Explain SOTA to me please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deides, Jun 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

I can't say I am obsessed with RG, to follow him as some cult leader. But the game and offered features were able to excite my inner nerd, even though I am far from being a nerd. I've only played UO games for a short while. SOTA has some potential, I was surprised that I was able to enjoy it in R29 as much to upgrade my pledge to the level I didn't think I'd ever go. I still do believe that both Richard Garrior and Chris Roberts (Star Citizen), are probably two of the very few devs left oth there, with passion and vision on how to make enjoyable games. While both host rally expensive virtual items to promote funding for their projects, still have great vision for the things they like the most to do in life. I just hope that RG won't abandon this game, as he did with Tabula Rasa, to fly into space on the money that was made from that game and then game was just canned.

In that regard, while both RG and CR use gaming market as s way to make money, I hope that both SOTA and SC, will be life longe projects for both visionary men. If RG does to SOTA the same he did to TR, is ill never trust him again on any of his new projects. As of now, I do trust in his vision and supported this development as much as I could. I have other problems though, to keep my e same game for long. But that's not entirely problem of the developers. I do want to see SOTA to grow into one of the most immersive fantasy RPGs, and SC to be one of the best Space MMOs. Both have great mind behind the project, and great potential.

Hornpipe and Time Lord like this.
  2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

What an interesting take on those events.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I can't believe someone called SOTA a money grab. That is by far the lamest overused insult in the MMORPG community. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a money grab. Though I'm not sure how people think making a purposefully bad game is some how a winning money making strategy...

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Lol yes, or the time Garriott flew to Jupiters moon in his rocket powered castle to battle space aliens

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Those who beleive RG wasn't scammed in selling UO and TR (forcefully) clearly haven't followed the news and Lum the Mad rants :p

Time Lord and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Takes three to build a teepee ._.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~How Can I Explain SOTA~
    [​IMG]
    when it takes a million word dictionary :mad:!'

8. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

GO?

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Sir Gamy

Sir Gamy Avatar

[​IMG] need more support? need more time?..doubt it

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

To talk about doubt, you should have point for comparison.

I have no doubt : they need more support to do something which looks like any other MMO on the market...

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Except SC non of this games was crowdfounded. So your point of comparison seems off to me.
    Plus we don't know how much money was raised by RG and the investors.
    So we can only guess at the moment.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Crowdfunded or not, I guess that a game requires developers and equipment to be developed. The budget certainly varies depending on the type of game, not really on the terms of funding. But yes, Portalarium can make savings: the music is created by the community, advertising is provided by the community, the translations are done by the community. Besides this, they need money (and time).

This is not a criticism but a fact that applies to all of us. The more they have money, the greater the resources at their disposal are. They can show a lot of ingenuity and spend less for the same result. But the more they have, the better the game will be.

Acred and Time Lord like this.
  13. Daggerithian

Daggerithian Avatar

Yeah we realize it's not finished yet but at this point how much "different" will the game be when it's done? Will combat suddenly be totally different? Will we be able to actually throw objects on the ground..etc..and interact with the world to at least the variation of Ultima VII through Ultima IX? or even half of that for that matter? Where is the exploration besides on small maps the size of an average Unreal Tournament map?

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

A lot of people complained recently of a radical change in combat (the famous crosshairs and hybrid sighting). I would say that the game is evolving as the ideas are maturing.

I'm not a gypsy : I don't see the future in a crystal ball. Let's say if it is technically possible without player abusing it, it could be done. Maybe not with episode 1, maybe later. Or maybe this will cause too much problems with the online side and it will never be done. Who knows ?

Sometimes it's not the size that counts. ;) Sometimes I lost my keys in 5 square meters. I can assure you that I have to use explorer skills to find them.

15. Womby

Womby Avatar

Welcome to SotA, Deides. It is far from finished (game launch is several months away), but final wipe is coming soon and we are all looking forward to no longer losing our progress while we help test bugs, etc.

I agree that the sliders do little to change your character. The lack of ability to play other races stems from the fact that you are human. It is a story based design decision.

