Tiered crafting stations

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Wodin, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wodin

Wodin Avatar

Fellow gamers,
    After reading through the forums, I was thinking about an idea and hadn't seen it put forth elsewhere. If one chooses to go into crafting, one will have to use tools. As humans, we didn't go straight from sticks and stones ala 2001: A Space Odyseey to a Powermatic Table Saw. There were tiers in there, each of which provided higher quality results commensurate with the artisan's skill with the trade and the device.

This got me thinking with respect to SotA we could also utilize a similar system. Rather than going to a vendor to purchase that Powermatic, we could use our skill to produce a rudimentary plane coupled with a saw blade from a blacksmith and a method to power them via tinkering skill. Logically speaking, such a saw would be great for pine or other softwoods but would not scratch a hardwood like hickory. We could use a similar system for all skills. Over time, as crafter's skills increase, they could produce not only higher level materials and products, but also crafting stations themselves. I think this would help drive people toward the crafter's with the highest level of skill, as once people heard crafter X can make a high level tool, that person would be sought out for their ability to provide much more than end user items.

Thoughts?

2. Kal Morte

Kal Morte Avatar

I'm not sure what progression the tools have towards different kinds of materials, but I'm certain you will be crafting all your tools, from the shafts of your hammer, all the way up to the glasses for your alchemy table.

Wodin likes this.
  3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Their plan is to have at least normal, expert, and something more powerful.

I would love to see the whole world unlock slowly. So that magic, technology, etc. simply aren't there until the players effectivly group quest to build us the cites and explore the areas. Many games throttle content like this.

Wodin likes this.
  4. Wodin

Wodin Avatar

I think it's a great idea. Rather than having a super nice Estwing 18 ounce claw hammer right out of the box though, they could tier it to a stick with a rock on it, then a Harbor Freight hammer, then better and better until the GM level tool. Then again, maybe the Harbor Freight tool should go before the stick with a rock tied on!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.