Sorry - but I'm so lost

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Josh Randall, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

Yah, I'm really not liking that at all :(

It just doesn't make sense since housing is one of the largest draws for these types of games - talk about shooting yourself in the foot - go figure

Phydra, Time Lord and himmelweiss like this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~It Ain't Never Filled Yet!'~
    So far, I've never seen this place ever filled with housing yet, so I don't think housing is ever going to be a problem...
    "If it hasn't happened yet, then the sky ain't falling" ;)

[​IMG]

But it could...
    ~Time Lord~:D

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    Josh Randall2 likes this.
  3. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Hmm, might be because quite many players with housing pledges aren't really worried about placing their deeds until after the Final Wipe.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Curt

Curt Avatar

Has you found the errand the town crier in soltown has?
    its a way to get money without combat.

5. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

We already know that the number housing plots available in game will exceed the number of deeds sold in pledges and on the add-on store by 30%, so even if all those deeds are used after final wipe there will still be lots of housing available.

Josh Randall2 and himmelweiss like this.
  6. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Sure... but, how is a new player supposed to get a "deed" when HE actually wants to buy one with ingame Gold?

7. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

They will eventually obtain it one way or another. Whether, share with other guild members in a guild house, make a deal with lot owner and become trustee (pay rent/taxes), convince their guild to pool money to buy a lot deed from npc vendor (if available) or other players, or just invest in add-on store lot deed/package, etc.

8. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

No not yet - I've only found and completed a few:

Completed
    • Bridge of the living dead
    • A thing with a Charlotte Gray
    • Iron ore
    Found - Not completed
    • Mail from Soltown to Ardoris - can't find the guy to give to
    • Iron blades for Geof - can't get the drop - killed lots of skels
    • Problems in Soltown - can't find the guys to give to
    • Farmhouse problems - I have the key, but not the quest LOL
    Haven't found any others

9. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

1) Ardoris town crier, when you come in run right across the bridge he's right there. Hard to miss.
    2) Usually skeleton right by the house you got the key from will have. Just keep killin till you get it.
    30 Farmhouse quest is the bald guy in the back left corner of the tavern in Soltown, Bentley is his name.

10. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

So in other words:
    A new player can't buy his own "deed" if no NPC Vendor is selling any deeds and if the new player just simply has not hundreds of $ for the add-on store.
    So, my understanding is that you call this a "good design" for new players?

I don't...

11. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't UO also limited in land? Isn't land that is in 'high demand' beneficial to the perceived housing market? It sure has you up in arms, in multiple threads!

Demand in housing lots is good. Housing does not give anyone much advantage over anyone else, other than a good place to bank more stuff.

12. Curt

Curt Avatar

Was the mail delivery i meant its a repeatable and gives 75-200G depending on where you is sent.

13. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Sound like you've missed a few things, maybe I can help get you back on track.
    South from Blood River is the City of Aeire (thats where I live, and where it sounds like you have gone to several times now)
    just outside the city you should see the town crier if you talk to him, you should be able to bind here and use your recall scrolls to come back later, I don't recommend that at this time, instead you would be better off to bind in Soltown, or Owl's head while your starting out and homeless. (you can change your bind point at anytime by talking to a different town crier, or from the house menu on a lot that you own or have permissions at)

you want to go into the city of Aerie and follow the road past the big wall.

You should be looking at an open courtyard with some vendors under cloth tents.
    On the far left side of the courtyard from where you entered is the bank building. It has a sign out front with a square that contains a circle.
    On the first floor is the banker, if you talk to him, the menu that opens up has a button labeled "claim rewards". go ahead and hit that to get any gifts that came with your pledge. (please note that, your rewards will be listed at the location "rewards" that means you can retrieve them from any bank, however if take them out, even only start to drag them, that will put them in local inventory, either yours or the bank depending on where you let go, which means either they will be in your pocket, or deposited to the local bank. If they are in the local bank, you will have to come back to aerie later to retrieve them)

On the second floor you can find a person that sells home decorations, and another that will allow you to create a guild, and a another that will sell you houses and basements (if I remember right)

exiting the bank looking left you will see a road that leaves the courtyard towards a big statue, the second building on the left is a blacksmith shop, there you can buy weapons, armors, and repair kits. (it has weapons on it's sign)
    (this is also a great place to sell weapons and armor you find in your travels)
    Across from the blacksmith shop is the alchemy shop, (it has a mortar and pestle on its sign) there you can find an alchemist that sells all kinds of alchemy recipes, and spell components. In the same room is an obsidian crown merchant.
    (you probably don't want to mess with him right now, but remember where he is, he'll become important later after you get your feet wet)

Directly across the street from the bank is a female charater standing around doing nothing. She is the adventurer trainer, for a price you will teach you most of the combat related skills, except for the skills that require a master trainer.
    new skills cost 100g each, so you usually want to sell any collected junk you've found before talking to her.

Across the courtyard from the bank you will see another road leading away from the courtyard.
    On the right side of the road is a wooden pavillion that contains all the crafting stations, and on the left side slightly further is another wooden pavillion that also contains all the crafting stations.
    The one on the right is my house, and those stations are "expert" stations and give you a slight bonus to your skills while crafting, your welcome to use them anytiime.
    The one of the left is the NPC crafting pavillion, It also contains all the crafting stations but they are basic and don't give the same bonus, but otherwise are exactly the same.
    (just double click any station and it will put you in crafting mode, receipes you know will be on the left side, the crafting tables contents will be on the top right side, and your inventory will be on the bottom right)
    Items that are greyed out have no use and are not part of any recipe at that crafting stations. Items that are White, can either be repaired, salvaged, or part of a crafting recipe for that station)
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Recipes and http://sotacraft.com/ can be used to figure out new recipes or to look up what can be made at what station.
    Inside the left pavillion you will find 2 important crafting NPC. one is the crafting trainer, that will teach you new skills such as fishing for 100g per skill taught.
    The other is the Crafting merchant, who will sell you tools and materials you will need for crating.

