The 40 meter xp sharing change.... really?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Khival Xeromus, Nov 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Dont know how even the 40 meters really effects anything. I'll take my alt and just /follow my main and rack him up exp.

2. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Perfectly stated on all levels.

3. Knightguy

Knightguy Avatar

Can we change the xp radius to be based on the monster, and another radius around players? So like the Monster would have a 100 meter radius, and have players have another 40 meter radius extension? So they could daisy chain the xp further? I mean I understand wanting not making it zone wide, but killing monsters can spread groups outs, especially if there is kiting involved. I don't think a flat 40 meters is gonna cut it. Just remembering some phoenix and dragon fights, we were super super spread out. Please turn off this feature until you fine tune it better.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Elwyn likes this.
  4. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I like this idea best I think. Give hits/heals a point system. In order to get any experience from an encounter a player would have to have at least 5% participation(or even as low as 1%.) From there, you could award experience on a tier basis. The higher the % of participation the higher the experience. To accomodate healers and those who buff other players, maybe certain activities could be alotted a higher value. For instance, damage to mobs could be worth a flat 1:1 participation rate. So, if you hit for 50HPs damage you get 50 participation points Healing or buffing(only in regards to other players in an encounter), could garner a 1.5 participation rate. If you heal a player in an encounter for 50HPs you get 75 participation points. You could then dole out experience based on participation. Maybe alot bonuses for the person who has the highest participation. Maybe even use an algorithm that rewards low-level players for participation over a certain amount and based on the difficulty of the mob. The 40m thing sounds like it would create a lot of overhead with checks.

5. Derium

Derium Avatar

My question is this: How do we know how far we are away from someone?

6. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

That's real complicated and difficult to keep straight. Straight KISS principle, each member of the team gets the highest that applies: last hit gets 100%, any hit gets 75%, hit by gets 50%, on team gets 25%.

7. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

So what was wrong with just dividing the XP amongst party members? Are they going to include rangefinders so we can ensure we are within 40m of the party leader? =P

Audacity likes this.
  8. Womby

Womby Avatar

I guess they have to do something to prevent people waiting by the entrance, passively gaining XP while other party members race through the scene. I'm not sure this is the best answer, but it is probably better than doing nothing.

@Chris Maybe you should only gain XP if you lost health at the hands of the slain enemy. No risk, no reward.

Fister Magee likes this.
  9. Knightguy

Knightguy Avatar

This would be terrible for healers... just saying

Numa, Elwyn, Themo Lock and 4 others like this.
  10. Net

Net Avatar

What??? And here I thought that being good at kiting involves avoiding the damage. Also it is rather hard to get damage when you fight in group and someone else is tank.

11. Womby

Womby Avatar

I wonder: if you do not take any risk, do you deserve a reward?

Fister Magee likes this.
  12. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Please. just because i can slow a mob and properly manouver, doesnt mean i dont risk anything by running into other mobs or being super squishy.

Anyone here actually having the 40m EFFECTING them? or is this still an assumption that you will ever even notice it.

Ps 40m is pretty much the whole plateu of the dragon or phoenix.. you MIGHT miss it if u are down the path and it dies on completly other side.. but doubt it.

I point out agian.. tested the boundries.. it wil almost not even effect average players.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  13. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I mentioned before that healing someone wounded by an enemy would count as a hit on that enemy for determining XP gain.

14. Net

Net Avatar

Taking risk and taking damage are two very different things though.

Moiseyev Trueden and Audacity like this.
  15. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

This.

Numa, Moiseyev Trueden and margaritte like this.
  16. HER0

HER0 Avatar

The problem this is supposed to solve is new avatars doing nothing, but getting xp in high level areas from parties. Making the assumption that this is a widespread problem, this new countermeasure does not take into consideration /follow, which would allow these players to get the same xp unattended, as if nothing was introduced to prevent it. Maybe they don't care if it is attended or not, but the point is to introduce risk into such a situation; it is not very dangerous for a new player who can only take aggro though being spotted first to follow closely behind their high-level party.

On the other hand, this creates multiple problems for people playing "as intended." As mentioned by others, this especially affects healers who might be on the edge of fights, but I do not have much more to add to this agument. The other issue I see which has gone unmentioned is when a large party is moving through an area, clearing out all enemies, it will often not loot (especially for skinning animals) because of the time wasted and weight accumulated instead of killing for more adventuring xp. Many times, a single person will stay behind and loot, allowing the enemy respawn timers to count down, which is good for everyone in the zone. If this person cannot gain adventuring xp when doing this, they may decide to simply clean out the zone and leave it a barren wasteland for everyone else until the bodies despawn.

Elwyn, Moiseyev Trueden and Net like this.
  17. UncleBenny

UncleBenny Avatar

Is /follow even functional currently?

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  18. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

If you are in a party with someone, yes it is. Pathing sucks though. I use it constantly when I'm lazy.

UncleBenny likes this.
  19. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

They may not gain adventuring experience but they are gaining crafting experience, which others in the party are not. This can be remedied by party members taking turns looting/skinning. Additionally, you can compensate the designated looter with a larger percentage of the draw. Other than speeding up the respawn, they aren't really contributing to the fight, nor are they taking any risk. This setup is actually more beneficial to a crafter looking for a way to harvest resources, and make money without actually having to fight. I would think this would also help to encourage more multiplayer situations.

20. HER0

HER0 Avatar

Another case that is very impacted by this change: Large boss fights. If you die near the end without someone to resurrect and do not run back in time, you miss out on the xp. Besides the fact that large bosses often do have archers shooting at either side at max range, which is the issue others have brought up.

Edit: Before, dying had no impact on xp gained from kills. How does it work now? Should one who is dead near the end of a large fight stand there, hoping for the xp and risking the auto-res debuffs? Are dead people unable to gain xp at all? I think dying already has clear penalties, and losing out on the reward from a long battle which was won should not be another.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    Elwyn and Sentinel2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.