Current Players Online 440

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Abydos, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

It's a Shame , the game would have been so interesting and unique with PvP.

There were so many people waiting for this game . So PvP guilds. A true catastrophe of having lost his community.

As a exemple, I was on DreadLord TS last night and they played at UO on new free shard. They have all backed SotA, but they all waiting for Albion Online, Gloria Victis, Crowfall, Shards Online etc. In my point of view, SotA is best that these games but dont have good PvP.

Dont think we will build Episode 2, 3, 4 and 5 with community under 1 000 players. Maybe, but it will be expensive for us.

$oney talk !

SotA could have hundreds of PvP guild , but they all left. It's a shame...

How to get them back ?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Ah, now I see the purpose of this post. If I had known that the OP turns into a PvP thread I had not answered :p BTW - the current amount of players counts for PvE also :cool:

3. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

LoL Gotcha Baby :)

Joking

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  4. Electra Fyde

Electra Fyde Avatar

a bit like SOTA isn't released yet still being in early access and the successor to a hugely popular Ultima series, not to mention the granddaddy of MMOs; Ultima Online which is going strong 18 years later?!

there is a lot of concern over the relatively low number of players compared to other mmo's, however I would add these points

1. Don't get lulled into the "This is pre release so will get more argument", if anything this final wipe is viewed as a soft launch. yes the game will improve, and may get advertising at launch, but it won't attract many extra players. it's a niche game and most of us are here or have left.

2. that said a smaller number of players is better than millions. the smaller number will be more dedicated and understand it's alpha. they generally will support the game. if we had lots of people trying then they would leave after the first few days and trash sotas rep as happened to Rift, AOC etc

3. we all want this to succeed, and have money invested, so people who point out the low numbers are rightly concerned don't blindly defend.

4. we are only 1 world/ server, actually that's quite a lot online at once

Snikorts and Deliverence like this.
  5. Pariah007

Pariah007 Avatar

Granted the game is still being built and things aren't as smooth as they will be: it has a feel of a uo free shard as far as player base is concerned except for the much larger dev team (expenses) and more money placed into it through Kickstarter .
    I sure hope that this game succeeds and the pop will grow to where eve is. One of the issues is eve has real Pvp vs this game does not at the moment. Im not a pvper by any stretch but I can see the importance of it for some people.
    The other thing is the offline / friends only mode. Does that count towards the numbers ? Seems like many people could be playin solo or grouped only

Snikorts likes this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Our content fun is there, but it's our combat fun in getting to our game's content, that has had a setback due to the Technolian invasion which successfully has overcome what was content before.
    When our combat becomes fun, funny and entertaining once more, then our numbers will return, because challenging from being clumsy and clunky, just isn't as appealing when looking for fun.

Combat Technolian Invasion :confused:
    [​IMG]

The Score; Technolians 10, Normal Gamers Nothing...
    Our bad marks in combat can't be ignored o_O
    But still keeping the faith here...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Stahlknecht likes this.
  7. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

Uhm...

...honestly...each single time I go into town when in multiplayer mode I :

- see people in starter outfits with little capes and names like "TheDude IsHere".
    - get invited to duels for no reason at all...just because.
    - get some lag

Honestly, during the pre-wipe time, I could stand in Resolute and play music, people would come and chat and it was peaceful and good...now...people dont even stop.

So...what ever the number of players online is, its in NO WAY representing my fun or lack of.

Acred likes this.
  8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The devs should focus on creating a great single player experience now. If SotA fails as a MMO it could still succeed as a single player offline RPG.
    But if too much focus is put on the MMO part and if it fails then a half-cooked single player part that feels like an empty MMO won't save this game.

Ravicus, Time Lord and gtesser like this.
  9. disastorm

disastorm Avatar

I completely disagree, I think this game is more of an mmo than single player. Look at the main features of the game, housing, crafting, social interaction, guilds, etc, they are all reliant on online multiplayer.

A few things to note since its now been a week. At least it looks like everyone who was on last week are still on today. The steam numbers are around the same, so presumably the non-steam numbers are similar, which would mean around 800 players or so online. it is also mid-day friday, so its possible the number of players will increase from last week at night.

From a vibrant world, player interaction standpoint these numbers are decent, although preferably over 1000. I know the top 3rd party servers for UO have around these numbers and are very lively and active. I'd be interested in seeing what a single shard on the original EA UO had concurrently, I'd bet it wasn't much more than 1000 players.
    However, the important issue is if this is enough to maintain active development on the game for Portalarium. I imagine if many of the community members each continue purchasing hundreds of dollars worth of stuff from the store at regular intervals, I don't think it would be an issue, but if people stop doing that is what I'd be worried about. Of course this would all be irrelevant if more active players show up in a later release. I do think we may see an increase of players once everyone is able to place their houses and whatnot, so it would be interesting to see the numbers maybe a month from now.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Time Lord, Derium and CampersCrispin like this.
  10. BLB777

BLB777 Avatar

Hate to do this to you, but:

OLD Games that had this -
    - EverQuest 1
    - Anarchy Online

Recent games that have this -
    - Landmark
    - Shroud of the Avatar (though I guess the "lawyers" here can debate over 'launch' if they like)

That said, it IS troubling that less than 1% of total backers seem to be on at a given time. I just bought a goodly amount of items from someone leaving this game and now, am wondering if I was stupid to do so. 0.o

Nasir and Time Lord like this.
  11. Derium

Derium Avatar

If I wanted a single player experience, I wouldn't have spent over $7,000 on this game. You would get a much better experience from spending $40 on Fallout 4.

Most I would have spent on this game as single player? $0.00.

Nasir and Time Lord like this.
  12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

According to the description of the game - especially during the Kickstarter campaign - I am definitely expecting a Fallout like experience from the SP offline mode of SotA ;)

Also, it seems that even as there are some members of this community spending thousands of dollars it doesn't seem to be enough to catch up to SP games like The Witcher 3, Fallout 4 or Skyrim where people are just spending 40 dollars yet manage to make those games sell millions upon millions of copies...

Derium and Sir Cabirus like this.
  13. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

SotA will fall flat without the PVP community coming back and bring in new players. Check their reviews. Even the most fanatic PVE only RP Larper can't deny it. Nothing can beat success, and PVP will come. Unfortunately much later than it would have been good for the game and community.

14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Ehhhhhhh.... No.
    I know you want to make a point but... No ;-)

Derium likes this.
  15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Is there one modern PvP focused MMORPG that is hugely successful? Which one?
    I read about the PvP-MMO Trinium Wars that centered around resource wars and PvP combat. The servers have to be turned off only three months after launch. Ultima Online had to introduce a PvE Server. PvP MMOs like Darkfall Online had to be turned off... Others have a very few population.

Do you really think that PvP brings in the masses?

Imho PvP players nowadays settle with games like Overwatch or MOBAs.
    I cannot see how a MMORPG would succeed if it would rely on PvP only.

Sir Cabirus and Khandro like this.
  16. Nasir

Nasir Avatar

PvP players do not settle with games like the mentioned above. We are awaiting a game to fulfil our pvp needs, a lot of us had hope this would bring back old school pvp. If the "niche" group of pvp guilds that center around the same open world pvp games would come here and play it would double the current peak players. That would be the beginning. PvP brings a lot to a game, not everyone wants to strive for cute outfits and new furniture to sit in while smoking our $10 pipe.

Just last month from another well known pvp game. Alpha, pre-wipe. 700 or so players.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.