Ten Ton Hammer "Adding onto his new findings"

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by KrojinKin, Oct 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KrojinKin

KrojinKin Avatar

Now that we know the game will possibly have a tree branching crafting system and if so, the recipes are not obtained via a HuD screen that says "You need 3 x and 5y and 2g" Your going to need some form of keeping track of the recipes you find through trial and error.

I was thinking when you find a new recipe you obtain a sort of scroll you can open and it will have the recipe written down For future use.

I've played games like Wurm online where you didn't know how to make something unless you accidently fell on it or used a bit of common sense but in the case where it's not common sense the game mechanics didn't provide you with any source of recipes so you had to either Write them down on paper or, later when they became more popular use the Wiki.

But in any case I think finding a recipe is something to keep secret like a family heirloom to sell for yourself and be one of the only people out there with it.

Where this goes im not sure but it's a good idea.

2. vjek

vjek Avatar

July 8, 2013 video:
    GD: Ok, I have a question about crafting from Matthew " Will the crafting table have a journal attached to it that keeps track of recipes you discover? Will it be possible to have scrolls or books that you can keep your recipes in? "

RG: That latter is in fact the case. The recipes will exist, you will be able to collect them and be able to refer to them as .. to jog your memory, so to speak. Our intention is that a lot of information, things like recipes will in fact be shareable, player to player. So, in theory, we've had this discussion so far, but we're thinking that if you go look up on the Internet "How to Make a Chair" , we're not necessarily going to stop you from making a chair if you have all the right tools and the right information and just use that thing appropriately.
    But, a lot of knowledge will be directly shareable, player to player. And what I mean by that is, one of the ways we're going to get emotes into the game, like a dance move or a special salute is by teaching it. We'll actually give it away to a few people in the world, and when those people master that skill, they can then teach it to someone else who will then inherit that same skill who when they master it they might be able to then pass it on, and teach it to someone else. So, lots of forms of information will be able to be copied and handed from one player to another through a variety of mechanisms as either a gift or as training.
    --

July 15, 2013 video:
    GD: I do. The next question comes from coolphoenix. "Will recipes be dropped or can we buy them from a vendor, or can they be automatically learned, or trial and error learned?"

RG: The short answer is, all of the above is the broad intention. There'll be both recipes that you can learn and pass down from one person to another, most recipes you should be able to copy, so to speak, to somebody else's cookbook. You will have the metaphoric cookbook jut so you can remember what things to put out on the table, but at the moment, our intention is that you don't actually have to have the cookbook. As long as you remember or know, or somebody has literally told you through the Internet that the way you make a chicken pot pie is you dice some potatoes, you dice some chicken, you add in a handful of herbs and other vegetables and put some dough in a pan and you've got the pan and you've got the .. brush some butter around the top and you put all the right tools and ingredients out on the table and your skill level is correct and you say put it all together. Then it should work. That means sort of by definition you can discover recipes but the fact that recipes are discoverable is also why we're trying to make sure that the amount of potential ingredients is Big. Because that way the odds of stumbling into a valid recipe by just random association we're hoping is low enough to where you should feel some sense of obligation to either go learn it from someone else or if you're actually a Cook, we're going to try and fulfill that dream. In the sense of, if you're going like "Oh, ok, let's see if they made a chicken pot pie. If I was going to make a chicken pot pie, here's the ingredients I'd put together". We're not just going to have just one recipe for chicken pot pie, we'll likely think of dozens that we might include ourselves, and maybe take some submissions and people will go "Look, I have a great recipe for chicken pot pie and mine uses twice the pepper that yours did", so you really gotta accept one that uses twice the pepper, then we can add that too. I think it'll make the whole recipe orientation, or the alchemy orientation of creation, I think it'll make it fun both contribute to, for all of us, including yourselves and to discover as well as a player.
    --
    Hopefully that clarifies it a bit.

3. Balnir Morlemaine

Balnir Morlemaine Avatar

I want books we can write in, and I think those would be perfect for keeping recipes in!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.