When your not at a crafting station you can hit "b" key to open your Recipe Book, and browse all the recipes you know.

Outside the left pavillion you will find the "Aerie Public Vendor" it's kinda like the auction house for Aerie and is a place you can buy or sell goods to other players.

Most likely you will want to go to the more popular side of the Map, where your more likely to run into people to help you.

Exit Aerie and you should see several boats, the boat on the far left should say "Elysium", double click it.
    This puts you at the town of Elysium, with several more boats, the boat on the far left should say "Etceter" double click it to take that boat.
    This will put you at the city of Etceter next to a bridge, cross the bridge, at the first intersection go right, at the second intersection (Honor Hold) go left, at the thrid intersecion (kiln) go right, then keep going north until you see the ocean.
    There you will find the capital city of Britanny, and a boat that says "Hidden Value".
    Double click that boat and you will be at the city of Kingsport in hidden vale. If you go north towards the volcano you will find the city of Owl's Head.
    If there is anyone at all on, there will be someone in Owl's head. (there are also a few quests to pick up here)

You may want to check out @Themo Lock guide for day 1 characters
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/day-1-player-guide.42368/

You may want to check out @Themo Lock guide for leveling your character.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...what-is-going-on-a-sota-leveling-guide.41503/

You may want to check out the maps
    http://www.sotamap.com/

you may want to check out the wiki for the quests in Owl's head
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Owls_Head/Quests

more generally you may want to check out some more quests (not all quests are documented at this time, but some are, and most of the ones in Hidden Value are so it should be enough to get your feet wet)
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Category:Quests

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    Acred, Aldo, Solazur and 3 others like this.
  14. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I find the most frequent drop for these are 'Bandit Leaders', you can find them all over the place but East Perennial Trail is the most convenient for Soltown.

You think we should just give all new players a house? Why? At the moment you can choose to invest money or time if you want a house, current house ownership is weighted towards the money side because there's less incentive to invest time when there are frequent wipes.

Josh Randall2 and Time Lord like this.
  15. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Wow, hold on, nobody ever said all newbie players should get instant player housing...

You do realize that my concerns are mostly about what happens after FW, right?
    You also do know that after FW you prolly won't be able to buy any deed from any NPC Vendor, right?

So i do not understand your "invest time" comment.
    There is no time to invest if there are no "deeds" to buy within the game.
    Oh wait, we may get some form of lottery, great i guess :p

I think a core mechanic, such as housing should be accessable for all players, yes, expecially for new players.
    Worked quite good in UO.
    Ofc. they should have to invest some time. But the latest info we have is that we may have to win in some form of lottery system for getting a deed o_O....

Hey i mean, i have my deeds and stuff like you do, so i shouldn't care what happens to players who may join us after final wipe, right?
    NO, that's just WRONG!!!

But hey, if Port wants even more bad reviews (expecially on Steam), just keep going that route.
    SotA will for sure die sooner than later many of you may think if they keep adding silly stuff like COTOS for repairing and Lottery for Deeds...

Solazur, Josh Randall and Time Lord like this.
  16. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Not really, plenty of land there in UO currently.

But that was even the case in 1997 - 2000.
    Ofc. placing stuff like Tower or even Keep was a bit harder to nearly impossible :p

But the smaller objects never were a problem, there was always room somewhere.
    Ofc. you had to invest some time first to find a spot.

17. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

Unless your Keep and account get hacked, like mine - then it's pretty easy to get a keep ;)

As for housing:

I understand we really don't know much at the moment, but I have to agree - a lottery does not sound like well a sound idea for the future.

Take me for example:

I don't have a house of any kind.

I have no intention of paying real money for one either.

And I'm here for Early Access (call it what you want it's still at least an alpha release).

So if I "win" the lottery and get some form of a house, than good for me (I've never won anything in my life so I'm not holding my breath).

But I want some friends to come and join me after release - how would they get a house if they missed the lottery?

Houses are by all means fluff IMO - but they also tend to be the storage boxes banks in these games normally are not.

For us pack rats. having a house really helps us enjoy the game more.

I'm just sayin...

Time Lord and himmelweiss like this.
  18. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Watch, now some smart dude comes here and posts something like:

"you can share your house with your friends"
    "if you don't have a deed join a guild, they may give you access to an house... wooohooo problem solved!"

Apparently, not really :p

I am glad Josh that you do understand what my concerns are all about...

Josh Randall2 and Time Lord like this.
  19. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

I think this is a concern for quite a few people and housing has always been an issue of contention is MMO's.

I don't think there are any real nay sayer's, it's just that it is one of those unknowns that IMO have not been addressed enough/properly by the dev's.

At least that's my opinion ;) and thanks for allowing me to make it :)

This really is a great community - and I'm glad I found it.

Beli, Time Lord and himmelweiss like this.
  20. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

In this thread you've not mentioned anyone other than newbie players and the "new player experience" so I've been taking your comments at face value.

Yes, as are mine.

You have made a sudden leap in your logic without making any argument. No, I don't know this. Neither do you. By what mechanism do you think this will happen?

You do understand it, you just apparently don't believe it will be possible. I don't understand why you don't believe it will be possible.

I have heard nothing about any lottery, can you post a link to the update where this was discussed?

Fister Magee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.