 appear?!?!?

Leelu likes this.
  12. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

And just as a refresher regarding UO. I have 2 accounts that have been active since Oct1, 1997 and I'm still there (Though I'm getting serious about cutting down to one, of course I've been saying that about 10 years now!)

So I wanted to post this just to remind folks that initial reviews don't always tell the story.

[​IMG]

13. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

We are on the right track for sure ,,, I started UO in its first year. and If they tighten things up and put a person in charge of the UO feels avoiding copyright BS that Sota is held to ........ it could happen....stay outside the box of typical games. We, or most of us would like the warm and cozy wile blazing new trails ..

14. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Indeed! @Duke Lorimus , I am totally stoked about the future of this game.

Vox Aquila, blaquerogue and Leelu like this.
  15. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

That pic/text should be the 1997 - Aprils Fool :p

16. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Yeah, the customization was insane in UO. Clothing, dyable, leather, dyable, colored ores, colored armor, customizable houses. Would be nice to see customizable housing in this game in the future, and color customizable options, even if it's more varity of colored ores. I was never a fan of WoW, everyone, of every particular class looked virtually identical.

17. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Well, customizable houses is a little bit polemic point. But already discussed here many times.

Leelu likes this.
  18. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

UO came out September 1997, it didn't have customizable housing until AoS expansion which came out in February 2003. 6 years later. So to say you enjoyed the customizable housing in UO is in no way, shape or form a "polemic point", it's looking back at the past and hoping to see such again in the future. The infant stages of customizable housing are already here with the building blocks being purchasable and buildable, there will be some that have fully block-built houses. 6 six years can you not see a larger variety of building blocks be buildable/purchasable? I do. Really the only thing separating a building block house from a house is the ability to lego 'snap' the pieces together, do you think such would be impossible, in 6 years? I don't. If the fans ask for it for 6 years, and the base grows, and demand is high, and it's do-able in the future, I don't see how it is in any way impossible.

Perspective and state of mind can make a great difference.

Nhili Dragon, Leelu and blaquerogue like this.
  19. Kliirkast

Kliirkast Localization Team

Absolutely !

Leelu likes this.
  20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Our youth is dead. Let it rest in peace *bittervet*

Leelu and GraveDncer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.