What should I use my glass sword for?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Raxhelm, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

From my kick-starter pledge I got a glass sword which is suppose to kill almost anything (LB is one of the expectations supposedly). I wonder what others have used their glass sword on or are thinking of using it on? Do you get the XP if you use the glass sword?

Currently I am thinking of using it on a demon I found with more than 12000 HP (Tharsis Vrul) but maybe a dragon is better. I have not met a dragon since R31 and I don't remember how much HP they have since it killed me in one hit.

Rilman and DancingShade like this.
  2. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

During wipe times I heard that people used two to almost get down a troll (I'm guessing it was the boss kind) I forgot to try mine tho and now I don't want to lose it :(

Rilman, Kara Brae and DancingShade like this.
  3. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

Wait, are you saying that the glass sword just does a lot of damage? I thought it was binary either it killed in one hit (in most cases) or it did nothing at all (rare exceptions). That would be a huge disappointment if I hit the demon and it did 6000 HP damage and then I still had to the other 6000 HP myself (which I cannot do). The result would be a useless broken glass sword and my death.

DancingShade likes this.
  4. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

This is only how I understood it as I don't have any testing done my self but atleast I move th thread up so someone with more experience can tell you :p

5. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

I'm saving my glass sword for when we can use gear as deco, then mounting it ;)

6. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Does it work in PvP?

Raxhelm likes this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Yes... It's a Crystal Sword... And it works... Once.

DancingShade likes this.
  8. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

You mean it kills everything that is vulnerable to it in one hit or that it just does a lot of damage? I don't want to hit a 12000 HP demon and have it only do half damage or even 90% damage.

9. Rilman

Rilman Avatar

I'm glad you posted this or I might have wasted mine, not knowing what it did, thankyou.

Raxhelm likes this.
  10. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

I'm still not sure what it does.

11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I'm unsure... I don't intend to use mine. You realize it's basically a one-shot consumable, right? It breaks irreparably on use.

DancingShade likes this.
  12. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

Whatever you do, just don't poke it up your nose accidently... or scratch yourself while scraping your beard off ... that would be very... well, I'd like to say "funy" but one might have another point of view here.... :)

Derium likes this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I've used the sword on a troll before, no it doesn't kill it in one hit. Two swords wouldn't kill it in two hits. It's just got too many hit points. (That's ok though, I've killed a troll by myself at level 47)

I don't remember how much damage points the swords do, but it's like 900 or something. So just about any other player is going to be a dead person, then POOF your sword is gone forever.

What I'd be most interested in hearing is if anyone has killed or been killed with a sword yet. I had asked the devs to create a book that would automatically update as each sword use took place, forever chronicling who used the sword and what they killed/attempted to kill with it. I thought that would've been really cool. Perhaps they could still do this using the logs?

In any event, the swords are very cool and I also plan on mounting mine on the wall some day, unless there's a real need to use them. :)

14. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Later on, there are supposed to be advanced recipes that require the broken sword or it's salvaged components to make a new weapon.
    Right now the best use for them is to save them until the economy can afford to buy them.

There were some bug reports against the sword not actually killing in one shot, so I think most of us are not going to be pioneers with them, and wait until those that do go out and use them find something worthy of them for the rest of us to use them on.
    Right now best to just leave them in the bank and wait for some day, they are rare, and every day they become more rare.

Rilman and Leelu like this.
  15. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Previously I killed a troll using both of my crystal swords. He actually killed me too at the same time. It was pretty epic.

Derium, Rilman and Raxhelm like this.
  16. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

I am glad I had to go away from my computer for a bit because I had planned to go hit that demon with my sword and report the results back here. Now I think I will wait. That's really stupid that it does not kill in one hit. Wasn't that exactly what a glass sword did in Ultima?

How many HP does a troll have anyway?

Has anyone see anything with more than 12000 HP? What's the purpose of the demon Tharsis Vrul in Solania Catacombs anyway? I don't see a door or chest around him. He's the most bad ass thing I have seen in SOTA so far.

17. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I hit the troll in Nightshade Pass with mine in a previous release, it didn't kill him but it did get him down to less than 10% (which still wasn't enough for me to actually kill him). I'll wait until we see some more functionality around them, like that mentioned above by @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos and @Rofo , before I attempt to use it now we're persistent.

18. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I remember a glass sword from one of the old Ultima's, I think it did 127 damage, but that was as I recall enough to kill just about anything in that game. The scale of things in games these days are very different from back then, though.

19. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Now I wish I had tested mine before final wipe.

If it is really going to like an Ultima Glass Sword, it should kill ANYTHING in the game in one hit.

20. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

Anything but Lord British. I am pretty sure the Glass Sword could not kill LB in all of the Ultimas.

From the sotawiki it says
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Founder_Crystal_Sword

"One of the Early Founder Rewards for the Founder Pledge level is the Crystal Sword! Uniquely identifiable as a Founder’s sword, it kills almost any enemy you encounter with a single blow, but shatters after a single use. (Let it be known that Lord British is impervious to the Crystal Sword)"

and from the Founder pledge it says
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=35139

"
    [​IMG]
    Crystal Sword
    Kill almost any PvE enemy you encounter with a single blow using your Crystal Sword! The Crystal Sword, uniquely identifiable as a Founder's sword, shatters after a single use. (Let it be known that this sword has virtually no effect against other players in PvP!)"

So according do this it should kill almost any PvE enemy but be rather useless in PvP. Since it's effectively useless in PvP that would be one reason it would be useless against LB.

The FAQ says
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=19#faq_17

"Will I be able to kill Lord British in the game?
    There is a long standing tradition of players attempting to do this in Richard’s games… and who are we to break tradition?"

So now I am confused again. The sword according the pledge should kill almost any PvE target. What does this "almost" mean? Normal creatures but not trolls and demons and dragons?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.