Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Can't Patch to 435, Can't Play The Game!!

Discussion in 'Release 30 Bug Forum' started by Daggoth2, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daggoth2

Daggoth2 Avatar

Windows 10 Pro x64 (fully patched)
    AMD FX-8370 Eight-Core Processor 4.01GHz
    32GB RAM
    GeForce GTX970 running driver 368.22

I patched fine to 416, although it failed twice, and then redownloaded the entire game from 0->416, but it eventually worked after hitting Retry each time it failed.

Patching from 416 to 417 is a different story. It has failed at least 10x now, probably more, I'm too pissed to count, trying to patch to 417.

I then uninstalled SotA using the install client, deleted the Portalarium folder entirely, and installed from scratch using the newest installer from the website, and it get's through 416 with only a couple of fails, but hitting retry eventually works. Going from 416 to 417 and it's still failing with the same exact generic error. If I hit Retry at this point, it just starts all over, downloading 0->416, lather, rinse, repeat the above....

When it fails, all it says is:

ERROR DURING UPDATE
    Could not apply patch (Developer: see logfile)

Log file is filled with a dozen or more of identical OMGZERS! errors and if I was in a better mood, I'd chuckle at that...

Here's some snippets of the log file generated after the most recent failure:

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 37)

OMGZERS! System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
    at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[MonoTorrent.BEncoding.BEncodedString,MonoTorrent.Dht.Messages.Creator].get_Item (MonoTorrent.BEncoding.BEncodedString key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at MonoTorrent.Dht.Messages.MessageFactory.TryDecodeMessage (MonoTorrent.BEncoding.BEncodedDictionary dictionary, MonoTorrent.Dht.Messages.Message& message, System.String& error) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at MonoTorrent.Dht.Messages.MessageFactory.TryDecodeMessage (MonoTorrent.BEncoding.BEncodedDictionary dictionary, MonoTorrent.Dht.Messages.Message& message) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at MonoTorrent.Dht.MessageLoop.MessageReceived (System.Byte[] buffer, System.Net.IPEndPoint endpoint) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

XDelta command failed! ['C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/xdelta3.exe -f -d -s "C:/Program Files (x86)/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/sharedassets29.assets.resS.original" "PatcherTMP/417/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/sharedassets29.assets.resS" "C:/Program Files (x86)/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/sharedassets29.assets.resS"'] [Dir=C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar] [StdOut=,StdErr=xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT
    xdelta3: normally this indicates that the source file is incorrect
    xdelta3: please verify the source file with sha1sum or equivalent
    ,Exit=1]

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 37)

SetError: XDelta command failed!

I can send you the entire log file, if you tell me how and where to send it...

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Submitting to our tech team. Thank you for posting. We will work to resolve this issue asap.

@Chris @BurningToad

3. Daggoth2

Daggoth2 Avatar

Thanks @Attenwood. If you can provide instructions on how to send them my entire log, I'll get that to them ASAP, if that will help.

4. BurningToad

BurningToad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Do you have any virus or malware scanner software installed? You could try disabling that while installing the game to see if that helps. Also, if you don't mind using Steam, you could link your SotA account to steam on your SotA account page and then try installing and playing through Steam.

5. Daggoth2

Daggoth2 Avatar

@BurningToad Yes, but it ignores the entire Portalarium folder and subfolders. I'll try disabling though, just to see.. I'd really rather not link my account to Stream, I prefer to leave it standalone like it is.

UPDATE: No difference with Windows Defender turned off.

6. Daggoth2

Daggoth2 Avatar

OK, so I downloaded tail64 for Windows and tailed the log while trying to patch for the umteenth time. This is the exact point where it fails:

XDelta command failed! ['C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/xdelta3.exe -f -d -s "C:/Program Files (x86)/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/sharedassets3.assets.resS.original" "PatcherTMP/417/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/sharedassets3.assets.resS" "C:/Program Files (x86)/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/sharedassets3.assets.resS"'] [Dir=C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar] [StdOut=,StdErr=xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT
    xdelta3: normally this indicates that the source file is incorrect
    xdelta3: please verify the source file with sha1sum or equivalent
    ,Exit=1]

SetError: XDelta command failed!

SetError: Could not apply patch (Developer: see logfile)

Handle Error for message: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at MonoTorrent.Dht.MessageLoop.ReceiveMessage () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Incoming message barfed: MonoTorrent.Dht.MessageException: Server Error
    at MonoTorrent.Dht.Messages.ErrorMessage.Handle (MonoTorrent.Dht.DhtEngine engine, MonoTorrent.Dht.Node node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at MonoTorrent.Dht.MessageLoop.ReceiveMessage () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

7. BurningToad

I've seen this type of patching error before, it isn't too uncommon unfortunately, but it has also been difficult to solve. The core problem here is that first you go from 0-416, which is essentially downloading a large zip file, and just extracting it. Then, to go from 416-417, you are downloading a zip file of "deltas", extracting it, and then applying those deltas to your 416 files and changing them to what they should be for 417, using xdelta. This requires that the original 416 file match exactly what we expect it to be, so we can correctly transform the file. For some reason, in your case (and some others) the files do not match what we expect them to be, and so it fails. So... something is happening to change these source files... thats why I usually ask about 3rd party virus software. Other things could be things like.... if you use the operating system to compress folders or something like that, or perhaps encryption? Something that changes the files on your machine such that when we write the file to disk with the patch client, it doesn't exactly match what we expect.

8. BurningToad

One small piece of good news is that I will be sure to release a 0-> latest patch for the next patch that we release (though it may come slightly after the patch.) This will at least ensure that you could reinstall the game and play over the weekend, since only the initial patch would be required.

9. Daggoth2

Daggoth2 Avatar

Nothing out of the ordinary on my end. No compression, and as I said, I ignore the Portalarium folder structure with AV (Windows 10 version of Windows Defender), and tried turning it completely off, with no improvement. At least if I can get the 0->418 patch, I should be fine.

10. BurningToad

We are currently building version 419. I will be sure to release a 0-419 patch today when it is available.

11. Daggoth2

Daggoth2 Avatar

Thank you @BurningToad just updated with the 0->419 patch and worked like a charm! Thanks @Attenwood for getting it to the right people :)

12. Daggoth2

Daggoth2 Avatar

@Attenwood, having the same issue going from 434 to 435. The 0->434 patch works fine, but the incremental 434->435 fails exactly in the same manner as the last time I had this problem (see above). Can't get around it, so can't play at the moment. Need a 0->435 patch when you can make one @BurningToad. Thanks in advance...

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  13. Daggoth2

Daggoth2 Avatar

UPDATE: After numerous (too many to count) RETRY attempts, FORCE LAUNCH attempts, quitting, rebooting, and everything else you could possibly try, a 434->435 patch finally succeeded. No clue why this happens every 20 or so patches, but it still seems to be an issue, although this time it was eventually recoverable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.