Multiple town entrances, please!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VZ_, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

If just the game could remember the last exit used, and then use it when you re-enter, will help a lot home owners that (90% of us) aren't not on the main path of the default entry point.

2. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

Potentially. I'm not saying make them random or even permanent change. but for those who run into town and need something by a different entrance can choose to do so. main entrance is still main entrance by default. This does not increase permanent traffic so much as a QOL fix for those living in different parts of town or using the crafting pavilion that isn't by the entrance. helps with lag as well. This doesn't impact prime spot vendors as much as people visiting towns to shop or bank have no reason to not use main entrance, again, this is mainly helpful for the house-less looking to save time running to their desired NPC spot of choice and those who live in various parts of town not in front of main entrance.

I like the idea of entering from the same road you used to leave as well

3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

smack, Time Lord, Tahru and 1 other person like this.
  4. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Check out this tweet:

https://twitter.com/RichardGarriott/status/765692815649177601

[​IMG]

Heyoooooooooo.

Mac R, Baalice, strabo and 13 others like this.
  5. Fain

Fain Avatar

This is a terrible reason. I'm sorry, but penalizing all players to force people to run past a vendor? No. Just no.

Baalice, strabo, Quenton and 9 others like this.
  6. Acaelus Fireharp

Acaelus Fireharp Avatar

This is a great idea, it would be especially welcome in Britanny.
    Also since all of Brittany's previous exit gates now seem to go to areas like Britanny Estates or Britanny Alleys, providing an option on Brittany gates might not be a bad idea. Eg, Novia / Brittany Alleys / Brittany Estates.

7. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

Enabling multiple scene entrance points would be a great idea and solve the issue for some people where they have to run for upwards of 2 minutes to reach their lot.

8. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

What would be nice is once you find all the exit points...which get marked on your compass anyways..you can enter or exit from any of them. Why bother telling you where its at if you cant get back in that way. I think if you enter a town/scene/pot or whatever from the north..you should come into that scene from the north and so on. Since all scenes have north south east and west exits....there should be the same for entrances. Navigationally it just makes sense to me.....if i drive into the subdivision from the south and exit the north...turn around i should be able to enter from the north and exit the south again. See what i mean. Basically if there is only one entrance...there should only be one exit. Simple enough.

9. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

Rather than making it a clicky button listing all the entrances, just have the world map figure out which side of town you entered on. Then you just walk into town, that way entrances connected to the main roads see lots of traffic, but those who know the backway closer to their house can use the shortcuts.

10. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Basically, depending on the town scene, anywhere from 50 to 80% of the player vendors aren't seen, because the players are in lots that aren't on main thorough fares. If someplace like Brittany Fields, or Etcetera, has 3-4 exits out to the world, why should those exits not also be entrances? It's something that's easy to code. And having to discover them first before they're usable is an EXCELLENT idea. It promotes exploring the towns.

I literally got the last Village lot in Brittany Fields; it's not too bad for me (not too far from the bank, not too far from the crafting pavilion, not too far from the trainers/NPC's)...but for merchanting, it's horrible: it's on the side of a cliff, it has huge apple trees all around it. But if player's could choose their entrances, I'm in the middle between two exits, so I would have at least a little traffic coming my way.

And I'm sure there are hundreds of other people in the same boat: "Yay, I spent $500+ for a Commission Free Vendor that might get used once a week/month. H'ray."
    Yes, catering to the hundred or so people that dropped thousands on the game is one thing. But ignoring the concerns of thousands of others that spent a good deal of money as well...not a wise business decision.

11. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

I know little about game code and what would be involved to have the game "remember" which entrance/exit I last used, or to change the part of the game that would be able to tell which side of the Town I am on while approaching on the Overland map -- but it "seems" that the simplest thing would be to have a drop-down menu when I click on the "Enter" button as I approach a Town that gives me the option for North/South/East/West Entrance.

This would be a very welcomed feature in my opinion, since I currently can choose to go to whichever exit I want to use from the Town, then why can I not do the same when entering?

Quenton, Maeryck, Krohon and 2 others like this.
  12. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Multiple entrance points, please!

13. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I agree with OP. On the overland, entry from south to north would bring you in the south gate for example. Entry from east to west would bring you into east gate. I sympathize with those who worked hard to locate near an entrance, but towns are dying (including pots) when people visit and enter from a gate that is half a world from town center. I just do not go there and if I see the town center a two minute walk ahead. I never return actually.

smack, postulio, Krohon and 3 others like this.
  14. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Actually Brittany was set up this way, though few knew a few releases back. You could go to the four corners of the keep walls on the overland to go into different gates.

Krohon and Time Lord like this.
  15. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

I have no idea if any options are in store for the NPC towns but I thought that the POT owners were going to be offered a tool so they could pick which, of 4-5 possibilities, they wanted to use as the primary entrance to their town. I believe this is still in the plan. Is it not, @DarkStarr?

Krohon and Time Lord like this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek:~"This Idea is Very Time Lord Approved"~;)!'
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Aldo likes this.
  17. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

I'm all for multiple entrances. For the sake of the game itself, the two minute run to the center of towns will kill all commerce and traffic.

A hay wagon or steampunk carriage to the center of town would be good.

Time Lord, postulio and Krohon like this.
  18. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

Yes.

19. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

I'm happy to see such positive response, I do hope this gets implemented as a Quality of Life tweak, as besides the economic benefit to some, it really is a complete chore to get into some towns.

As for the enter from the world map get placed at that location in the town idea, it's a good one as well, I'm just thinking some towns have multiple entrance on a single side so that wouldn't really work for them (Thinking of Aerie specifically)

20. The_Wight

The_Wight Avatar

Multiple entrances sounds like a nice idea to me, but it could be hard to implement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.