Skill gains are WAY too fast.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derium, Aug 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I would argue that skills gains are actually too slow :( Of course part of that is due to no xp multiplier, but even setting most of my skills NOT to train has resulted in REALLY slow skill advancement :eek: (In all prior releases, I leveled EVERYTHING at once, and while slow, I was still progressing at a much faster rate than I am now o_O) I've exhausted my adventurer xp pool numerous times already, and even when I set only three skills to train, I can not raise my pool above 3,000 :rolleyes: (I've been fighting in two and three skull areas primarily. Still too weak to survive in anything higher...) Very frustrating :(

StevieD, Tahru, Snikorts and 4 others like this.
  2. Derium

Derium Avatar

Eh, perhaps my vision is off because tamed pets are OP and free EXP while you gather and I wanted to see a steep crafting curve.

3. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

skills may seem to gain fast but I have to wonder how many of you have made GM yet? I am seeing the skill advancement slow down very much past 70.

4. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

maybe its skewed due to taming.... and that needs tweaking... (as it needed in uo several times ;))... skill gain itself seems pretty well balanced so far. cant talk bout taming, not into ai companions, they most likely cause more problems than they solve, but that might be due to personal playstyle ;)

5. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

You might be right. I have actually resisted the urge to use my chest mimic and fight all of my foes on my own :rolleyes: (...and yes, dying often due to mobs really does hurt your xp pool a bit :( Even with Dash, I couldn't outrun them :eek: )

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I think it's fine as it is for gathering and combat skills. Getting to 40 in a skill is part of the learning for newcomers it should be fairly easy to get to 40 as they're learning how to play and feel they're getting somewhere. It gets considerably tougher and more time consuming as you go up. I would say it's too slow. Trust me you won't be saying how easy it is once you get some skills up there, it's tedious and mind numbingly boring grinding it out. Now I don't know about fishing because I've been working myself to death leveling gathering and skills. It's not too easy, unless someone knows some trick I'm not aware of that gets you gm skills faster other than grinding creatures. I don't use a pet so maybe if it's something to do with pets making it easy street maybe that's where a fix needs to go in.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Numa, Black Tortoise, Fauxpas and 3 others like this.
  7. lordarach

lordarach Avatar

Fishing is not going that easily. I'm at level 67 now, and it's down to a slow creep. I can't imagine what it'll be like in the 90's.

8. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Good to know. :)

I can say this when you get to 90 in your swift gathering in your gathering skills, don't bother with the +40% swiftness potion, it makes little difference. Just use your prosperity or bronze tools and call it a day, lol.

Time Lord, Krissa Lox and lordarach like this.
  9. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

1000% agree! I'm already getting bored, because there is no challenge in skill gain.

Jatvardur and Time Lord like this.
  10. lordarach

lordarach Avatar

Swift gathering!?! I could be doing this faster? Oh. Nevermind. That doesn't exist for fishing.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I don't think so for fishing, but for the others you can like mining, skinning, etc. They haven't worked on fishing in a while now. :(

Time Lord and lordarach like this.
  12. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

Ah, that may explain a difference in results. I'm not leveling Swift Gathering simultaneously with the others. I locked SG and SD at 40 to focus on base skills and Met Coll. Maybe that's banking me more xp than expected.

In retrospect, maybe that does mean things area working as intended if my choice to only level half the harvesting line is what enables me to do more crafting.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Time Lord and Ice Queen like this.
  13. Net

Net Avatar

Some dedicated players manage to level quickly. On the other hand, if you just play the game the way you want (beacause reasons) instead of focusing on the fastest way to get xp and convert them into skills, the levelling is on the slow side imho.

Would be nice ot have more granular levelling in crafting, especially in player equipment, making items with better durability the more of them you would make or something like that, but there wil lalways be some people who will grind and grind and grind and others who do not play that much and it is hard to achieve balance between them.

14. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

<---- Wants at least 3 more toons. thats 3 times more stuff, think about it a second.

Time Lord and Tahru like this.
  15. CampersCrispin

CampersCrispin Avatar

People maxing out their skills after a few days is definitely worrying. Perhaps some newly released themepark mmorpgs people race to max level within days, but this shouldn't be your standard mmorpg. I expected things to be A LOT slower. Incredibly disappointing. It doesn't really affect me at the moment per say, but I'm afraid it makes people leave faster because nothing to do.

16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

17. Vestal Alacrast

Vestal Alacrast Avatar

Maxing a single skill 2 weeks after release should be something normal. Some skills are easy to max, while others take more time due to either resource availability or other factors.

Now seriously has anyone actually GMed a skill?

Time Lord and Fauxpas like this.
  18. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

its not worrying, not at all...?

those people are playing this game for 2+ years and know their ways. why shouldnt knowledge give them an advantage?... we're not talking WoW here where any casual gamer can reach everything anywhen. theres things to do for all, most for most and some for just a few. put in the time and dont whine. put in the risk and dont whine losing stuff.

people like to reference uo for this game. lets remember that you could even gm resistance in a few hours given the resources. seriously, its fine as it is in most aspects. yes granted its no game, that tells you what to do next. back then people didnt really care about maxing whatever skill... and they were not reliant on someone making their game. just enjoy the ride and dont complain about everything you dont know. UO had no quest system at all.

if you feel theres not much to be done after you maxing your skills (like in wow), its not the game to be blamed. you should just widen your horizon.

[edit] most of this whining sounds alot like "i wanna discover physics but i dont want this archimedes bastard to be ahead of me".

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Ogarious

Ogarious Avatar

I disagree, in a way. While you should be able to learn to make anything fairly quickly. Mastering it and making beautiful and powerful items should take a long time.
    So what if you can make a longsword, can you make a +5 longsword of quickness? THIS is what crafting should be about.
    Sure you can make plate mail, even a full set for people after a bit of time with it. But so can everybody else. The person who's worked most on making plate mail and can make a full set of armor that helps regenerate mana in battle would be the person to seek out, dont you think?

Stevvcash, Numa, lordarach and 3 others like this.
  20. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

The change to requiring 40 points in tier 3 seems adequate to me to slow things down.

No reason that those who wish to specialize in a tree should be penalized more than those who want to be jacks of all trades and invest in many lower level skills in many trees, IMHO.

Its not as if the skills farther down the tree really are *that* much more powerful / better.

Time Lord, Ice Queen and Tahru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.