Thoughts on new masterwork material for tailor?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sephros, Nov 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sephros

Sephros Avatar

I've been trying to wrap my brain around an idea to seperate silver from being used in master working tailoring. A black smith goes to a mine and grabs all the iron/copper in the world as there is massive amounts on semi decent respawn times, and then goes down another level or 2 to gather the silver needed to to enhance the material that was just gathered upstairs.

A tailor on the other hand has limited supply in zones where there is usually few cotton plants, with a semi slower respawn. So most tailors need to rely on agriculture to grow massive amounts of plants to get the amount of cotton they need. They then need to go into a mine, and to the bottom level to gather ... Metal? To me this just doesn't add up.

How about a new type of growable / gatherable specific to tailoring. Maybe add an agriculture option to grow silk worms, or some other type of material / plant that could be used to enhance cloth / leather. This to me seems the more logical approach as there is already a pattern established with the way tailors need to rely on agriculture to make any significant amounts of goods. A blacksmith relies on mining and field dressing. A carpenter relies on forestry, mining and field dressing. A cook relies on field dressing and agriculture. A tailor relies on agriculture,mining,field dressing and foraging.

Obviously this is just the first rendition and it will take the smart devs to really flesh this idea out, but I think it would be a great way to specialize crafters and gathers into different fields. Having a tailor with maxed mining skills seems counter intuitive to the reliance on agriculture that will eventually be fleshed out as well.

Rada Torment, Tahru, Snazz and 7 others like this.
  2. Tylias

Tylias Avatar

ooo I like the silk idea. Maybe cashmere and angora also (particularly if there is a way to get it without killing the poor animal, like maybe just harvesting from a pet once every few days. We can't milk cows right now, either).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.