Confused MMO or Not? ? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jpinks, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpinks

jpinks Avatar

Ok kinda confused as to if this is a MMO game or single player? Not seeing how it can be both?

2. Jaana98

Jaana98 Avatar

As I understood it, it is not a massive multi player game. Which is GOOD! It is multi player and single player. That was what I understood...I could be entirely bonkers tho. :)

3. Yospeck

Yospeck Avatar

From the FaQ:

"Yes, you will be able to play with your friends! Multiplayer games encourage social bonds that go far beyond what can be accomplished in a solo player game. I remember the depth of these bonds in players who met in-game only to get married in real life, how people who died in the real world were deeply mourned and celebrated by their online friends whom they may never have met face to face. Though Shroud of the Avatar won?t be a massively multiplayer online role playing game, it will be a multiplayer game. We will be describing this in more detail in our upcoming community blogs."

So stay tuned.

4. EmberEye

EmberEye Avatar

"Though Shroud of the Avatar won?t be a massively multiplayer online role playing game, it will be a multiplayer game"

Well, I'm quite confused aswell! IMO it may mean that you will play with your friends in some kind of local servers, but I'm not quite sure about that...

5. Hatsu

Hatsu Avatar

I am slightly confused as well.

The Kickstarter page states that "Player housing will live in the persistent shared world, so real estate will have location value", but I fail to see how that value could be achieved unless the world is shared by a large number of people.

I am sure this will be one of the most frequently discussed issue, and one that they will clarify in a timely manner.

6. twinturbonet

twinturbonet Avatar

It's a multiplayer game with instances.

7. Malgarth

Malgarth Avatar

Wouldn't it be better for everyone if they made 2 game modes one for persistent world mmo like feeling and one for single player / multiplayer with friends experience?

I mean I really wanna play with people but I'm not sure if any of my friends are gonna get it...

EDIT: doesn't matter what the game becomes I want it to happen anyway that's why I have already pledged :)

8. naish

naish Avatar

it is a single player with co-op.

9. twinturbonet

twinturbonet Avatar

If this game is like Ultima Online but with better graphics, take my money!!

If you update the graphics a bit more and make it just like UO, take my bank account!!!

:)

10. Certhas

Certhas Avatar

Its a multiplayer game that you can play with your friends and meet people around towns.

11. ArturoGurrola

ArturoGurrola Avatar

I think what Krythorian said will be the final result.
    The MMO is where the houses are, and when you venture the game creates instances.

12. Hatsu

Hatsu Avatar

So something similar to Star Citizen?

13. Adar

Adar Avatar

Lol, not an mmo? Thar was the fun of uo, being able to run out in the world and play with random people. 'Chatroom' based multiplayer games are soo lame. And no mmo=no pvp. Nobody i know will play this

14. BlackMagix

BlackMagix Avatar

I'm confused too. What I'm getting is that this is a persistent online world where I can see peoples belongings and homes but not the people who own them; unless they're my friend in Real Life. So as somebody who doesn't have many friends who play RPG's is this game for me?

15. Jaana98

Jaana98 Avatar

I would think you could met 'new' folks here on the board if you liked to play w others. I prefer single player so that nasties can't mess with my game playing enjoyment.

16. BlackMagix

BlackMagix Avatar

@Jaana98 - I have no doubt I could meet new friends here. It just sounds like they're gutting what I consider the best part of Ultima Online, random encounters with strangers. I just don't see the point of seeing someones house and not having the chance to meet them. Some of my best memories from UO was meeting my neighbors and chatting over an ale.

17. Tormas Galka

Tormas Galka Avatar

Well is there going to be a player economy with crafting? Seems you have to have to be able to interact with a sizable audience to have a viable worthwhile system.

18. sklurb

sklurb Avatar

Would like to know how many players will be able to play simultaneously per server and if the game will be marketed with modding and/or tools in mind.

19. BlackMagix

BlackMagix Avatar

@Tormas Galka - Probably an auction house.

20. Atta_Kquast

Atta_Kquast Avatar

In theory, this game should build on their work of the Poker & Ultimate Collector mechanics, which they have stated all along. UC has implemented housing, quests, promos, deco, "crafting" as examples.

I have no idea in those games what might represent real-time player interaction. In UC, it is very delayed and minimal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.