reason to play Quests ?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Lord Gorynych, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Resolute

Resolute Avatar

Um... Yes please.

2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]

georgegad and Acred like this.
  3. Tibs

Tibs Avatar

A 'reason to quest' will vary with the values of the player, and that isn't something the writers can determine. If the player doesn't like reading a tale they aren't going to appreciate living out that tale as it virtually unfolds. It seems to me, then, that it is up to the player, given the story being told is well written. Individually it isn't obvious whether it is the quality of the story or the quality of the player that determines the worth of a quest. But if many players enjoy the quest and its story, but you do not see its value, then maybe complaining about it is really complaining about something in yourself.

Pikegirl and Time Lord like this.
  4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I found the quest backgrounds and storyline interesting, but this was completely overshadowed by the clunky, unintuitive task/journal interface, the non-working content, the "guess the keyword" routine, having to resort to forums or wiki in almost every case to figure out what I'm doing wrong or what I'm supposed to do. And in the end, getting no reward, nothing, nil, not even a single point of xp or a single gold coin, for most of them, put me off it entirely.

The handful of starter quests in Soltown are alright, get a bit of gold/xp. The main questline was a huge letdown. The virtue books was interesting, and you got some deco you can show off at the end - that's cool, I'd do more quests if I could have a bunch of plaques and trophies to display in my house - at least you get something. The time it takes to read the quests and travel around the known world to do them is much better used grinding if you're after gold or xp.

5. Lord Gorynych

Lord Gorynych Avatar

Agree, and this is the one of most frustrating things in sota. If you got many quests, you have to spend a lot of time to find necessary clues among tens of pages in journal. If finding relevant information for the quest requires 20 minutes of reading journal junk, I'd definitely give up.

One recent example. Yesterday I gifted SotA account to a friend who was unable to pass Blood River scene in the start.
    She spent an hour talking to all the NPCs and was unable to realize that she only needed damn book and dagger inside one of building. All NPC speeches were vague and misleading. The option to gave up quest and just open the gate was removed.
    After being stuck in starting location for a hour, she just returned the account and "thanked" for wasting her time and nerves.

Epiphany and Time Lord like this.
  6. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

=FLASH QUEST= could be an option for the time being while the Devs are concentrating on other aspects of the game.

It provides a living quest framework in a multiplayer enviroment, where your actions can determine how the Story Arc pans out in future.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. KnownInGameAsGeorge

KnownInGameAsGeorge Avatar

Guardian clones you say? Hrmmmm, yep, Ok, Im sold. Where do I sign up?

jammaplaya and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.