Crafting skills do not YET decay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zapatos80, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Anyone else think crafting skills should not decay at all? Especially given how excruciatingly expensive and hard the masterworking skills are to get up, it seems weird to tie them to adventuring/death in any way. Just wondering what the general opinion is on this.

2. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I don't think any skills should decay. I prefer a hard cap.

Kaisa, Gravidy, Fizzlebang and 7 others like this.
  3. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

TBH I like the soft cap and decay system, it allows for much more flexibility which is great in a non-class system (just my opinion so far).

Just seems weird to apply the same mechanics to crafting, and encourages you to make alts to craft that never go adventure in risky areas, which is something they wanted to discourage.

4. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

I'm with you on this. I don't think crafting skills should decay on death.

x_Selene_x and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  5. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Well I love having alts. Keeps the game more fun for me. I love classes too and the ability to make several different characters who do different things. Part of how games last longer for me...just having 1 character who can do it all isn't as much fun. Being punished by taking my skills away is even less fun.

6. Cosmos

Cosmos Avatar

I want a difficult game, not a punitive game. For adventurer or craft skills, this system of decay is absolutely no fun. Skill cap system is a much better idea.

7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I think crafting should be a hard capped system, and decay only affect adventuring skills.

Rosemourne, Moiseyev Trueden and Swan like this.
  8. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Given the absolutely insane amount of materials and time spent grinding ressources/XP needed to GM even a single Masterworking skill at the moment, I don't see the need to hard cap anything in the crafting tree. If anyone manages to do it all, congrats on a massive dedication achievement!

9. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Personally, I hate the soft cap decay concept. Very much agree that it is not fun and only punitive to casual players.

10. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Soft decay on death = sounds awful with how they listed it.
    I will farm mobs non stop which will get easier and easier, and ill sit here and GM every single adventuring skill with no penalty as long as i dont go AFK and die by screwing around. Hard Cap should have been done, this system sounds like they WANT everyone to be god like and be able to play any role.
    Why have multiple characters? Lol.. Even skyrim you coulndt do EVERYTHING with 1 character.

Crafting HAS to have some kinda cap. Wish it was hard cap, decay is silly. Hard cap makes you specialize, meaning you actually have to buy or interact with other characters. Decay means i can max every crafting skill as well , and just play it safe when im farming ( i already can farm every kinda ore without a chance of dieing. Usually i go nap and let the GF farm silver for me and she can do it with just auto attacks) .

11. brhanson2

brhanson2 Avatar

Crafting skills should NEVER decay.

12. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

For the passive player as I have become lately due to RL things i dont care much for the decay. As far as crafting i think if you spend the time working up the skills then they should stay not decay. But i guess this could regulate some folks from being GM of Everything. There are some things i wont GM in as there is no need for it but for some things i dont want to get hit with decay just because I am not able to be on. Same with my adventuring skills. Hard enough for me to get gains as it is with that stupid thing that tracks my pool. I am not always able to get out there and fight the bigger mobs to increase the pool as I am primarily doing crafting stuff. I do like to go out and hack and slash things from time to time but most of my time is spent resource gathering so I will never have a huge adventure pool.

13. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

I don't know if you've been crafting, but as of now you need what 30-40k silver ore to GM a single masterworking? Plus a ton of mats to craft the 200+ weapons/armors you'll need to break to get there. And of course the time required to gather all that or even if you buy it all, the XP you'll need.

I think that alone requires heavy specialization. Anyone can make an ok weapon with minimum skills. But for the high-end stuff, you will definitely need to buy it from dedicated crafters.

Fister Magee likes this.
  14. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I don't think they should decay... maybe a different system would work better.

As is, I've GM'd a lot off blacksmithing seems alchemy skills but ignored everything else so I didn't see myself as a jack of all trades. Even I'd feel decay with my limited set of skills at 105 to 110. Decay shouldn't stop an enchanter from hitting 150... it should stop players from GMing tailoring, cooking, blacksmithing, carpentry, alchemy, smelting, tanning, etc.

15. brhanson2

brhanson2 Avatar

While I agree with this there needs to be some sort of "Death Penalty". Could be damage to armor or maybe you earn an exp debt that you can work down with killing. Something like that.

Lord Baldrith and K1000 like this.
  16. Vidgrip

Vidgrip Avatar

I'm looking forward to skill decay. My highest skills should be those that I use most often. Decay can accomplish this nicely. I see no need to treat crafting differently. Of course the entire system needs to be properly tuned for this to work. If the primary skill I must use as a master tailor turns out to be ... mining ... then it isn't going to work.

17. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

Death should have consequences, I like the decay in the adventuring skills. People just die on purpose now to get to good mining areas, that is so silly.

Crafting should decay also, but I don't know the best way to implement it. Use it or loose I suppose.

And making it too easy to GM in more that one or two crafting skill trees needs to be contemplated too.

18. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Allocating adventure experience into combat skills results in faster future adventure experience gains, whereas that's not true for production experience other than when you are just getting started. It wouldn't make any sense to have similar decay systems for both without making some big changes first.

19. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Yes, especially since crafting skills is mostly about spending mats and sitting at crafting stations... makes no sense that death would impact crafting skills in the same way as adventuring skills.

20. brhanson2

brhanson2 Avatar

Maybe if you cut yourself on the table saw you should lose a few xp.... :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.