Th'tip of the "Thai" iceberg, Dead By Daylight vs SOTA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Time Lord, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Our Game's Largest Audience and Greatest Challenges~
    The tip of the "Thai" iceberg, Dead By Daylight vs SOTA, a comparison of markets...

These exchange rates very with international monetary exchange rates.
    559 Thai Baht = aprox $15.00 USD (Steam)
    819 Thai Baht = aprox $23.00 USD (Steam)

Why am I comparing our SOTA to Dead By Daylight you may ask?... Because of this;

BTW, A special thanks to KFC Gamer! "I had a great time with you all" :D!' ขอบคุณมาก!

I spent some time with these guys and the people in their chat and found out allot about them and their audience. "A steaming live audience of 7000 plus a few" o_O and that's not a shabby number aye?

Our game truly hasn't hit the S/E Asian markets yet, and with the bomb fail of World of Warcraft's movie in the west and it being a "box office smash hit" in S/E Asia and China, you can possibly see the potential that our SOTA could have in this S/E Asian marketplace when it comes to funding.

My interests in all of this, is that I have hopes to help establish a Thai community within our SOTA and then have some true :eek: "aliens" :confused: to have as friends for us all :D

But for this posted thread, I think this helps everyone see how something like our game, just as WoW's movie, is in a niche market where it is currently, when our greater audience is truly here in S/E Asia and China.

This all also presents many problems because of our cultural differences in customs and languages... as well as a forums nightmare for moderating and an entire set of instructions that then have a need to be translated.

The many of the guys and gals in the above video and in their audience will be in our game come December and will be broadcasting in their streaming video. It's my highest hopes that we as a community will all embrace this great challenge in welcoming them, because I'm buying each of them a membership o_O But I'm still searching them out for their finest English speaking player for the interpretations needed for our game's instructions.

I don't count my chickens before they hatch, but that's the plan ;)
    What can I say... "I love invasions!" :D
    So what do you all think o_O?
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Thwip, Athanil, Bow Vale and 19 others like this.
  2. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Well done sir - hope we get many more "Shroudies" . We will embrace them with open arms!

3. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Wish you the best of luck in this endeavor. Commendable aspirations are always needed. By the way, I absolutely adore aliens . :)

Ice Queen, DuKe NuKeM, Cianna and 3 others like this.
  4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I remember trying to play UO in Thailand when the Renaissance first came out. It was way to laggy to do anything. Thing could turn out differently, if the internet wasn't crappy back then or if there were to be a shard in that region.

DuKe NuKeM, Luca Xante and Time Lord like this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I find that an interesting contrast in time, "indeed"!... because they now have totally embraced the new tech world. I've been here for some years now and I've actually found the internet here is literally everywhere and with good connectivity.

There's actually an initiative here to encourage using e-money payments for everything and talk about virtual cash. The gaming and tech world is getting a great boost from government incentives. Here's an article you may find interesting about this in Forbes;
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/chynes/...hailands-growing-tech-ecosystem/#4bd7ea525c5a

I actually believe that our SOTA could do well within this movement, or possibly suffer losses from entering a saturated market later.

DuKe NuKeM and Acred like this.
  6. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

*hugs*
    Timelord keep up the push. I for one love "meeting" people from around the world in the games I play. Love learning about the different cultures and ways of life. Having traveled the world most of my life I have the fondest memories of meeting players IRL from games. Lots of fun!

7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:)~A big thanks @Ronan!
    I don't think this will be easy, but challenging indeed. What you say in the love of meeting people was very much in play during my visit with their online broadcast. While there in their chat, I spoke a bit about Lord British and about our SOTA. The few that spoke English were quite engaging and were interpreting for some others who wanted to shout out to me. Talk of Lord British did grab some ears, as one player began speaking about Lineage and how Lord British had some early good influences on that game. I didn't hear anything bad from them. It wasn't like I was on stage or something, but having a foreigner show up in their chat made me a small celebrity among them... Though their main topic was Dead By Daylight, I think I fielded some 10 or 12 questions dealing with SOTA. 2 players had checked it out while I was there and were impressed by our graphics in comparison to Lineage II, which is still a well remembered and loved game here in Thailand;

The big difference between many other Asian countries and Thailand, is their love for foreign people while having so different values which cannot be fully explained here.
    Yet one thing I can say about the Thai people is that, "they are truly a they" as they are one of the most together in harmony national family, rather than a country full of individual independence. Their nationalism encompasses not only their passions, but their love for one another as a whole as well. This is I believe the main reasons that tech and gaming companies are flocking here because, "so goes Thailand, so goes all of S/E Asia and southern China.

8. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

it would be ok but as stated before the translation between both game and forums would be a big endeavour and the SOTA team are stetched thin as it is, don't get me wrong I do encourage them to play the game but it could prove a whole issue of new problems

DuKe NuKeM and Time Lord like this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~This is Why I Love My SOTA Hardcore Friends~:rolleyes:
    This is exactly my point, yet also it would cause problems if it's a bad review, which is why I'm holding off till December. I do feel we could get a moderator, "but for what?" Do we actually think we would have a large wave of non-English speaking players? I'm just so certain that we would have such a large influx. Sure it could happen o_O, yet when we begin to see the cultural differences of how their gaming market is captured, then we can all begin to see the much larger picture here and what such a thing entails.

I made this thread because this is not some "Rah Rah Go Get'em Time Lord" issue...
    This is a very serious issue with many different pitfalls and obstacles in it's way. Our @Matheryn is quite well placed with his well stated concerns! "It presents a whole mess of problems" and problems that need much more rhetoric in order to overcome those concerns, "if they are able to be overcome at all" o_O Maybe some can even become bypassed.

Look at this World of Tanks Event and see how SOTA doesn't fit the media blitz of the "gaming competition through culture"...

:rolleyes: That's Thai culture and how a game becomes a movement here in the ways of the major gaming companies. As one can see, this has little to do with World of Tanks, yet has everything to do with "Compgamer TV" and it's 10,000+ YouTube subscribing members. These YouTube channels represent the Pandora's Box of gamer doorways into Thailand.

Interpreting our SOTA's instructions?
    I think I can have that done for as little as $30.00 USD. But I'd rather choose the right Gamer interpreter rather than one that just knows both Thai and English. I don't think a moderator for our forums is needed, because the Thai's may use their own, or more likely, we won't have that many players from them thus reducing the need.

Did anyone notice that we have a Russian Community here in SOTA o_O?'
    @zavb9lov is our YouTuber Russian player and he's been with our game from Nov of 2013. I never forget my old friends who posted so many great comments as he. He had a birthday recently. https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/russian-commonwealth-Русский-клан-все-желающие-сюда.54462/

So we can have other communities here, without many members, or we can choose to encourage them, "it's only a matter of when that best time is to do so and how best to do so".
    We need to discover the pitfalls as well as the best ways we could think of how to best encourage such communities.
    We certainly can't restrict them from buying our game, and why would we ever wish to do that o_O?
    Any ideas at all are welcome... "both pro and con" :D

10. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

Best of luck in your endeavour :)

It certainly can be a challenge bringing together groups of people who don't share a common language - though of course many multi-lingual avatars are engaging with SotA already. A common interest or activity (like a game) helps provide some common frame of reference once everyone's familiar with it, so the early introductions are very important.

I think there was an intention to crowd source translations of in-game text once it is somewhat finalised. It would be good to have an update on that if anyone knows the current plan? There is a lot of text to deal with in the game and it would be a lot harder to play if you've no idea what the NPCs are asking/telling you.

With the wealth of emotes available in SotA, perhaps we players can develop our own international sign language!
    /ponder /yes /cheer

DuKe NuKeM and Time Lord like this.
  11. DuKe NuKeM

DuKe NuKeM Avatar

Best of luck :)

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~The True Value of YouTube Advertisement~
    I'm looking at approaching this advent come December or whenever Portalarium says our SOTA is launched. The best plan I've been able to think of thus far is to give a few pledges to a few of these YouTuber gaming moguls and let them review SOTA or give away the pledges to their fans, viewers or subscribers. Maybe by that time we will have some active action YouTube videos to show off.

~Speaking of YouTube Videos~
    ~Help Wanted~:oops:!'
    What are our best action videos of our game thus far? Does anyone have a SOTA action video that comes to mind as something spectacular created by one of our players o_O?'
    Thanks in advance for any help!

13. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

I love Thailand and it's people. Such a great vibe while living there.

My fiancée is coming for a visit soon. Hopefully she likes Canada.

I tried to play Skyrim mmo from Thailand at launch and latency was pretty bad. Gamers in SEA use VPN services quite frequently for faster connections.

The Internet Exchange in Thailand is very overloaded though for traffic leaving the country. Hopefully they get decent service

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Hey.. do you know how to read and write Thai o_O?'
    The recent intern Thai government has placed a priority on internet connectivity and interaction by the Thai people. They wish to even switch most of their in country sales with e-money payments.
    Thailand is about to become the most internet connected country in all S?E Asia :D
    I live in the center of the country, and I haven't had any problems for the past 2 years... yet before that time before Thailand's revolution gov re-start , it was a very different story o_O

15. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Learned the alphabet when I studied there for 9 months. Some vocabulary, but I don't do well with tonal languages ><

Far better at Japanese and French lol

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.