For the sake of my sanity.....

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Harclubs, Oct 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harclubs

Harclubs Avatar

....please fix the bloody targeting system.

Tonight, in one of the mines, I fought 2 kobolbs armed with a wand and shield and so used only fist spells and shield bash, with the occasional aoe lightning spell (2nd tier before lightning, forget it's name). Even at melee range, my character kept swapping attacks from one to the other for no &*^*% reason. So instead of killing one Kobolb and then moving onto the other, I was fighting two kobolbs right to the end. And yes, I did select then double click my original target. And the reason I was fighting two kobolbs instead of one is that my second fire arrow decided it didn't like my initial choice of targets and wanted to attack a different kobolb.

LET ME CHOOSE MY OWN TARGETS because it feels like the targeting A.I. is actually on the side of the kobolbs and wants to see me die.

liz_the_wiz, Numa, Peabo and 14 others like this.
  2. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

Having no issue with the targeting system at all right now and I am fighting 2+ mobs at a time. I do shift-click to target lock every target (when sucessful you will see thier health bar pop up next to your own) and if I need to switch to another target I do the same thing. Are you doing that? Even if I happen to hit another target with a ranged spell (say if it happens to come btween my main target and myself) that target lock doesn't change. Sometimes it is tricky to target lock something that is behind other mobs (like that mage or archer behind a fighter) but I would expect it should be in that scenario.

Numa and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  3. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

Have you tried the shift/lock target key? Mine is G, as long as the creature is in range and visual arc there shouldn't be any trouble.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  4. Harclubs

Harclubs Avatar

Thanks for that folks, I didn't know about the shift-click, or the g key. I was told that double clicking after selecting a target sets that target as the target being targeted....
    But to be quite honest, I could do without a new fancy targeting system. As a player, I like to play the game and that means being able to select my own targets without the computer telling me I'm wrong. How about an option to dispense with fancy pants targeting and just allow a player to select a target with just a click? That way, devotees of the new targeting system can enjoy it without the rest of us pulling our hair out in frustration.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    GraveDncer and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

even shift clicking, melee will often switch what i'm attacking if something else edges its nose a bit closer to me.

himmelweiss22, zyxe, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  6. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

I get that if another creature steps in front of my ranged target. That probably what's happening to the Melee players, and likely being impacted more due to the closeness of (screen coverage) blocking creature. Port may have to reduce the sensitivity.

It's likely a bug.

7. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

If they did that then the Devs wouldn't be able to grief their casual players (as that's the only reason I see for the various targeting changes being implemented over the last year).

Leelu likes this.
  8. Harclubs

Harclubs Avatar

Yeah, just shift-clicked against 2 wolves and it made not a lick of difference. My character still alternated targets despite my favored target being in melee range.

In an amusing turn of events, I was one in one of the mines with a friend farming some silver, when we both got jumped by an Earth elemental each. We decided to come together and focus fire, to get rid of the vibrating annoyances in a more efficient manner. Well, that was the plan. What actually happened was that his targeting switched to my target and my targeting switched to his target, and so we ended up finishing one another's mobs.

Numa and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  9. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

And THAT'S why it best to hunt in pairs. 8^)

Numa likes this.
  10. Dwalin Bombardin

Dwalin Bombardin Avatar

I also find when self buffing it's nice to press F1 real quick to ensure I don't accidentally buff my pet (which happened a lot in the past, prior to my F1 procedure) :)

11. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Your in select mode right ? Like,.. hit tab.. then as soon as you double click someone it locks the target.. makes deciding between each target easier.

12. Harclubs

Harclubs Avatar

Yep, select mode and, nope, it doesn't lock. Targeting sucks at the moment and it's a core mechanic. It MUST be fixed because it feels like the game is playing itself. What I don't understand is why they are doing it. Okay, leave out tab targeting if you must, but don't replace it with some bizarre and incomprehensible system that seems to use the lunar cycle when choosing who your character wants to kill.

PLEASE let me choose my own target because the computer is s@#t at choosing targets!!

13. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Since the reticle view was introduced into the game, the players will now have to put the mob they want to kill toward the center of the screen regardless of whether you need lock the target or even if you're in cursor mode.

That change took away my usual play style for many releases, which was the "tactical" view where I could pan the camera 360 and zoom out all the way and still able to attack the target that I want.

After awhile I get used to the current control and just kinda deal with it, though.

14. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I do not have trouble with targeting. I look at the target I want to hit, and I hit that target. Works with two monsters who are right next to each other as well. I also regularly fight groups of monsters. I'm always in cursor-mode, I don't like the other mode where the camera moves as the mouse moves.

If there's a melee monster on me that I don't want to hit, I either turn away from it or move a little past it and look at the archer (so much damage) or what not, that I prefer to kill first (even if it would make more sense to have to kill a melee first).

15. himmelweiss22

himmelweiss22 Avatar

The current Targeting-System just sucks.
    It sucked when it was first patched into the game, and as of now, today: it still just sucks.

And it is really annoying that i always buff someone else instead of myself.
    (Even happens if i had targeted myself with F1 before btw.)

They had tab-targeting, it was so much better...

16. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

I luckily have all AoE and frontal arc abilities (other than Death Touch)

Seems less buggy to have no target for me.

Hate doing some 180 spin when I pop a Death Touch though....

17. Numa

Numa Avatar

I ran into the worst case scenario for the new targetting system when i came back to play after missing many releases. Popped into Kingsroad in archer configuration and was chased (as usual) by many small spiders. Had a hell of a time killng just one since rhe target reticle jittered like a crazed bumblebee from one spider to the other.

A toggle to turn the new system off would be greatly appreciated since the old one works much better for me in situations like this.

18. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

It's all about positioning, and the system makes you really work to hold your target while in combat. It takes some 'getting used to', but once you do, it's easy. It's all about position.

19. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

But not in SotA...

If you really want to see a decent Targeting System once, play Black Desert Online and compare their "decent" Targeting System with SotA and tell me again that it's all just about positioning here in SotA.

Sorry, but the Targeting-System here in SotA just fails...

20. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

The most frustrating thing for me is that pets get in the way, so you can be frantically trying to heal someone and a pet sucks up all your heals, or even you're trying to heal yourself, and even alt+heal doesnt always seem to target me, the pets can somehow suck them up.

I have been using g to select, and confess, I didnt try shift+click, but Ive also seen the target move, even when I selected them with g..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.