Changes to Combat

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Allistaire, Aug 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allistaire

Allistaire Avatar

Just a few suggestions to improve combat in the game, mainly the auto-attack skill:

1. Make auto-attack only trigger with a double click on a target instead of being this early warning detect system that shoots anything in sight (coming from a bow user). A single click on a target selects it. A double click starts the auto-attack. From what I've been told from a stealth player, this would solve pick-pockets being auto targeted by people sitting in combat mode. It also removes the ridiculous critter killing just moving thru the landscape. A tap of the ESC key stops the attack, or sheathing your weapon.

2. For 'free-attack' players, the above is also true except that you can hold down the left mouse button to queue up an attack to initiate combat, or during auto-attacking queue up a timed bigger hit. This allows free attack players to benefit from white damage while still letting them control timed hits. It also is easier to micro manage when a player doesn't have to spam left click for white damage.

3. In regards to PvP zones, please make it so players being hit in combat cannot zone immediately. Perhaps something like a direct damage timer of 6-10 seconds prevents leaving the zone (DoTs ignored). Nothing was more irritating in games like Anarchy Online where people used to camp zone lines and PvP in relative safety. With a small timer, this allows defending players to use things like CC (roots, stuns, mezzes) to slow down an attacker/s and make for the exit and leave without making it too easy.

4. I propose that fire arrow spell be made a insta-cast spell since the fire tree seems more like melee support and would give melee players a spell that can be cast on the move and keep DPS on their targets while they try to run. There is no way as a melee player that I am going to try and chase down a player and then stop to cast anything with a timer... just not smart PvP tactics. This change would keep a small amount of damage on the target and the DoT might help interrupt some casting like heals.

5. For STR based players, please add in Crossbows that work off STR bonuses. Obviously they would need balancing since the point of melee is big damage and CC point blank but having to deal with gap closing (which Crossbows would counter). But still, they would be a nice alternate deck for melees to weave into their builds.

6. Buff durations. Please make them longer at the lowest level, say 5-10 mins. and scale up duration from there. A prepared player shouldn't have to worry about a buff dropping in the middle of a fight especially for PvP. Make them long enough to be reliable but not so long to reward lazy players.

TY for your consideration.

Dalai Lama

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    GreyMouser Skye, Abydos and Pluvius like this.
  2. Trome

Trome Avatar

Some very nice point here i like that

Abydos likes this.
  3. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

GOTCHA !!!!!!!

Great Work ! Huge THNAKS for your interesting comments.

@Chris @DarkStarr @Lord British2 this guy has some very good ideas for solving problems related to combat.

4. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

One point I would ask about. I like a strength bonus for a crossbow, but not for damage as the draw length is always the same. However, strength can allow faster loading thereby upping DPS in that way. Strength can also allow stronger bows.
    Thoughts?

Abydos likes this.
  5. Allistaire

Allistaire Avatar

Well, in alot of games crossbows tend to have shorter range, slower attack speeds than bow but hit harder. I think you could use the same bow tree and just modify attack speed of auto-atack by 50%, white damage by 2X, range decreased by 40% (for all skills and auto-attack). So the outcome is a slow firing weapon that hits hard. Gives more time for opponents to ready themselves for the hits with CC or healing but except it to hurt when they land. This would give melee an alternate deck to DPS on the move. Long bows still have the advantage to kite with their range and superior attack speed but its 1 more tool for STR based characters or hybrids.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  6. Aord

Aord Avatar

Fully supporting this. At least give us an option to toggle "one-click targeting". As a mage, I hate enabling free attack mode just to make sure my autoattack stays off every time I target some mob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.