I can't really comment on this because I'm not a huge fan of combat, but to me the combat seems no worse than ESO. There is a lot of depth in the deck system.

They had random encounters, but they are currently disabled while they work on making scene changes quicker.

Yes, invisible obstacles are annoying. The world map was recently reworked, a process that is not complete. Animations are a work in progress, as with a lot of things in this game which is still under construction.

I have to disagree about textures being too detailed, but that is subjective. I prefer a lot of detail. Perhaps I don't understand your meaning.

Well, obviously the game isn't free. It costs money to buy it. (Buy to Play.) People don't like subscriptions, which is why they are no longer mandatory in ESO. Since Gold Crowns of the Obsidians can be purchased from other players using in-game currency that you can gain through grinding, it is entirely possible to enjoy the entire game without paying a cent more than the initial purchase price. If you don't have time to grind, there are shortcuts. Just like ESO.

Again, subscriptions only appeal to a minority. The purpose of property taxes is to provide a money sink so that the game doesn't suffer from runaway inflation as gold is generated by NPCs paying for loot drops. It is a delicate balance. If you remove property taxes you have to find some other way to remove gold, and property taxes have the advantage of taxing those with the greatest ability to pay.

The lack of quest markers is a deliberate design decision and one that I agree with. It encourages exploration and interaction. However, I agree that the ability to ask an NPC for the location of another NPC would be a nice addition, provided it didn't involve quest markers. Something more like "Try the Tavern, it's North of here."

The current system advances skills through use, and has a soft skill cap (there is noticeable skill decay at high levels). There are are two broad types of skills: adventuring and production.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I know the devs are very interested in new user comments, so I'm sure your input will be seen.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  16. Minerva

Minerva Avatar

Without having the time to read all the posts, I want to drop my 2 cents. SotA is what you make it! Your imagination is often the main limitation, I have seen the Devs, ,more than once, add something into the game based on what players were doing. A prefect example of that is the "Gustball" for a few months we used a guys alt named "Ball" and would guys the AFK avatar. Rules and teams were created and the devs added a true gustball. The point is, this game will continue and grow and develop because of the imagination of the community as well as the developers. I am WOWed by the PEOPLE!!

Time Lord and Rufus D`Asperdi like this.
  17. emptycs

emptycs Avatar

A standard 2D game like Ultima Online would not generate revenue to compete with games like WoW. This generation is more about graphics than immersion. This game I would consider a successor in today's market. I played Ultima Online for about 7 years and loved every second of it. There is no chance that a game like that would last in this market. Give SOTA a chance, in order for it to compete with these visual intense games it has to have a certain way of gaining revenue. I wouldn't even consider it pay 2 win, I would consider it pay 2 look good!

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

Hey, don't compare me with him! He's a legume! Now, those people are 'nuts'. :p

Time Lord and MagiK like this.
  19. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

to sum thing up a bit.

A, only about $4000 into it
    B. It is NOT a finished game
    C. some people understand the concept of backing a project better than others, this game and Star Citizen Deserved funding to get made In my opinion so I helped out.
    D. Some people have the cash resources to put into funding their dreams, others have put in their time and creative effort that far our weigh the pledge $$$$.
    E. Be patient and come back when the game launches if you dont like the alpha version (or pre-alpha or beta or wherever we are at)

I think the talent involved is up to the task to exceed what UO was....in time. Actually Since I was out of the coutry when UO was hot...I think this is better :)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  20. Ogarious

Ogarious Avatar

This game will never have the fast action combat of Black Desert Online, or even Neverwinter. However. It will have a more in depth tactical combat feel to it. You see 3 bad guys there, you cant just rush them and start pounding heads. That way leads to running for your life or even a dirt nap.

So plan it out a bit, use a Fireball to hit all 3 when they're close enough to each other, then bum rush one and knock him down, finish off the weakling and then fall back and let them come to you. Use the environment to your advantage, got a tall pile of rocks they cant get over, use that to make it so they cant flank you. One of them a archerer? Hide behind a tree and keep that between you and him while you take out his sword weilding friend....

Time Lord and MagiK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.