Using PVP to create regional economies?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by danjacobsmith, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

There has been discussion lately on no single player in pvp areas. Any new info on that?

KuBaTRiZeS, Time Lord and Audacity like this.
  2. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

The reality is that Control Points are not PVP areas. You can theory craft reasons on how to make them more meaningful, or a PVP mode in an alternate instance reality, but it's still not going to change the current mode that Control Points are PVE zones.

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Well they could. I was just building on the OP's idea. Nothing is set in stone. I feel that if there is no meaninful pvp this game is gonna tank. I happen to like this idea as it would give a reason for meaningful pvp. I understand that pve people do not like the idea.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

It don't consider this pop big at all. It's the majority now because most other playstyles have been chased out.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Taking in consideration PVP will never be more than an "optional feature" here, IMO The only thing we need for PVP is things that make sense.
    • The Oracle is actually protecting Avatars from "something else" (not only other avatars). By removing protection (voluntarily flagging) the Avatars are risking their lives to fight that "something else". (details of the relationship between the Oracle and that Something else doesn't actually matter as long as they exist, just plot relevant).
    • That fight may involve some kind of "special role" or "special price" that chosen ones may seek, being all that part of the scheme. That could Justify PVP flagged players fighting against each other in certain terms.
    • That "Something else" doesn't want avatars to stop him and encourages other avatars to fight against them. "Something else" will reward you for each PVP flagged avatar that you kill but you'll be cursed by the Oracle in doing so (pretty much the PK state in UO.
    I think that just with that three points you can deploy a whole world PVP scenario with two factions that doesn't involve PVE players because they chose not to participate; everything happens above them (unless they succumb to the temptation of killing flagged avatars, then being cursed by the Oracle).

We could endlessly about what it could or couldn't have been, but if we really want a meaningful PVP we should acknowledge what actually is, and start working from there. That's why i don't see the OP happening and i'm reluctant to elaborate on it... I prefer to consider other solutions that doesn't force any kind of behavior into PVE players (the main concern of the bunch).

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

They could just make it open PvP world for everyone. BOOM problem solved, you now have an economy due to full looting rights, and the pvpers are happy. Also now there are actual reasons to be in a guild.

I enjoy pvp,pve and rp something SOTA lacks entirely at the moment. But yet im still grinding away daily.

7. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

If you had to pay a fee to enter OR go around the choke point with the choke point being a pvp area, I would be OK with it. This would assure that the fee to get around or into would be shared by everyone. However the fees paid here should not be taken from the economy as taxes are. Perhaps the fees could purchase something of value for everyone.

8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I have zero plans to ever PAY a PvP'r (player or guild) to avoid PvP.
    If Portalarium takes us there..... I'd be done.

I have no problems with anyone who wants to PvP, but Port best not try and force me to pay them in order to avoid them.

In my mind, that's extortion - and certainly not what I signed up for.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Go ahead and implement features that force people to PvP or have to pay to avoid it and watch how fast the population dries up (including the money that funds development).

10. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I would like to see a faction system, in which PVE and PVP players can contribute to their faction. Kinda like Chaos and Order it could be Oracle and Obsidian or something else. But I totally agree that we need some kind of explanation in the lore for conflict between players. That is a major part IMHO of the longevity of the game. It could also weave guilds into that system, and guild warfare + alliances.

Clearly the risk vs reward problem kinda makes the world un-immersive and feel without life for people that are not heavy into imagining things aka roleplay. Evil is completely missing currently.

It is also clear that we need this kind of stuff. If you don't want to partake in it that is fine. But if you feel you are kinda entitled to get everything in the game without having a challenge, your are ruining the game for everyone else. Kinda like the "toxic trolls" which are long gone, that were fighting for a more Siege Perilous like experience.

I think the only PVPers left here are kinda moderate... but still you might manage to even get them extinct.
    Then you can handhold in your RP castles and Portalarium can make another game,
    since it's all in your imagination after all.

Portalarium seriously needs to embrace other playstyles as well. I am confident they will, because the commercial success depends on it. They are just so damn nebulous about it, that it makes it kinda hard for anyone to recommend it to friends or other MMO players, with a more "competitive" attitude or ppl that grave a sandbox - because it isn't a true sandbox currently as all player interaction are pointless.

Thinking the current population is ensuring the games success is making me laugh. Not creating a challenge will kill the game. You won't be forced to PVP,
    but if you want the best stuff , taking a risk might get you there quicker.

It is clear that a huge chunk of the funding came from people believing in an UO2. Denying that is just denying reality. Denying the bad reviews and belittling them will end bad for the game.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  11. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

Ditto. Charging me extra or "creating a gold sink" to avoid a PvP area that connects to another non-PvP area is just penalizing me for not wanting anything to do with PvP. You might not be 'forcing' me to PvP but you're certainly making me have to run through it if I'm low on gold or just don't want to pay something extra PvPers don't.

Womby, FrostII and Whyterose Flowers like this.
  12. Ogarious

Ogarious Avatar

Hooch is crazy man!! I know, I know, wrong episode. But I do love me some scrubs.... As for the OP and TOH, not a PVPer, so do whatever you guys think is best. I trust ya.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  13. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

Honestly, you could substitute PvP with a lot of things that people swear will tank this game unless it's changed.

Edit: The OP himself, selective multiplayer has to go to 'save' the game.

14. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Anything that starts out with "using PvP" and forces interaction with normal play to PvP with players who are not flagged PvP will get no where, and the "you can pay to go around" is not an answer. Players can not be forced to PvP for any reason this has been said over and over, and will not happen.

Now if for some reason it ever does happen there are at least 50% of the players who will just walk away, and the team knows this also.

Womby, FrostII, KuBaTRiZeS and 2 others like this.
  15. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

+1

FrostII likes this.
  16. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Just learn from Star Wars Galaxies pre NGE. That's how consentual PVP is done and you still end up with an immersive world.

Besides this NO PVP or I quit argument is kinda dumb. Lot of people have already quit and will quit as well if there will be no changes. If you don't like the play-style don't do it. But don't spoil it for others. If you can't do that and leave let me know, I'll pay Port the double of your pledge.

17. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Thing is 50% already walked away ^^

18. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

No no and no, I currently will not pay 1500 gold to pass through an area and I will not continue playing the game if PvP is forced. I know selling my pledge now would be at a loss but I would not keep playing.

Duke Zymurgy, Womby, Aldo and 2 others like this.
  19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Strawmen everywhere. Pvp will be consensual people. There will be ways around this if implemented. The sky is not falling. Quit trying to guess what people will do and just state what you would do.

20. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

You're generalizing. This post was about making control points PvP only. How exactly is Port 'making you all extinct'? PvP will be in the game. Is it just because it won't be the PvP you're after so the whole game is doomed? Not to mention, your post loses steam when you extol the virtues of PvPing and then insult RPers while trying to say embrace other playstyles. What kind of game are you looking for exactly? I'm mainly PvE. I don't have an issue with other styles of play. But why (over many, many games) do PvPers feel the need to try to include us somehow anyway, even though we have zero interest in it. You like it, I don't, at all. Why do we need mechanics to 'avoid' PvP when we simply should be able to by just playing normally. Trust me, I'm not missing out on anything by not having the 'danger' factor. Everyone likes different stuff, period.

TL;DR: When PvP exists in a game, why does it seem PvPers aren't satisfied fighting just other PvPers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.