Skill gains and collar recovery?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Julz, Sep 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julz

Julz Avatar

Hi all,

For me at least it seems a collar still gets consumed on every attempt which makes this skill redundant. It would be easy to fix so I'm thinking this may be intentional to slow taming progression or it may be a deliberate but temporary measure to cap taming progression while the Devs figure out a more balanced approach going forward.

Granted the old path of ramping up collar recovery and then going out spamming animals you had no chance to tame was a poor and unsatisfying taming system. Personally I think all skills should only advance (take from experience pool) on a successful attempt, more advanced successes like taming a difficult creature or crafting a high level item should yield more experience. As it currently stands using a skill is mostly as side show, farming experience into your pool and then spamming something easy to move that experience into your skill tree is unfortunately the name of the game right now.

2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I had a post rolling around kinda regarding this.
    I fully think leveling pet Combat Training passive should only go up when actually using said pet.
    Collar recovery is definitly broken and is yet to recover me a single collar. And the spamming heal to level every taming skill is utterly lazy and i cant see it not being adjusted soon.
    They recently made combat training have more kick, but still stupid there is 0 gain to using your pet, over spamming the skills while sitting in your house.

3. RoStudios

RoStudios Avatar

The whole line will probably get redone. Taming has become a costly skill tree. Much silver is required to get taming high. I have aver 600 points in the Taming tree, I think that the power of our pets should reflect this. I don't feel that we should have to wait until out pets hit 200 skill to be powerful. I hear they are working on it. We will just have to hope.

Mikeyta likes this.
  4. Leeford

Leeford Avatar

Yeah, I raised Tame Creature to 81 but have not leveled a single point since last release. My Collar Recovery is only in the 50's but I burned thru my stash of 60 collars without a single collar being recovered.

5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Is that still broken, collar recovery? I was taming something two days ago and know it did not consume a collar every missed attempt, but would when I successfully tamed (which is correct imo).. I would test again, but collars aren't the easiest to come by! So I cannot test.

6. Leeford

Leeford Avatar

Well I ran out of collars last week sometime but have closely followed the patch notes in search of this specific thing getting addressed and have not seen anything in patch notes either as a fix or even as a known issue.

What is your collar recovery skill at if I may ask?

Fister Magee likes this.
  7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

If I remember correctly (@work currently) the glyph is around 53 I think.. and I think the recovery is about 60%, which I'd say was around what I was hitting. VERY much guessing my numbers atm! :)

Leeford likes this.
  8. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Tested yesterday, burned through about 35-40 collars on mobs ranging from 10% to success all way to 25% . Not a single collar recovered.
    Collar recovery is high 60s i believe.
    Either way, even if it was 25% chance to recover.. thats over 150 collars ive used with 0 recoverd. Someone said it was because i was taming the wrong levels? So to test that i do a wide variety every single time. I even tried 10 on all 1% chance. (apparenlty people crank reovery to 80-90 then do 1% chance to level taming ) And not a single recover.
    And no patch notes have acknowledged it yet.

Mikeyta and Acred like this.
  9. agra

agra Avatar

It's broken, and there's no fix in sight. Don't waste your money, just leave Taming until there's a mention of it in the patch notes.
    Hard to believe the devs have left it broken this long and let people burn all their silver/mats on such a broken mechanic. :(

Fenrir the Hunter likes this.
  10. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

To add to my story from above, I was taming bunnies and a young stag.. the young stag is what I had failed on a few times (lol!) and I think the breaking collar thing is gonna break more collars the scarier a creature is.. therefore maybe mine was working when faced with my approachable targets? :) I believe that is a thing they added for taming, the stronger a creature is, the more it affects the collar recovery negatively? Anyway, not sure, might be working as intended.. but it is clear that this needs adjustment to make taming harder things a bit less costly. I am fairly certain devs will look at these hidden things...

Acred likes this.
  11. Julz

Julz Avatar

Massive benefit for those who levelled Taming before R33... mine was at 77 before this release and I'm wishing I had pushed it harder now. The old path of getting collar recovery up and taming difficult creatures with minimal collar losses looks like it's gone forever now. The increase in the cool down time alone has made progression much slower ever if one did have unlimited collars.

A very unpopular path but one that would be fairer to new players would be to introduce a less punitive taming progression system and to deal with the over abundance of advanced tamers this early in the game via a haircut to pre R33 taming skill achievements. Slicing 20% from the taming experience pool and returning it to the general pool would be one method. As horrible as that sounds it would allow the team to make taming progression fun again without the fear of an overabundance of high level tamers.

Acred likes this.
  12. Hawkthalas

Hawkthalas Avatar

Just for the record, yesterday i made some tests with collar recovery... not completely sure but it seems that collar recovery works better when the percentage of tame is higher... for example, 1% or less -> almost 100% of looses, 30-40% of taming possibility -> ~ the percentage of collar recovery skill... not completely sure because i tested this only with 10 collars, but seems that this may be the issue.

Acred likes this.
  13. Julz

Julz Avatar

I think you're right based on my last batch I used on a Large Red Spider, chance was 10% but I managed to actually recover a collar which was not happening at all on 1 percenters
    The scaling for difficulty does make sense although seems a bit overdone. Before you used to be happy if your taming was successful and you used a collar because you ended up with a usable pet, now you hope like mad you fail because you invariably end up with a pet too low to be viable for you...

Acred likes this.
  14. Hawkthalas

Hawkthalas Avatar

Also not completely sure, but i think that when not failing, it ticked a skill gain in my tests, i suppose i will give it another try this week to see the outcomes.

Acred likes this.
  15. Khival Xeromus

Khival Xeromus Avatar

is collar recovery still broken? I have over 100 collar recovery but only 20 taming because I figured why raise taming and waste the collars when i can wait until i get a high recovery rate?

If it's not broken is there any documentation about how this works? The description is obviously wrong if it isn't broken. It's really getting irritating that noone seems to have a clue what is going on with this skill.

16. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

This release collar recovery is fixed. I was able to gain 10 taming levels and loose 2-3 collars. Took me an hour or two.went from 70 to 80 in taming My collar recovery is 95.

Mikeyta likes this.
  17. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Can confirm

They fixed with the patch. Took taming up 20 points at expense of 6 collars.
    ( honestly its almost tooo easy to recycle now lol )

So much for all that *never ever will they fix it * talk lol

Duke Gréagóir and Fister Magee like this.
  18. Khival Xeromus

Khival Xeromus Avatar

awesome thanks for the info! I would still love to know the exact formula of how it's all calculated though. This is a community born from a game fueled by math gurus. You would think the devs would give more detailed information about how things work knowing this.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.