Dose gear have to break?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Earl Atogrim von Draken, May 7, 2016.

?

Dose gear have to break at some point?

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. Dunno.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Topic says it all.
    I say yes.
    If we want a mesningful economy gear hast to break at some point in it's existence.
    A economy based on repair kits is no economy to me.
    Of course gear shouldn't break after one week of use. But what about 3 or 6 month of constant use?
    Pledge stuff should never break as add on Store stuff shouldn't. But both should need repair.
    That's my point of view.
    I am courious how you Lords and Ladys think about this topic.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  2. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I would prefer it if repair kits repaired a weapon less and less the more it was repaired. After many many repairs, it would take so many repair kits, it would make more sense to just make a new weapon. But if someone was rich or just dumb and lazy they could keep wasting money on their favorite weapon forever.

3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Its gotta but also has to be much easier to farm and build stuff..

People would rather make diffrent varites of gear vrs all the vendors selling repair kits.

Beaumaris and Jarl Atogrim like this.
  4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

If we want to have that special weapon after 10k mob kills, one way to mark it work is to introduce weapon reforging where a broken weapon become a crafting materials instead of just dissipated into air. So the blacksmith or carpenter will remake it.

Just thinking of Aragon's sword from Lord of the ring that they reforged at Riverdale. Or make the broken weapon to be deco item for keep sake.

5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Both nice ideas.

Juzzie likes this.
  6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I agree but another option might be..

Have them earn thier powers a tad faster but still break your skill in not dying could prolong the weapons live/value.

Say (fake math) a sword has 200 durability and you achieve slayer with 120 max durability left vrs the other dude who is terrible hit slayer with 30 durability left. You could place your epic sword on ur vendor and work on the next great master piece.

7. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

My Meteoric Chainmail chestpiece just broke. I got 24 metal scraps for it. It was a 90% chance enchant too :(

Chatele, Adam Crow and Jarl Atogrim like this.
  8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea but it would not be as painfull if you were able tobmake 4 or 5 chest pieces with the same amount of gathering time.

Jarl Atogrim likes this.
  9. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Painful is OK. I knew the risks (it is written on the crafting screen), and I have my founder chainmail to fall back on. Making gathering 5x easier just makes items worth 5x less, and decreases the average time for the playerbase to achieve best gear by 5x

KuBaTRiZeS, SmokerKGB, Shadow and 2 others like this.
  10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea but its less about the value and more about making crafting fun.

Adam Crow, Jarl Atogrim and Juzzie like this.
  11. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

That's subjective. Fun for some people involves a challenge, and a long term view to the game. Personally, I am not of the group that wants it all NOW! I like to put in some effort to get what I achieve, it feels more rewarding and hence is more fun to me.

Right now I am back in the game, in the mines killing kobalds and mining more ore to replace the piece I just broke.

12. Juzzie

Juzzie Avatar

Yes +1 for crafting more.

Olddog, PK U and Jarl Atogrim like this.
  13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

You misundersand me, challange is importang i think people should have to invest time to achieve a high crafting skill, make a bunch of low.level crappy gear to get learn to make the good stuff well.

Jarl Atogrim likes this.
  14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Need MOAR votes!
    You people always want that your opinion is important!
    So give this Poll your votes! ;-)

15. JaeJaeMe

JaeJaeMe Avatar

Equipment SHOULD break if it's not well tended to. But, if I have a well-made bow and I take care to keep it oiled and away from moisture (the same with my bowstring and arrows) when not in use and repair the weapon when necessary, why shouldn't it last for years?

I think weapons breakage should depend on how well the owner cares for their weapons/tools. Just like in RL. :)

KuBaTRiZeS, Shadow and Jarl Atogrim like this.
  16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Will in that case I think this care taking should be more complex than throwing a repairkit on it.

17. agra

agra Avatar

There's more value in a long term gold sink (repair) than a one time gold sink (breakage), in my opinion.

18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Can't see the difference. From a gold sink point of view it doesn't matter. There is no difference between buying a repair Kit or a new pice of Armor.
    Beside: it's no gold sink at all. Gold is going from the buyer to the crafter in both cases.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Based on that a shield should last 1000 yeasrs after taking 300 or 400 mace hits a day. At a certin point the metal will be soft and offer no protection. Bow staves eventually break though you can salvage the the string and place it on a new stave its essentialy a new bow with the old string.

Jarl Atogrim likes this.
  20. agra

agra Avatar

The difference is in what the player is willing to bear. Paying 100 a day or 1000 a week vs. 10,000 a month is significant.
    And, in this case, currently, in Shroud, buying repair kits as a gold sink doesn't involve a crafter at all. It's not a player-to-player transaction, which recycles gold (not a sink) it's a player-to-NPC transaction which removes gold (a gold sink).
    No-one is going to make repair kits in Shroud unless the single recipe returns between 10 and 20 kits. It's not cost effect in raw materials otherwise, never mind the time investment for harvesting.

Ice Queen, KuBaTRiZeS and SmokerKGB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.