Let's Talk About.. Rare Drops.

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Grave Dragon, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

One of the biggest complaints Ive heard from players who have played other mmos in the past is that they miss the opportunity to receive a rare drop off a specific type of mob on a %chance basis or just that the loot tables are very bland.

I understand that we have a player economy, but there isn't any reason we can't create some no vendor value collectables that drop rarely off mobs.

The intention of this thread is to list ideas that we could put in to enhance the adventuring experience and provide players with some hunting incentives other than experience.

Rules:
    1. It can't be an item with bonus stats better than craftables. Keep your ideas player economy appropriate.
    2. It can't be something that will effect Portalarium revenue, so no lot deeds, houses or existing add-ons.
    3. It can't be anything that violates any kind of copyright laws, so no UO items.
    4. It has to be something that has value to all players or no value to any players. (Home deco still holds value if rare, but limit those suggestions)
    5. Try to list the mob type the item would drop off of, it should be appropriate that the mob would/could carry it.

Go!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  2. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

My rare drop list.

1. Health and Focus potions off T3+ undead, demons, trolls etc. 1 out of 10 drop rate.

2. Dragon Teeth off Dragon's. 1 Per Dragon. 10, 25, 50 and 100 teeth can be used to craft different types of Dragon Tooth Jewelery.

3. Dragon Scales off Dragon's. 1 Per Dragon. Used to make scale armor.

4. Venison Steaks off Deer. 25% drop rate, because it makes sense. Used for cooking.

5. Coffee beans off Shandy Chapman if you're willing to take the karma hit.100% drop rate. I mean, it's coffee and that cheapskate stopped selling teleport scrolls.

6. Chaos symbol necklaces off Demons. <1% drop rate. Only decorative like the silver serpent necklace.

7. Reagents off Skeletal, Kobold and Elven Mages. 100% Drop rate, 5 random Reagents per Kill.

8. White Bear and Wolf heads off Polar Bears and White wolves in snowy scenes. Same drop rare as existing heads off existing bears.

9. Chunks of coal off Obsidian Gollums. 75% drop rare. 3-5 chunks per drop.

10. Wearable sashes off bandits. <1% chance.

11. Bear skins off bears. White, Brown and Black. 3% drop rate. For use in crafting Bear Rugs.

3. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    Some deco items as rare drops would be great really great

4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I like the Dragon scale idea BUT only if we can have the AWESOME Dragon armor of Ultima IX! @RichardGarriott @DarkStarr

Pictures from my UO freeshard Brtiannia (before the jelly of others that banned my freeshard from being on the official program that dynically changed your client files to go to different freeshards - thus killing people from finding my freeshard. They claimed the reason was Britannia was an official UO shard name - which it never was. Britannia is the land mass not the name of any UO or OSI shard.)
    http://www.mac512.com/ultima/britannia/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT - changed embarrassing typos from my phone post.

5. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

The cool thing about ingredient drops is it doesn't just expand the loot table, it supports one of the major focal points of the game, player economy.

I'd like to request if scale armor is introduced, we assign @Skullmuncher34 who provided all the updated versions of our current in-game armor and @Qball who worked on both our Dragon and Demon models; just because I think those two working together on Dragonscale Armor would produce something absolutely EPIC.

-Grave

6. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

I honestly think that putting in rare drops would be a great idea as well. It is a tricky balance you have to have to accomplish this but would give more incentive to adventure to different scenes in hopes of more/different rare drops. Perhaps certain types or rare drops can only be dropped by mobs in a particular area of the map therefore increase the exploration of different zones and traffic to some of the less frequented areas.

I also think that rare deco items that spawn randomly in locations would be a great idea. If it were not known where they were actually going to spawn at any given time or when it would create some fun questing and ultimately increase the "collectors" market in the game. This may be looked at as infringing on the addon-store, but those items are not "rare" they are just paid for and anyone can have them if they pay. This gives people who may not have money to pay, a chance at having something rare without having to come out of pocket every time.

Aimend, Stevvcash, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  7. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    That is the thing, to acquire a rare drop will make you smile for the rest of the day, however to buy the same item in stores will not be the same as it is to easy and will not be classified as rare.

8. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

We want the rares!! Gotta have those rares! Oh we want the rares! Gotta have those rares!! :D

Ice Queen, Budner and | Grave | like this.
  9. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I agree with the general sentiment that rare drops can be better than crafted because they are in fact a component of something crafted. So my "rare" animal hide just makes better leather armor.

Or perhaps it unlocks some quest to otherwise help in reach it's full potential.

Budner, Cordelayne and | Grave | like this.
  10. Stevvcash

Stevvcash Avatar

Rare environmental deco that has various spawn timers ie 6 hours - 1 month. Bonus if you make it so you need the pick pocket skill to pick them up.

Also rare crafting materials from mob drops.

| Grave | likes this.
  11. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

I'm with everyone else here, and wouldn't mind some rare drops. Nothing game-breaking, mind you, just something that isn't rusty/shoddy/etc. But, for one item I would love to see, are heads from various high level mobs. Dragons, Obsidian, etc. With said heads, you (or someone that does crafting) could make a plaque of some sort, combine with the head, and ta-da, you have a mounted dragon head for your home!!

Aimend, | Grave | and Lord Baldrith like this.
  12. Death Avenger

Death Avenger Avatar

+1. I think that being able to have something rare drop which then has a spawn count down timer in addition to the low chance is a great idea.

| Grave | likes this.
  13. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Fun costumes.

This girl could really use a skirt that isn't a kilt (not that there is anything wrong with kitls <3 )

| Grave | and Ice Queen like this.
  14. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Recipe Drops
    1. food- special food recipes for regens such as focus and health that give slight more bonuses that store bought recipes
    2. armor- different armor skins
    3. weapons- different weapon skins
    4. furniture- different themed furniture skins and decorations
    5. potions- has effects such as turns you into an elf or kobold for 30 mins
    6. drops that could be used for other forms of currency, such as the pyreal motes, dark specks, dark slivers, dark shards, we had in Asheron's Call that were used for crafting special equipment and quests.
    7. holiday recipe drops from creatures during the holiday months...clothing, food, armor, weapons etc.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  15. Thunderchunk

Thunderchunk Avatar

I honestly couldn't agree more. Who here is UO alumni?

Now please keep in full consideration that I understand they said that the best gear would be player crafted. I totally get that.

But I think that monsters should drop items and gear with random stats on them like they used to in UO. It actually made farming fun. You never knew when you could possibly get a good item.

Now keep in mind, I used to hunt Serpentine Dragons for hours on end and would only usually come out with maybe 1-2 items that were sell able. Now these drops could just be base items that could be further enchanted by Crafters in the game.

this way instead of just farming XP. You could get excited about every kill you made, knowing there is a chance you could get a good-great item instead of the same Bow or the same sword off every mob.

Ice Queen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.