What melee weapon do you currently use v34?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pariah007, Oct 2, 2016.

?

What melee weapon do you swing?

Poll closed Oct 12, 2016.
  1. 1 handed sword/shield

11.3%
  2. Dual Wield

16.9%
  3. 2 handed sword

26.8%
  4. 2 handed halbert

19.7%
  5. 2 handed hammer/axe

15.5%
  6. Smash my face into target, currently doing more damage than primary weapon...

9.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pariah007

Pariah007 Avatar

I was one of the veeeery few who used 2 handed axe/hammer. With the current "situation", I no longer crit at nearly the amount I should be according to my stats (not saying I should crit at every hit). My damage strength bonus is now "high" compared to "very high" before (currently same as 2 handed sword) and my base damage is lower than 2 handed sword. In a system where 90+% of melee fighters were already using 2 handed swords, I dont see any reason to play a bludgeoning based char except for the fact that I have close to 700 points into it.

I know melee / bows got hit across the board, but it seems bludgeoning got hit the most, with lower crit, lower strength bonus (on a strength based weapon) AND lower base damage but noone says anything because almost noone was playing it to start with.

With that out of the way, what is your current weapon of choice?

2. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Trust me, we have complained about bludgeon for a while, but no one seems to care is the difference. 2 releases it has been messed up with the base attack, with only the glyphs working right (and the excessive crits keeping me from switching while hoping they fix it).

3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I use a bludgeon but its pretty much just to autoattack things to death when I'm out of focus and/or for groundpound.
    Aside from that, using fist spells tends to be higher damage.

Vrunk Hrrk and Jivalax Azon like this.
  4. Pariah007

Pariah007 Avatar

Well, they "fixed excessive crits". Now they are far below what they should be according to your stats and the stats of your weapon.

Vrunk Hrrk and Jivalax Azon like this.
  5. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Still using my +12 drain health 2h sword.

+10 1h Sword and shield the damage reduction doesn't outweigh the time it takes to Kill something so in the end I take more damage.

While I have the other two schools gm'd my weapons aren't as good to allow me to switch over.

And yes my crit rate isn't worth factoring in currently.

6. NZguzzi

NZguzzi Avatar

Yes totally gimped 2 handed.
    2 handed sword is now utterly pointless.
    Sword and board wins hands down as the preferred option on paper and in game testing.
    Better overall defence, better overall stat gain, damage same once MC/enchanted

2 handed should do the most damage by far, we are sacrificing the defence and stat slotment for it.
    Lets just make crafted Khopesh and be done with it shall we? Farewell to thee beloved under powered two handed butter knife.

Epiphany and Jivalax Azon like this.
  7. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I'd be carrying this thing that's in the image below if I had one... I don't even remember what it was called. One of the guys in the party I was playing with yesterday pulled it off a mob.... I think it looks awesome.

[​IMG]

Fister Magee, Tahru and Jivalax Azon like this.
  8. Ingot Knucklesmith

Ingot Knucklesmith Avatar

2 handed weapons are terrible now. I'm a 2H Warhammer user and it's just brutal. Seriously considering dropping all my points in Bludgeons.

9. Vidgrip

Vidgrip Avatar

Your poll didn't have a choice for me. I was and still am using a handaxe (bludgeon) and leaving offhand free to reduce fizzle. I know, I'm doing it wrong. But it's fun and I'm happy with it.

Fister Magee, 4EverLost, moko and 2 others like this.
  10. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

When my 2H hammer breaks I do this too, usually picking up a thug's 1H warhammer. Works nicely.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  11. Pariah007

Pariah007 Avatar

It sounds like you guys aren't using them as primary dps weapons as a melee char? I do the vast majority of my damage w the weapon which got the "fix" bigtime

12. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

Two handed mace user here. Yup, and the skill tree has worthless skills (why in melee would I want to knock an opponent away? Because I like his friends getting in a few hits while I wait for him to get up and come back to me? Guess that helps armor skill?)

I like the look of the bludgeoning weapons and it goes with the persona of the character, but my alt with a 35 skill in bow still does more damage than my 80 mace skill with high strength etc. etc. So, as long as I want to look cool and bash things way under my level two-handed bludgeon is great! Otherwise, disappointing. Certainly think it is time for some bludgeon love.

13. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I was using bludgeon until recently as well, but it felt very underwhelming. All the skills seem kinda bland and interchangeable. The only reason I chose bludgeon to begin with was because I wanted to wield a two handed axe, but when all the skills show maces on them it just doesn't feel right at all.

I switched to polearms at the moment, but honestly not super happy with that either, but at least there is less passives to worry about. None of the weapon skills seem particularly useful to be honest so maybe that's the core problem. I've been hesitant to switch to swords because I wasn't a fan of the two handed sword animations (seems very very weird to me that you stab with a 6 foot long sword.)

I think honestly at this point I may end up just only using melee weapons for auto attack damage, and use other skills for clicking.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  14. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Cuthbert, Undead Bane! :D Free and Good!

15. Vidgrip

Vidgrip Avatar

That is correct, in my case. About half of my hotbar attacks are air magic, the other half are bludgeon. So I would not feel the bludgeon nerf as much as you are. My condolences :-(

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  16. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Wet noodle

Jivalax Azon, NZguzzi and Tahru like this.
  17. NZguzzi

NZguzzi Avatar

Another defunct 2 handed sword user?
    Melee just seems so under powered compared to magic atm.

18. Swan

Swan Avatar

- AOE from Ground Pound, havent worked probably since wipe. so thats about glyphs working right (have been bug reported nobody cares lol)
    also someone did say even mobs being stunned/knockdown they still keep attacking

(edited text out, nomore nesessary)

also reminder of Q4 update
    "Combat will continue to be balanced and will expand to include cover as well as a refactor of Damage Types and Resistances"
    so probably: piercing,slashing and crushing types coming

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  19. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

After all the recent nerfs to my 2-handed sword my next 'melee' weapon will probably be a 2-handed staff as I switch to a caster build. :mad:

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

A bow! Owait.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.