Skill System wtfudge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I dont undstand why its so easy and unrewarding to do stuff in this game.edit (unrewarding from the stand point of moving from copper to iron to gold, as it stands u can skip to gold).

In uo (ya ya) you had no chance of mining anything beyond your skill and you were activily advancing just so you could work with the cool stuff. It took a very long time to even get to work with gold and the higher metals.

Here you grab your prosperity pick find a safe gold mining area and boom ur in the high 80s never even needing to touch copper or iron metals.

Why even have a skill system at all if it means nothing?

Taming and all other crafts have similar issues, i can buy 50 taming colars find an obsidian wolf that would rather run from me and tame till im in the 70s. People were taming and selling the hardest beasts in the game with in 4 or 5 days. In uo it took 6 months or longer depending on your dedication.

Is this game just designed to be super easy or am I missing something? Not from a skill gain persepective as much more to access gold ore with no skill and to tame(level taming) obsidians with a zero skills requirement.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

You're just really good.

3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea lol, i dont think so. But thanks ;)

The good people were the ones with super high taming in the first 5 days after wipe.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  4. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Too much Second Life, not enough MMO.

5. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

You're missing something. Mainly that you can only "skill up" really fast if you have the banked experience of the appropriate type.

Commenting just on the adventuring/taming side:
    No one was selling the hardest beasts in the game in 4-5 days.
    You had certain (crazy) people working their asses off and missing sleep, for weeks since final wipe, to have tamed pets available to others at a fast rate so that everyone could advance quickly.
    The ferocious red spiders? That's ~8-9 million experience that certain crazy people ground out to be able to tame them, ignoring all the farming for silver ore, wood for whistles, and the hours spent crafting.

Anastasia was the world first tamer to have the ferocious red spiders after final wipe, and it was really well deserved on her part. She booked 12+ hours most days I saw her on, and she worked her tail off. I was behind her by a day because i'm a solo player and didn't have that guild support, and i know one other tamer in our competition got there between me and her.

That's 3 people, out of everyone playing, who did nothing but devote their entire long existence to pursuing these beasties.

And those aren't even the final beast. That's only at 119 skill. Getting to 150 or 200 skill to get the -real- endgame stuff will take billions of experience by current calculation.

The game doesn't stop at GM, that's where it just starts, kind of like getting a blackbelt in martial arts. It doesn't mean you're perfect, it means you're competent at the basics. :)

Kaisa, Thwip, Katrina Bekers and 5 others like this.
  6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Mining is a pool generator, so it generates its own exp pool. You can turn off survey for faster gaines but my statement is still true.

As far as tamin goes I know for a fact u can hit 70 taming in a couple days its not difficult. When 70 woulfa taken u months in uo.

Skipping copper,iron and silver and starting out on gold dont seam odd to anyone?

Lord Baldrith and 4EverLost like this.
  7. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

You're right.
    But 70 isn't an achievement on here either.
    100 skill isn't end-game, it's not even really mid-game. It's post early-game.
    Skillgain is exponential.

0-100 is roughly 1.5 million exp for an "easy" skill. 0-200, at rough calcs, is 20 billion for easy skills?

from 0-70, takes 1/2 the time as 0-80, and 1/4th the time of 0-90, and 1/8th the time of 0-100, and 1/32nd the time from 0-120.
    Those ferocious red spiders? They're 119 tos tart, and 130 to be "not ****" at.

This game has a weird progression system that takes some getting used to, where 70 isn't near the end, it's just after the start.

8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Well when i can tame obsidian wolves at 84 ish with fails ofcource thats more of a starter pet then?

And gold ore is a begining ore? Because u can do that with 0 skill.

Or well mabey @PrimeRib I truley am exceptional.

Lord Baldrith and 4EverLost like this.
  9. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I'm at around 80 in mining and 70-60 in Swift and Meticulous, even with Survey turned off I lose experience mining if the other three are turned on. Not sure that there's anything I can mine currently that would make it worth my while going higher, but I expect going from where I am to Grandmaster would take longer than getting to where I am now.

10. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

I know you're being sarcastic, but honestly, yeah, you're right.
    Obsidian wolfs & large red spiders, are the basic "starter" pet for the transition away from early game.
    That's why large reds sell for 5k and are basic gear on most people. cheaper than they pay for their first real primary weapon upgrade.

You do your quests from 0-25, grab a large red, and start the early game post-quests then.

Don't get me wrong, you sound like you're probably in the 50s-60s adventure level, which is still exceptional and higher than average (which seems to be around mid 40s right now). And powergamers will always have a skewed view of things.

70s-80s in skills is the end of "starting game" for most people. Adventurer level 50 or so.
    100 is the end of early game. Adventurer level 65 or so.
    125 in one skill is the start of mid game. Adventurer level 75 or so.
    And it slows down exponentially at each of those steps

And yes gold ore is a tier 1 material.
    Gathering skills are the "start", refining skills are the higher ups. Multi-step refinements come into play here.

Senjut, Thwip and FrostII like this.
  11. Darkmelons

Darkmelons Avatar

This is, "Shroud of the Avatar", not UO.

Dariog and FrostII like this.
  12. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Before making judgement about the ability to mine any ores, I suggest you explore the crafting that involve with ores as ingredients. Try craft all of them and you will see why the way the ore works in this game is different from UO.

FrostII likes this.
  13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Oh thanks for that I wasnt sure..

Darkmelons likes this.
  14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Sure was not talking about the crafting system only the skill system.

I like the crafting system.
    I love usebased akill system, just think its on the easy side.

15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Turn off everthing but mining and see what happens.

16. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Grats to all three of you. That's a great accomplishment.
    I'm working my taming skills for the first time this release in preparation for R33 taming changes. (yeah no more 1 points skill to wield a ferrious red spider)
    Just the massive determination it takes just to pool millions of xp, watching all other skills lag behind, just to blow the entire pool in a few minutes of taming is really hard core.

Thwip likes this.
  17. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

You're suggesting that mining is putting XP into other crafting skills? I'll try it tonight and let you know.

18. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Have you killed the red dragon with 14k hitpoints yet? Go kill that. It shouldn't be too easy.

Dariog likes this.
  19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

My mining point is the ability to raise mining to be able to work with the other metals, you guys have taken my point and chaged it to difrent things.

I feel and these arnt exact but iron should require more skill to mine than copper and gold more than either. But as it stands u can start off in gold, and its super easy to raise mining and other skills.

I hope that simplifies it a bit.

20. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Again nothing to do with my post, it would nice to have a serious discussion but I see its impossible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.