Ok this is what I see as possibilities for Crafting, Specifically Metals.

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Weins201, Apr 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

The same methodology can be applied to Woods, Cloths and Leathers.

But as it stands now I see a very limited use of the Materials we have. There are 2 Base Metals and 2 other Metals we are using to make Composites. There are two more metals that we have yet to define a use for.

Also I see that using the same properties for Armor and Weapons to also be a waste of materials. True they could be similar - but, come one we have and deserve a lot more variety and complexity. Let put some creativity to use and give us a very robust crafting system. What we have now is, I am sorry, Weak.

The below chart shows what I think we can do with the metals alone . . .

[​IMG]

Again the same concept applies that these are for a single material - 1 ingot / 1 sheet / 1 coil . . . If the items takes more, i.e. 7 Sheets for a Plate Breast Plate then 7x the properties.

Again do not get wrapped around the numbers, just the concept.

We deserve a much more robust crafting system than what we are being handed.

If such a massive change can be made to the Combat System then so can / should one be made for crafting.

And the longer we wait to get this level of complexity the more time is plain out wasted.

Ok because of some people whinning in ODE here are some name changes to the metals Valorite is Moon Steal, Agapite is now Blood Steal, and Amberite is Grump Steal

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  2. Carebear 180

Carebear 180 Avatar

Why are you changing the base properties of Iron and Copper when you add Tungsten or Zinc (I.E. Spell damage increase 2% instead of leaving the Iron base as Damage Increase 2%, Intel increase 2%)

Just wondering what your thoughts were on it.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

The reasoning is on the right, and why not it is more variety, again do not get wrapped up in the specifics numbers or properties just the concept and variety

I changed them to give more variety for Mages, if you want to be more spell specific you can use those metals?

In the same concept Iron could be for Mele / Copper for magery types this is just a base idea.

Moiseyev Trueden and FrostII like this.
  4. agra

agra Avatar

Can almost read the chart. Almost. Please increase either the resolution, the size, the font size, or where you're hosting it, because every one of these you've made is pretty much unreadable. I don't know how or why, but... you gotta fix it, man!

For reference, the section above entitled "composite material results" ? that's readable. The rest, almost barely not at all. :|

Aldo and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  5. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I think this would complicate things.

I agree that we need more variety in stats with crafted things, but you should not have properties of one metal change by adding it to another.

Copper should give the same stat (per sheet/coil/etc) whether it's by itself, or if you combine it with tin/nickel/zinc/tungsten. If you combine it to make the secondary ingots, then the only thing that should change is what the tin/nickel/zinc/tungsten add to the item.

I can see maybe having different properties for the ingots used for weapons as opposed to armor. Adding a weapon damage modifier to armor seems silly, as does adding defensive stats to a weapon. But if they are different, they should sort of mirror themselves. For example, if one metal gives +% crit chance to a weapon, it should give resistance to crits on armor. If something gives +Focus on a weapon, it should give +Health to armor.

I think we need to wait to see what zinc and tungsten do to the crafting stats before we can decide we need more variety. Also, don't forget there is also Obsidian that gives another set of stats to add to the mix. If they ever allow obsidian to combine with tin/nickel/zinc/tungsten to create 4 more varieties... we might have plenty of diversity.

6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Well you want to stay simple I want the complexity in when the game goes live, also obsidian is a material all by itself, they are not combined to make composites at all .

7. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

There is a difference between complex and confusing. Complexity can be obtained with variety and options to make things different.

I think changing stats of one metal because it's combined with another metal is confusing. Adding copper should mean one thing throughout...

I'm OK with copper adding attack speed to a weapon and damage avoidance to armor. As I said above, offensive properties for weapons and defensive properties for armor just makes sense.

But I don't think copper should change to critical hits or damage avoidance because it was made with tin/nickel to make Bronze or Constantan... or change again to spell range for weapons and spell cooldown stats... just because it was made with zinc/tungsten.

That's confusing. Copper stats should be copper stats throughout.

The complexity and diversity comes from adding the rare metals to make the secondary ingots (and gives an additional stat on top of the static base metal stat).

And as for the Obsidian. I did say "If they ever allow obsidian to combine..." that would give us more options. That may never happen due to the specialty nature of the obsidian forge. But I can see it being a possibility at some point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.