Diminishing returns: Melee vs. Magic

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Lazlo, Jul 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

The latest release changed skill displays to allow players to preview skills 20 levels in advance instead of just 1 (a great change I think). So I was curious and looking through various skills, and I noticed this contrast:

Stone Fist

[​IMG]

Blades

[​IMG]

So for the 20 levels beyond 100, I gain 5-6% Stone Fist damage, whereas I gain over 15% +Bladed Combat damage.

I don't know exactly how melee +damage modifiers work or exactly how much increased damage that actually translates into, but the rate of increase is actually higher from 100-120 than pre 100, while the magic damage glyph becomes extremely xp inefficient. On top of that, the melee skills are modifiers that increase the damage of melee glyphs. I'm also guessing that the focus cost continues to rise on the magic damage glyphs, although I don't know that for sure.

Am I missing something here, because it seems to me like magic damage glyphs basically become soft capped at levels where you can still make efficient progress with melee. I don't know a while lot about sota game mechanics, so maybe I'm completely wrong. If so, I would be grateful for an explanation.

2. Mandalar

Mandalar Avatar

I have no data to give you... but I did want to congratulate you on your accomplishment of at least 2 time GMing. Congratulations!

Lazlo likes this.
  3. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

I think you may be right, however i would like to point out that you are comparing a direct damage skill with a passive skill. Perhaps, for assiduity's sake you could compare data for two passives and/or two actives.

4. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Sure, I'd be curious to see the stats for the fire and life tap passives, but I don't think there is really a passive magic skill equivalent to weapon skill. In any case, it also wouldn't make much sense for active skills to hit a wall while passive skills continue to improve at a good rate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.