MMORPG: SotA Review In Progress, Part 1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Aug 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gix

Gix Avatar

Not really. At least, I can't blame them if they're surprised. Screenshots and videos can only give hints as to how the UI is going to function.

Here are three examples of this phenomenon:
    1. Final Fantasy 14. The UI looks like a total mess but when you're actually playing it, a lot of it seem to "disappear" from your field of view. It's the best (least intrusive) non-sterile/non-minimalistic UI I've ever used.
    2. No Man's Sky. The spaceship has some sort of automated pilot preventing you from crashing your ship. Sound good on paper, super awkward in practice as it'll often flip your ship upside down; your input feels like mere "suggestions". Activating menus on the PC version requires you to press-n-hold the mouse button instead of a simple click.
    3. Shroud of the Avatar. Ever accidentally opened your recipe book or skill window while trying to type in chat? It happens to me ALL. THE. TIME. That's because the logic that determines when the game is focused on the chat window is flawed. The input lag doesn't help either.
    As for graphics, I'd agree with you to a certain extent. There are cases where character animations will feel "off" based on the circumstances of your input. Example:
    1. Dark Souls. If you watch someone play the game, you won't feel the commitment to his/her attack animations. If he/she dies, you'll just assume the person didn't block. While, in fact, that person may have been spamming the block or dodge button relentlessly. The game doesn't register new input until the combat animations are done.
    2. Monster Hunter. Very similar to Dark Souls except, this time, the game queues up some of your attacks. Meaning your commitment to your attacks can be longer than anticipated.
    3. Diablo 1. Screenshots and videos won't tell you that getting hit completely interrupts you. It feels really jerky when it happens.
    The idea to "Learn to play the game" is true so long as the game does some distance of its own.

That not really the critic's job, though. "This is what I like and this is what I don't like. Is it worth it? Y/N".

I don't necessarily like it either but that's how it is for almost all other media format. The reason for that is that there's no point in worrying about what might've been. Finding the solution(s) is the creator's job.

I don't really find any value in any reviews, honestly... except that, right now, I'm using all of these comments to make a point: This is a niche game and a good portion of this niche market currently finds it awkward to play.

I want this game to succeed but I honestly won't be surprised if it tanks. I wouldn't be here if I didn't care.

mercster, Willard, 4EverLost and 2 others like this.
  2. ricoxg

ricoxg Avatar

Touché. =)

Gix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.