Equipment as decorations

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by lucasjung, Aug 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucasjung

lucasjung Avatar

As I pointed out in another thread recently, many backers have far more equipment from rewards than they can reasonably use, so much of it just languishes in banks. In that other thread, I already proposed one idea to get at least some use out of all of that stuff, and here's another idea: establish ways for players to decorate their homes with equipment (other than just leaving it lying around on the floor).

What I'd like is a selection of special containers which can be used to showcase equipment:
    • Wall-mounted racks to hold weapons and/or shields, either alone or in combination (e.g. a shield behind two crossed swords)
    • A mannequin which can be "dressed" in armor or other clothing. In the case of plate armor, the end result would look like a suit of armor on display, with no part of the mannequin left visible.
    • Stands for holding weapons horizontally, to be placed on a shelf or table (along the lines of the stands often used for Japanese swords)
    • Racks for holding weapons vertically
    Some of this already exists in the game, but I haven't been able to find any for sale, nor have I been able to find recipes for crafting them. For example, there is a rack of vertical weapons in the intro scene at Solace Bridge, from which the player is directed to take a weapon. Likewise, there are a shield and swords hanging on the wall inside the house in that same scene, which the player can take down from the wall and use. That last one made me think that any weapon or shield could simply be placed on a wall, but I tried it in my house and it didn't work.

Allowing players to place equipment on display as decorations would let us enjoy more of the rewards we paid for, even if we're only enjoying them for their looks. Also, players who craft items to sell through their vendors could put some examples of their work on display, just as real-life stores put wares in their windows.

2. Lained

Lained Avatar

As I recall the issue with displaying armour is that they need to create a new version of each item as the avatar's hands, feet etc. are a part of the models.

Ember and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  3. lucasjung

lucasjung Avatar

I wasn't aware of that. I could see how that would make a lot of work if we wanted to display individual pieces of armor, but a mannequin could serve the same role as an avatar as part of the model. I'm sure it would take some work, but given the options and variability in avatars, I would imagine that adding a mannequin to the array of body shapes would be plausible.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. Lained

Lained Avatar

When it was asked in the hangout the idea wasn't dismissed just something that would require work so something for a future release.

5. Ember

Ember Avatar

+1

Maybe someday they'll have the 3D modeling manpower to make this happen! :3 Although with an armor stand, maybe they could use a burlap sack skinned avatar with a 2x4 strapped to its back or something? lololol :p

lucasjung likes this.
  6. KnownInGameAsGeorge

KnownInGameAsGeorge Avatar

Was about to ask something similar, but instead bumping this post.

I would love a mannequin that would turn into a copy of me like a clone when I clicked it, then took my items and stored them like a chest. If it was already set up and had items stored, they would transfer into my equipment slots.

While it would be useful for displaying, I would also like a way to put aside weapon and armor combos for fighting certain creature types. I could use my vs fire set when fighting fire elementals, and swap to a vs death set when i go to hunt liches.

lucasjung likes this.
  7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

In R39 we got the first stage which is being able to place music instruments. In R40 you will be able to place wep's. Armor is unknown at this time since it involves a lot of hard core work to make them happen but they said they would do it.

CrandalltheFirst and lucasjung like this.
  8. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

The issue with what you are asking for basically all comes down to coding and redesign. It's not possible for a piece of armor.let's say a chest for example,to be used as a display without it being totally redone as it is currently as a piece of armor that you wear.
    Now imagine if you will all the possible chest pieces that are available in the store or can be crafted. Then,more specifically,think about all the color combinations of dyes. Will the development team go as far to display dyes,or will it be of a armor type only? I don't think anyone knows that answer yet.
    But when you think about all the combinations of every piece of armor and all that has to be redone just to be displayed,the amount of work is staggering to even think of. My personal opinion is you will never see this until well after the official release,there is too much to do before then to take up time with redoing every piece of possible armor just so it can be displayed.

9. KnownInGameAsGeorge

KnownInGameAsGeorge Avatar

Not sure you understood what I was suggesting.
    Clone already makes a copy that looks identical to me, it would only have to stand still at a marked location. There is no need for any new furniture accept a marker for where I want the clone to stand.

lucasjung and CrandalltheFirst like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.