PVP Events

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cind, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ariella Shadowdancer

Ariella Shadowdancer Avatar

Seems to me that there already is a way, set it up in a non pvp instance and flag for pvp if you are in the competition. Also, as stated above, set lots as pvp and put spectators outside the lot. Also, basements can be set as pvp. Leave the pvp areas alone. If someone set a tournament in a pvp area, they opened it up for all to attend, pker's included. Bottom line, it's a choice you have to make.

Saosis, 4EverLost, E n v y and 3 others like this.
  2. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

There's already something in place to work this out... The warning everyone gets saying your entering a pvp area is enough. Any guild worth their salt would protect their guests at a pvp tourney put on by them. Although thanks to the non full loot etc that won't stop grudges in all cases but hey the death consequences in this game are slim to none anyway.

For those that don't like getting pked in pvp zones you willingly enter, here's a little food for thought... The more you complain about being pked the more likely you are to get pked....There's no game mechanic that forces you to go o these events or areas to play the game. Either get friends/protection, learn how to pvp, or don't go. Simple as that.

E n v y and Ariella like this.
  3. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Perhaps our most benevolent Oracle could grant Governors blessings that put their Towns in a PVP Event Mode. By the Oracle's grace, PVP Event Mode would allow Governors (and appointed representatives) the ability to host PVP events with all the authority of the Oracle's judgment.

PVP Event Mode:
    -allows flags to be assigned through signup process or by Governor's discretion
    -PVP events can be timed... 6hrs... 24hrs... 72hrs... 1 week...
    -all participants not assigned flags for the event are forced into a no-flag state for the duration of the event

Event tools would need some community input as to how they'd best work for signups... Events could even be marked as open (public) or closed (private)... Maybe even put notices for open events in Oracle temples.

4. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

All I can think of is some kind of POT decoration, like viewing stands, where sitting in the stand prevents you from being pvp flagged, but standing again allows you to be attacked.

Ideally a stand that can be only be turned on or off by a town steward.

But really I think part of the excitement of going is the danger of even being in the audience ;)

Of course if I was just going to watch an event in a pvp area I may choose to not bring anyone of value to the event due to the inherent danger of theft.

It seems likely in the future that there will be a group of brigands that will crash these events.

4EverLost likes this.
  5. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

Please leave the pvp areas alone. Do not water it down with more pve. PvP is already on life support. Leave it alone or take it out of the game IMO.

6. maverick77

maverick77 Avatar

Set up a new Arena/Colosseum Zone somewhere on the map where people can hold PVP tournaments. The zone would be non-pvp with a small section that flags as pvp when you enter. Think like a boxing ring. You could have surrounding stands where people are not flagged for PVP, but once they enter the ring, it constitutes a PVP ring. You could design it quite well.

Alternatively, I would like to see a pvp arena system where you could for teams of 2, 3 or 5 and queue to fight other pre-made teams. Ranking system for bonus points. Like my earlier post on how WOW did it back in 2007 at least.

Lady Cind likes this.
  7. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

If I had a way to visit these arenas and watch pvp tournaments without the risk of being attacked, I would. In fact, that may be a way to get more people to actually get involved in pvp. After watching for a while, you might just want to join in.

Pickley, Acred and Lady Cind like this.
  8. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

POTs that are already flagged for open PVP wouldn't have to suffer any of no-flag restrictions - but could still advertise open events through Oracle Temples... POT owners that don't want open PVP could now host PVP Events (public and private) in otherwise PVE only zones...

9. Ariella Shadowdancer

Ariella Shadowdancer Avatar

Don't we have an area/basement or something in Adoris that is set up for something like this?

Ravicus Sales likes this.
  10. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

and PvE takes over the world.....lol. Must have safe spaces!!

Ariella likes this.
  11. Cind

Cind Avatar

There are always ways to solve problems. A community that wants to work together and support each other always will find ways to benefit all. Shroud Of The Avatar is an AWESOME game and if issues are not brought up that could be fixed then the game would become stagnant. SOTA seems to be a game in which most are willing to come together for the good of all. Even on this thread alone many great ideas have been expressed. I hope that we hear from more players! BTW I love to support my Guildies by attending their events. I also love to support other guilds that have events and to me that is what SOTA is all about, relaxing, having friends and enjoying yourself!

12. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

I want to pk you all! :D

Ariella and Lady Cind like this.
  13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

That's the solution.
    Let the Sandbox sort it out.
    No need for additional mechanics imo.

Edit: we already have instanced pvp.
    We don't need instances in instances in instances to protect even the last one-time-in-a-year casual.

4EverLost, Weins201 and Ravicus Sales like this.
  14. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Thats a joke op right.. I mean ok..... Just make the Event in a PVE area.. Problem solved. Shouldn't be a problem. PVP cities are for fighting. If you happen to have such a city and don't want to fight make it a PVE town... PVP Spectator... wow Berek what an Idea.. You guys haven't even fixed the current flagging system, so why implement another flagging state that will break things even further.

tl dr... there is a way to fix it ingame already. use it.

15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

The solution for this is not to create more mechanics to coddle people. If you implement anything that protects anyone in a PvP scene oyu are breaking the base mechanics of the scene in itself.

There does not need to be any change.

If you are holding an event in a PvP area and a PKer is harassing your spectators the Governor can either boot that nuisance or not.

Banning the abuser is the solution, you already have this mechanic set in place for POTs, hold your event there and remove any unwelcome harassers. "Protecting" a player is NOT the solution.

If the Governor lets it be then they will lose player interest in their events, if the control the gankers, then they will garner more support.

The mechanics are there for POTs it is called banning - you can ban people who are just ganking.

In a Shardfall there is nothing you can do, as that is the exact consequence and incentive for entering the shardfall. If you change this you break it.

This thread has absolutely no positive outcome with adjusting any of the mechanics, to cater to this idea.

As already stated fix the other PvP issues - healing - non PvP attacking PvP . . . Once that is done expand the number of banned people so a governor can control his arena effectively.

16. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

And go into Shardfall collect all nodes ? Ah what a great idea LoL

Or dancing around poeple into PvP PoTs ??

WoWo

17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

As I recall, Trammel is what *saved* UO which was completely unable to get new people into the game before Trammel because the game quickly turned into a noob farm. It was well known at the time that they were losing people by the bucket loads.

18. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

We already have Trammel in this game, let us keep our Felucca.

19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Be it as it may, thats not the point.
    We have instanced pvp alrready. No need to pull the last tooth out of a aleady pretty toothless pvp.

Ravicus Sales likes this.
  20. Cind

Cind Avatar

Planned Events are different then dungeons. Please don't tell me that PVP'ers don't like spectators. I love the aspects of the game, the pvp'ers, and the care bears (as some call us). I don't view one as being better than the other. Some players do not have the ability to PVP due to their circumstances. Why does it seem to some like pulling teeth to come up with a better idea? It would be nice if SOTA would create an area like they do for auctions that PVP events could be held. This would be awesome. I don't know if these events have someone who can ban a player from the tournament. Maybe that is all that is needed. I don't want to take away from the PVP'ers that are participating just the trouble makers. There will always be trouble makers unless something is in place to stop them. IMOO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.